Ave Q - Vegas to close May 28

Gpvegas
#0Ave Q - Vegas to close May 28
Posted: 2/15/06 at 8:57am

This makes me very sad, as I love this show.

KLAS, Channel 8 announced on the 11 PM news that Avenue Q is closing May 28th and will be replaced with Monty Python's "Spamalot." Wynn is renevating the Avenue Q Theater and it will be named the Grail Theater.

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#1re: Ave Q - Vegas to close May 28
Posted: 2/15/06 at 8:59am

This is sad but not unexpected news. It just wasn't doing well. I would have rather see it go than have songs cut to make it shorter and more appealing. I think Spamalot sucks, but it may do better in Vegas.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#2re: Ave Q - Vegas to close May 28
Posted: 2/15/06 at 9:12am

I bet Kevin McCollum is wishing he'd decided to tour it now, isn't he?

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

FeelingElectric
#3re: Ave Q - Vegas to close May 28
Posted: 2/15/06 at 9:18am

I think even though this is sad for Vegas, this is good news for the rest of us.A tour will happen now and do big buisness everywhere it goes.I am looking forward to seeing it on tour.

Drench yourself in words unspoken. Live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten. "Unwritten" Natasha Bedingfield

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#4re: Ave Q - Vegas to close May 28
Posted: 2/15/06 at 9:37am

I actually wouldn't be all that shocked if alot of touring venues decided not to book the show, as the whole 'exclusive rights' issue made them quite bitter about the show.

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup

BroadwayDoc Profile Photo
BroadwayDoc
#5re: Ave Q - Vegas to close May 28
Posted: 2/15/06 at 9:44am

I agree The8re phan, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

leeinlondon
#6My gut instinct is that it won't last in London either...
Posted: 2/15/06 at 9:45am

I really enjoyed the show with the OBC but I just don't feel like people will take to the show in London the same way they did on Broadway.

When I saw it the show felt very at home with a US cast surrounded by people brought up on Seasame Street. Here there is not quite the same overwhelming familiarity with the source inspiration and I am not sure many European tourists will have seen it at all.

My gut instincts tell me that whist us brits will happily get into the show when viewed along with an American audience, it is going to be harder sell getting people to suspend cynicism and pay top dollar to go to see an English cast in what they may perceive to be just a puppet show. I just don't think they will buy into the world of the show in the same way.

Anastasia_Beaverhausen Profile Photo
Anastasia_Beaverhausen
#7My gut instinct is that it won't last in London either...
Posted: 2/15/06 at 9:59am

It's always sad when a show closes and people loose jobs, but I believe this is a good thing. For those of us on the west coast who were not going to get Q and will not be getting Spamalot, I feel that this may have producers re-think the Vegas direction. Hopefully, Avenue Q will get out here now.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#8My gut instinct is that it won't last in London either...
Posted: 2/15/06 at 10:09am

It's sad that the show didn't do too well in Vegas. I'm sorry that it's closing, but I'm really hoping that it will tour because I would like to see this show but I'm nowhere near Vegas, and only get to NY once or twice a year.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

#9My gut instinct is that it won't last in London either...
Posted: 2/15/06 at 10:11am

Agreed James885. Even though I haven't seen the show yet, I have the cd and love all the songs on it, so I don't think it wouldv'e been all that great if they took out the songs that I liked.

Fosse76
#10My gut instinct is that it won't last in London either...
Posted: 2/15/06 at 10:33am

What some of you are forgetting is that Avenue Q alienated a lot of road presenters, and they were already insisting on changes to the show before the controversy. Thpugh it might have appeal in some markets, I wonder if it is enough for them to justify a tour. They burned a lot of bridges going to Vegas.

musicallover2008 Profile Photo
musicallover2008
#11My gut instinct is that it won't last in London either...
Posted: 2/15/06 at 10:44am

I hope Avenue Q does tour. I think there is a market for it. It would be stupid not to bring it in. In my opinion it is a hot ticket right now.

MargoChanning
#12My gut instinct is that it won't last in London either...
Posted: 2/15/06 at 10:51am

I think the producers of Q make out like bandits here. They had a guaranteed minimum from Wynn ($5 million if I remember correctly), which was more money than they could have made on the road in the same amount of time. And there's nothing whatsover stopping them from doing a multi-city tour right now post-Vegas. I would expect it should do well in many cities and venues (yeah, the tour operators and road presenters were disappointed a couple of years ago, but, trust me, they'll be lining up to book the show now). All in all, this was a win-win situation for the producers of Q.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 2/15/06 at 10:51 AM

musicallover2008 Profile Photo
musicallover2008
#13My gut instinct is that it won't last in London either...
Posted: 2/15/06 at 11:01am

I agree with you 100% Margo.

surefinewhatever Profile Photo
surefinewhatever
#14My gut instinct is that it won't last in London either...
Posted: 2/15/06 at 11:11am

i must have missed something a while back . . but how/why did Avenue Q alienate itself from tour presenters?

" I don't cause commotions, I am one."

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#15My gut instinct is that it won't last in London either...
Posted: 2/15/06 at 11:12am

How much money will the Vegas folk be losing all-together?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 2/15/06 at 11:12 AM

#16My gut instinct is that it won't last in London either...
Posted: 2/15/06 at 11:47am

I don't think any. When I saw it, it was a full house, and that was when I first moved here.

I believe Ave Q promised it would tour after winning the Tony, then didn't. Supposedly, that's the only reason it won the Tony. I dunno.

I'm just glad I got to see John.

londonbaby Profile Photo
londonbaby
#17My gut instinct is that it won't last in London either...
Posted: 2/15/06 at 11:51am

o i got too excited, i thought it said AVE Q- broadway to close

and no it wont last in london, is it transferring there?

both reached for the gun!

leeinlondon
#18Avenue Q London
Posted: 2/15/06 at 11:54am

Yes Cam Mac is producing the show in London with partial rewrites... no Gary coleman for example... opening around June with an announcement of cast and theatre next week I think.

#19Avenue Q London
Posted: 2/15/06 at 11:55am

Who's taking Gary's place? I'd love for it to be ALW.. and if they're putting out a new recording, I'd love that too.

bwayondabrain
#20Avenue Q London
Posted: 2/15/06 at 12:02pm

ha, sorry to get off topic, but the GRAIL THEATER?

haha.

#21Avenue Q Las Vegas
Posted: 2/15/06 at 12:05pm

Back on topic, it's a terrible name.

I'm looking forward to Phantom of the Opera though, even with the cuts, I think it'll be a beautiful show.

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#22Avenue Q London
Posted: 2/15/06 at 12:08pm

I agree with Margo.
Everybody wins on this one.
Except maybe Wynn, but he'll probably make up his Q losses with the Vegas SPAMALOT.
And in the meantime he can buy another Monet to help him forget.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

BreakingTheCircle07 Profile Photo
BreakingTheCircle07
#23Avenue Q London
Posted: 2/15/06 at 12:19pm

Sadness!!! I saw it in January in Vegas and loved it! I saw Rick's cast and thought the casting was dead on. The little changes/cuts at the time were good, but the whole "shortening the show" idea made me wonder the longevity of its run. I'm kinda peeved, though, that Spamalot is taking over its theatre. That show is sooooooo lame (for a total lack of better words). It's nothing but a crowd pleaser without any heart. I'm glad The Q might have a chance to tour now!

Variations on a Theme blog: http://panekattack.blogspot.com/

Cabchic
#24Avenue Q London
Posted: 2/15/06 at 12:36pm

Does this mean Spamalot will open sooner in Vegas? I'm sad to see Q end. I thought it would have done better in "Sin City". I love Spamalot but I think they were crazy to sign it for 10 years(unless I misread). (Maybe it was $10 million) The Producers is in it's 5th year and is already showing signs of age. Plus I know they are cutting segments from Spamalot as well. I guess it doesn't affect me too much though as I live in NY and am spoiled as I get to see the full versions here.

Videos