pixeltracker

BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!- Page 2

BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#25re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 3:38pm

Hahaha... I was five when the 80s ended so I can laugh AT ya'all!

yr ronin,
joey

TimeSuckage
#26re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 4:32pm

That looks like a heaping, stinking, steaming pile of ****. It'll probably be huge.

Laura Benanti is dead wrong. Her voice is too legit and she looks like Stephen Lynch's mother. There's nothing light or youthful or fresh about her. She's got a classical gravity to her that she just can't shake, sorry.

Felicia Finley looks and sounds smoking hot.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#27re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 4:40pm

Nope Joey, I live in Seattle

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#28re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 5:02pm

The music sounds awful re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Maybe Stephen Lynch isn't enough reason to see a show.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#29re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 5:10pm

It looks fun. And I don't think it's trying to be anything other than that.

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#30re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 5:14pm

Ick. Too too 80's. It takes over every scene. What ever happened to subtlety? I'd be much more interested in a show set in the 80's that was filled with slight hints and realistic set pieces. Now that would take me back. I mean, for god's sake we didn't live in a cartoon. As for musicals with 80's backdrops, I enjoyed Taboo. At least in that, the story and music were the key. not set and costume pieces. I'll still have to see for myself though...

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#31re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 5:20pm

Well to be fair - the movie wasn't subtle in 80s nostalgia either

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#32re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 5:24pm

I don't know what to think about this show. It looks like it oculd be interesting.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#33re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 5:39pm

Trust me Craig, the musical makes the film's treatment of the 80's look very very very subtle.

MrBundles Profile Photo
MrBundles
#34re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 5:41pm

the quibbler...thats exactly what I felt when I saw it. They were just trying to create a fun show, not a new, groundbreaking show with beautiful material.

Your fupa is showing.

Sassy2
#35re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 6:23pm

Seen it twice. The show is a lot of fun, the music is great. This little video clip? Not so great. I would strongly advise you not to base your opinions on this clip, but I think you can all figure that out for yourselves.

BobbyBubby- What are some of the shows you have enjoyed in Seattle? I am curious to get a sense of your taste in theatre...

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#36re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 6:31pm

Sassy2:

Recently I enjoyed Radio Golf at Seattle Rep and Swimming in the Shallows at WET.

Musical Theatre wise, I enjoyed Village's Man of La Mancha a few years back. Loved Hairspray. Loved the Throughly Modern Millie tour. Loved the Urinetown tour.

I can't imagine that the reviews in NYC are going to be much different than the ones in Seattle. Enjoy it, that's great, but keep in mind that a lot of people will not be so nice about this show.

Sassy2
#37re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 6:42pm

Did you see "Crave" at WET as well? They are doing great things... excited to see more there, for sure.

VT's La Mancha was spectacular, agreed. Ditto on Hairspray. Didn't, unfortunately, see either the Millie or Urinetown tours (primarily because I had seen them both in NYC.)

I enjoy the music a lot (back to WS here...) and will be glad to pop the cd into my car and sing along. I think it is fun, handled well for the genre they are attempting (a fusion of 80's pop and musical theatre) and lyrically generally enjoyable. I think the book gets better with each change they make, but definitely feel that (with an exception or two) the music is much stronger.

DayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
#38re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 6:47pm

I was quite unimpressed with the show as well... I saw it two days before 'opening', so don't know if much was changed before that. I found the fact that they have to constantly hit us over the head with references to the 80's (by quoting song titles) a little much. I thought it was enjoyable for a regional production, but can't imagine the show on Broadway.

And, to be fair, I am pretty easy to please.

Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

Sassy2
#39re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 6:49pm

There were changes all the way through previews into opening.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#40re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 6:51pm

I saw opening night DayDreamer and I found the 80's references to be excessive. Even if they did take out some, they didn't take out enough.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#41re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 6:53pm

And did nobody in the creative team bother to look up that Ferris Bueller came out the year after the show is set?
Updated On: 2/17/06 at 06:53 PM

rent18
#42re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 7:06pm

This show looks horrible.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#43re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 7:19pm

I don't know what to think. It looks okay, I mean, not great, but okay.

DayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
#44re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 7:24pm

That's pretty much it, jv. For me it's ok. Not great. Ok. I wouldn't want to see it again... but I can also see it finding it's own audience. I have friends who've really enjoyed it, one of them a very discerning theater fan.

Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#45re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 8:14pm

What's the point of an out-of-town tryout if we're just going to give up on the show?

I mean, I'm as cynical as they come but even I like to retain a modicum of hope that perhaps this show will work out the kinks.

I mean, for goodness' sake, don't analyze this as if it's Sondheim. I love Sondheim. And I know what Sondheim is. And I know when a show is trying to be Sondheim and when it's not.

This one is not. It's not trying to be groundbreaking. It's not trying so be anything than what it is: A light, entertaining feel good night at the theatre.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde
Updated On: 2/17/06 at 08:14 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#46re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 8:18pm

Yes but there is a way of staying smart while entertaining. If Wedding Singer could figure that out, it would probably be in better shape.

Cameron26 Profile Photo
Cameron26
#47re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 8:35pm

I've seen it twice now (once before it opened and once after) and it keeps getting better and better. I loved it the first time, but I think the changes they've made are really great and that they're heading in the right direction.

The second time I saw it the audience was howling with laughter and people were dancing their way out of the theater. Literally dancing. And yes, I'm not ashamed to say I was one of them. I CANNOT WAIT for the cast album!!!

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#48re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 8:36pm

I second DayDreamer. The constant '80s references are too excessive (not only that, but the same few jokes are recycled repeatedly). The book is a nightmare. Some of the songs were crap, but many of them were pleasant to listen to - just not very memorable.

I would also add that Felicia Finley is HOT.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#49re: BroadwayWorld Presents: 'The Wedding Singer' First Look Video!
Posted: 2/17/06 at 8:46pm

Will see if it hits TDF or Broadway Box

Poster Emeritus