How was Sutton in college?

RentBoy86
#0How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 12:40am

I'm just wondering how she was at U Of M. Did she get the leads in all the shows or was she more of a supporting person or what? I've always wondered how successful broadway stars are in their younger years.

wicked_mimi
#1re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 12:42am

From what I believe... Sutton went to Carnegie Mellon and was only there for maybe a year... I don't think she did much while there but I really am completely unsure of this...

RentBoy86
#2re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 12:49am

Really? I always thought she grad. from U Of M. Or did just Hunter go there?

PJ
#3re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 12:54am

Sutton went to Carnegie Mellon for a year. She dropped out because she wasn't sure if performing was what she wanted to do for the rest of her life. Also, she said in her solo show at Joe's Pub that she was young and stubborn, and didn't want to listen to others tell her how to act/sing/dance, etc.

RentBoy86
#4re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 2:27am

Well, after dropping out, what happened?

PJ
#5re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 2:46am

Well, I know she was cast in the national tour of The Will Rogers Follies at the age of 17. I believe that was before CMU, so she obviously didn't need a degree in MT to get a job. Sutton's just one of those people that didn't need a degree from a big name school to make it. (Not that having one guarantees success.)

WhatDoINeedWithLove?
#6re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 3:02am

On Seth's Chatterbox she said that at Carnegie she was told she'd never make it out of the chorus.

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#7re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 3:05am

I'll bet that professor is smacking himself in the forehead now.

where's my shoe?
#8re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 3:18am

Susan Egan was told the same thing. And I believe that at CMU (at least now) first years aren't allowed to do shows, so she probably didn't do anything big there. But if she had, we might not have her now!

"I am concocting a seduction. I do not require a patissiere."-Boston Marriage

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#9re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 9:56am

Yeah, I remember hearing that the basic consensus at Carnegie Mellon was that she would never make it out of the chorus.

HA! re: How was Sutton in college?

It just goes to show that a degree in this field isn't always what it takes.

RentBoy86
#10re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 7:11pm

Just wondering. It seems like she has so much training. Or at least a good voice teacher. she has great placement. Although, I'm not too sure about her range as far as roles.

Seems like Hunter is doing fairly well too. I guess they've got good genes.

pemberlee Profile Photo
pemberlee
#11re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 7:16pm

Hunter Foster certainly looks good in jeans, so his genes must be good as well.

As someone who is suffering through finals at the moment it is nice to hear how wrong professors can be. Go Sutton!

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#12re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 7:19pm

A lot of star casting depends on sheer luck. Erin Dilly was fired from Millie and this is how Sutton got the part. If Erin was not fired, Sutton might still be in the chorus.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

erikaamato
#13re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 7:25pm

So true, BroadwayBaby6. I often think about that... I have friends out here (in LA) who refuse to take understudy or cover positions out of some sense that it's "beneath" them, and I always think, "If Sutton had turned down being the Millie understudy at LaJolla, who knows where she'd be now?" Interesting.

RentBoy86
#14re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 7:44pm

It worked out for the best. Not sure I see Dilly in the part.

AnotherDay46 Profile Photo
AnotherDay46
#15re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 7:48pm

I know Sutton and Hunter were in the same production of Evita together in Michigan in 1991. Hunter played Che and Sutton was the Mistress. She has more control over her voice now, but was still great then as well.

Doogie Profile Photo
Doogie
#16re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 7:54pm

I actually know an AMAZINGLY talented actress who turned down Erin Dilly's cover in Millie. She is working today and is one of the most fantastically talented people EVER, imho, but still... it just goes to show...

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#17re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 8:10pm

Doogie- Care to share?

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

RentBoy86
#18re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 9:23pm

Yeah, I guess you should take all oppurtunities given to you. I thought it was weird when I saw "The Wedding Singer" to see one of the stars of Altar Boyz in the chours. I was like "he was a leading guy and has an OCR, but he's in the chorus?" - but I guess you take what you can get.

Doogie Profile Photo
Doogie
#19re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 9:25pm

nope, sorry, I was just illustrating the point that understudying can lead to big things.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#20re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 9:26pm

Not exclusive to Off-Broadway.. Bianca Marroquin played Roxie in Chicago, and then was in the Pajama Game chorus...go figure.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#21re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 9:28pm

While cleaning out my Broadway stuff this weekend (preparing to move) I discovered I had not only seen Sutton Foster in Will Rogers in 1992, but I also had her autograph in the program as well! Along with Leigh Zimmerman's and Cady Huffman's.

She was only 17 then??

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#22re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 9:29pm

Well its a hard business...But I love Sutton! I wonder who ever told her that.

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

RentBoy86
#23re: How was Sutton in college?
Posted: 5/2/06 at 9:30pm

Yeah, I'm sure there were other explains Blaxx, just that's the only one I knew.

Videos