munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#0Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 2:49am

We know the following seem to be shaping up as locks:

Michael Cerveris, SWEENEY TODD
John Lloyd Young, JERSEY BOYS
Harry Connick Jr., THE PAJAMA GAME

Obviously, Alan Cumming will probably be thrown in there as well, unless "Tarzan" is brilliant, or if "The Wedding Singer" and "Lestat" pull a 360 and impress us all.

As it stands, right now (Cerveris, Young, Connick), who is your choice to win the award?

Admittedly, I haven't seen THE PAJAMA GAME yes, I'm going in a couple weeks, but I imagine that is the case with the majority of Bww-ers due to it's sold out status.

However, I must say that I returned to JERSEY BOYS today (after first seeing it nearly 5 months ago), and John Lloyd Young has succeeded in seducing me. Again. And this time, even deeper.

While Cervris might gve the most nuanced, honest, undoubtedly brilliant performance of the year, I think most people will vote for someone else due to the fact that he just won an award - and we know how the Tony's feel about that...

With that said, (coming from someone who is obsessed with Cerveris as a performer), I would hands down give the award to John Lloyd Young.

With a valentine from Brantley himself and across the board raves for his performance, do you think Young, making his Broadway debut, could be this year's Sutton Foster? I sure as hell would vote for him.

What do you guys think?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Urban
#1re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 5:53am

This one is the one still more up in the air then the other major races since there still is at least 3 (as you mentioned) shows yet to open with strong male leads.

MusicalMan2 Profile Photo
MusicalMan2
#2re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 7:52am

I must say.... I bet Hugh Panaro will get a nomination for Lestat. Although the show had mixed reviews in San Fran., they are really overworking it before it opens at the Palace. He carries the whole show and from what I've heard, he is absolutely fantastic.

As for the Women's race. I will cringe if Sutton gets another nomination for the Drowsy Chaperone. (although I haven't seen it or her in it so don't everyone yell at me) I was thoroughly (no pun intended) disappointed with her performance in Little Women. This had better be Kelly O'Hara's year since she was snubbed for the Tony last year as it was given to (in my opinion) an unimpressive Sara Ramirez. Updated On: 3/12/06 at 07:52 AM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#3re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 8:37am

John Lloyd Young. Hands down.

And MusicalMan2, don't you be dissing Sutton, especially if you haven't seen her performance in DROWSY yet.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

i*heart*fame
#4re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 8:46am

Plus, musicalman2, Sutton Foster and Kelli O'Hara would not be in the same category. Sutton's part is featured, whereas Babe is a leading role.

"Don't thank your parents, if you were raised in a nurturing environment you wouldnt be in show business"--Conan O'Brien at the 2006 Emmy Awards

Urban
#5re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 8:47am

True, but Sutton's name alone might land her a leading role position. We have seen several actors with what should be featured role nominations put in the leading role category.

MusicalMan2
#6re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 8:48am

I agree, I have no right to judge her performance since I haven't seen the show. But one of my best friends saw it here in LA and thought it was just.... alright. But still, I LOVED her in Modern Millie. So I'll wait to give my full opinion until I see the mediocore show she's about to open on Broadway. Also, I don't think she's a lead in this show. Does anyone know? But I think my friend said he's more of a supporting ( aka Featured Actress) in this show instead of a lead.
Updated On: 3/12/06 at 08:48 AM

Wanna Be A Foster
#7re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 8:55am

"I agree, I have no right to judge her performance since I haven't seen the show. But one of my best friends saw it here in LA and thought it was just.... alright. But still, I LOVED her in Modern Millie. So I'll wait to give my full opinion until I see the mediocore show she's about to open on Broadway."

You say you have no right to judge her performance since you have not seen the show, yet you call the show mediocre? If "one of [your] best friends" wants to post about his/her thoughts on Sutton's performance, let them go right ahead. Don't spread dirt that clearly has no credibility or redeeming value whatsoever just for the sake of defaming ones name.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

MusicalMan2
#8re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 9:04am

Calm down "so called Wanna Be A Foster". I know you are obsessed with the Foster family and feel some need to defend them (ah.. isn't that sweet). But still, I'm just expressing my opinion. And aside from my friend's review, I haven't been impressed with what I've heard and read about the show.

Don't get your Foster panties in a bunch.... I"m sure Sutton and Hunter would still consider you for a "family position" since you are such a "wanna be Foster".

new_philosophy_girl Profile Photo
new_philosophy_girl
#9re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 9:40am

wow. such hostility on this board :)

I agree with the three obvious choices for lead actor and you can obviously tell I'm a little biased towards jly. However, I think that if Threepenny is as good as they are hyping it to be, Alan Cumming can be considered a strong possibility to take home the prize. We shall see...but as of right now I think it should go to John Lloyd Young.

Also, with this whole Sutton thing. I believe when the show played in LA she was a featured role. However, I read an article (which I will try to find) that said they added another song for her and 'expanded' her character, so perhaps she may be considered a lead. Either way I don't care, it's Sutton!!!

Sponsor me as I walk the Philadelphia AIDS Walk - Sunday, October 16, 2011. Many of our friends, family and neighbors are in desperate need of health care services and other life-saving programs, but with cutbacks in government dollars , these programs are often under-funded. Now, more than ever, your donations are needed to support organizations providing HIV/AIDS awareness, prevention education, counseling and testing and care services for people living with HIV/AIDS. http://www.aidswalkphilly.org/users/index.php/profile/detail/186643

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#10re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 10:07am

I think that there will be a Sweeney Wave, and I really do hope that Michael Cerveris wins for Sweeney Todd, I mean he is by far the best.

Wanna Be A Foster
#11re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 10:54am

Michael Cerveris: Has 1 Tony

Alan Cumming: Has 1 Tony

Harry Connick Jr.: Broadway debut, but a limited run.

John Lloyd Young: Broadway debut, brilliant reviews, WINNER.

-Kad

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#12re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 11:12am

DDtruit's list looks the most accurate.

Come on, Tarzan, Lestat, Wedding Singer - no chance for this category.

Wanna Be A Foster
#13re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 11:28am

ddtruitt, I have yet to see Bob Martin's performance, but I am very eager to. I think an upset for a newcomer in a show opening at the end of the season (DROWSY) would be awesome. I mean, JERSEY BOYS certainly has enough word of mouth going for it that it doesn't need to win a lead acting Tony to stay open. DROWSY, on the other hand, could certainly benefit from a Tony or two.

-Kad

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#14re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 12:15pm

I wouldn't count out the possibility that they give it to the most famous person in the category, which they often do. Thus, Harry Connick, Jr. could win it regardless of limited run.

But, as much as I loved Cerveris in ST, it would seem that JLY deserves to be crowned as the new Broadway star. I soooo need to get my butt to the August Wilson!

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#15re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 12:23pm

I think John Lloyd Young will win it. I need to see that show though, but somehow, my bad knee is telling me he'll win it. It aches whenever I read his name.

PS, this:

"Don't get your Foster panties in a bunch.... I"m sure Sutton and Hunter would still consider you for a "family position" since you are such a "wanna be Foster". "

is quite possibly one of the funniest insults I've ever read. "Don't get your Foster panties in a bunch". Genius! Wanna be a Foster, you should put that in your signature.

yr ronin,
joey

keatonbynumbers Profile Photo
keatonbynumbers
#16re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 12:36pm

I would really, really like Michael to win it. I think his performance is fantastic and he definitely deserves it; he deserved it when he won featured for Assassins and he would deserve it even more if he won this year. BUT, I would also be really happy if JLY won. I think the race is really between Cerveris and JLY (to be fair, they're also the only ones I've really seen, but as possibly strong as the other contenders are, I really feel like it's going to come down to a race between Cerveris and JLY) and although I would prefer if Michael Cerveris won, John Lloyd Young is really deserving of it, too.

Which is nice. So many years I'm bitter because, not only does my pick not win, but the person/show that does win seems undeserving to me... this year, I feel like I'll be pretty happy with the lead actor. Uh, as long as it's Michael or JLY, that is. :P

Oh yeah. And as much as I want it to be Michael, I really do have a feeling it'll be JLY.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#17re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 1:33pm

John Lloyd Young will win for Jersey Boys unless one of the lead actors in the yet-to-open new musicals astound and recieve a love letter from Brantley a la Young.

munkustrap178
#18re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 2:07pm

jerby: The most famous person always wins? That is entirely not true.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#19re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 2:11pm

how did "often" translate as "always"?

munkustrap178
#20re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 2:13pm

Sorry, I typed always but thought often.

Well?

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
nomdeplume
#22re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 2:22pm

Well by Kron.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#23re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 2:28pm

I know I'm in the minority, but Cerveris didn't impress me. He's such a nice man and person, but in that show, it didn't do anything for me.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

#24re: Leading Actor in a Musical race
Posted: 3/12/06 at 2:33pm

As of now, definitely between Cerveris and JLY. My vote goes to JLY. Awesome job in Jersey Boys. I'm still crossing my fingers for Hugh Panaro though...obviously. LOL! :)

~Rosalynn

Videos