pixeltracker

"Mame" heading for the Palace- Page 2

"Mame" heading for the Palace

philcrosby
#25re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/24/06 at 9:47am

Michael Bennett --

I couldn't disagree more about your assessment of the show. Agreed, the trio of ladies in the new production aren't a guaranteed "sell."

But "not a very good musical"??? MAME was a huge critical and financial success in its original production (running 1508 performances in its original run, HUGE at the time), nominated for 8 Tony Awards, and winning for Lansbury, Arthur and little Frankie Michaels -- it lost Best Musical to MAN OF LA MANCHA.

"Creaky with age?" You must be thinking only of Lucy in the role. re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#26re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/24/06 at 10:40am

I like Mame a little bit more than Michael Bennett, but I have to agree that it's not quite as sharp a piece as people think it is. The book by the "Auntie Mame" play authors Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee does suffer with the addition of Herman's fine songs and the delirious pace and tone of "Auntie Mame" gets weighted down in the process. It ends up a bit like "Auntie Mame Lite".

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

#27re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/24/06 at 10:44am

Mame is one of those shows (Like say, "Wicked" or "Cats") that while never connecting with critics, certainly connected with audiences. I have seen it in various productions and it seems like the audience always falls in love. I remember a high school production where "If he Walked into my Life Today" reduced mos tof the women in the audience to sobs!

Personally, I love it. From that glorious opening number to the greatest act one closer ever...Then act 2 with Bosom Buddies, Gooch's Song, That's How Young I Feel and the aforementioned tearjerker...coupled with one of the wittiest books ever--Gosh what a great show!

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#28re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/24/06 at 10:47am

I'm with MichaelBennett here. Perhaps it was accidental—it probably was—but it's funny that Riedel wrote, "If this Jerry Herman musical is any good it'll move to the Palace Theater in the summer." He didn't write "If this production is good," he wrote, "If this musical is good."

Some musicals transcend their source material. Some come up with something equally valid. Some pale in comparison. Mame is in the last category. Herman wrote some good songs, but it's not a great show. The original production did make a splash, but the only way it would work now would be in a really great production with the right Mame. And I can't see brittle Baranski being that person.

She really is terrific in the right roles, but I think her range is very limited. She just has no personal warmth onstage. I've seen her plenty of times, and when warmth is needed, it's never there.

I do think that Schaeffer is a good director, at least when it comes to Sondheim. His Passion and his Sunday were both good. Much better than the two productions Christopher Ashley directed for the festival, including the awful Sweeney with Baranski as Lovett. Rave reviews notwithstanding, it was terrible and she seemed mostly concerned with landing her laughs, which she did, but when it came to creating a believable character, she wasn't there. (And with the revved-up fesival audiences, any Lovett would have landed the laughs.)

The crazy part is that the Mame company has a much better choice for the role right there: Harriet Harris. Harris probably couldn't sing it, but she otherwise has the right qualities.

I will be surprised if this makes it to Broadway. I would be even more surprised if it made there and thrived.

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#29re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/24/06 at 11:00am

Let's hope for the crew at the Palace that Mame stays far away. The Palace has been a revolving door lately for lame shows and the people I know there really want a show to stay longer than a year. It's a shame Mermaid and Legally Blond aren't ready.

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#30re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/24/06 at 11:13am

Did anyone of you get student ticket for this show? I went to the box office and the woman told me the show was almost sold out and the cheapest one is $56. I want to see "Mame", but $56, forget about it.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#31re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/24/06 at 11:14am

We can only hope that a classy Broadway show moves into that theatre. I would love to see it on Broadway. (esspecially if Ems stays with it).

I can't wait to see it at the Kennedy Center!

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#32re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/24/06 at 11:48am

Sapphire has two P's. Glad to see Candide quoted, though.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

philcrosby
#33re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/24/06 at 1:24pm

And, to round things out ...

today (May 24, 2006), is the 40th anniversary of the original production's opening night.

Happy Birthday, MAME!

beav
#34re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/24/06 at 1:43pm

mame makes my head hurt.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#35re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/24/06 at 2:09pm

definately one of my favorite scores written for the theatre

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#36re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/24/06 at 2:19pm

MAME was not a huge hit with critics... of the 6 daily reviewers at the time 3 were favourable, 2 mixed and one nasty outright pan.

It did not do well at the Tonys picking up awards for Lansbury, Arthur and Frankie Michaels. The major awards all went to MAN OF LA MANCHA.

But MAME was an audience pleaser and the cast album reveals a score loaded with character. I think the reviews would have been better if it hadn't opened with the original play and film still fresh in everyone's mind.

Also, with DOLLY still running MAME seemed like an attempt to cash in on the same formula.

We should have learned with PAJAMA GAME not to pass judgement on revivals before they open. :)

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#37re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/24/06 at 5:27pm

I'm not sure if you're speaking about The Pajama Game in artistic terms or financial ones.

Artistically, I think the production is a very mixed bag, notwithstanding its favorable reviews.

Financially, it sold out a 700-seat theatre with a large subscriber base. And it had a star who has a lot more drawing power than Christine Baranski does..What will happen when it returns without Connick in a larger theatre remains to be seen.

I've no doubt that if they can get a name who will bring in people, it should do well enough.

Mame will require a larger cast, although perhaps they'll try to get away with a smaller one. It's true that requiring a larger cast didn't stop Pajama Game, which just used a smaller one and looks painfully upderpopulated even on the stage of the American Airlines Theatre.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#38re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/24/06 at 5:37pm

Did anyone of you get student ticket for this show? I went to the box office and the woman told me the show was almost sold out and the cheapest one is $56. I want to see "Mame", but $56, forget about it.

It depends what day you want, I think. Weekends are all nearly sold out, but week days are open. Also, I'm pretty sure the Kennedy Center student tickets are about $25, but they have a limited supply.

Speaking of which, I need to get my ticket; I put it off when I was here in March. But personally, I'm more excited about the Sweeney Todd reunion concert. re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 5/24/06 at 05:37 PM

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#39re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/24/06 at 5:46pm

I love Harriet Harris. Additionally, I would love to see MAME on Broadway. I would love to see Jennifer Simard as GOOCH!
re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace

Updated On: 5/24/06 at 05:46 PM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#40re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/24/06 at 5:58pm

I join MichelBennett, Smaxie and others. I loved the show as a teenager, but also know it's really an accomplished, well-crafted mediocrity, its limitations not really obvious on the vivid album (one of the best of the era). If only the score alone could sell it. Whoever said "Auntie Mame Lite" nails it. Go watch the Roz Russell movie, in which she creates a one-of-a-kind character unlike any other. Then read the book scenes from the musical. The character is a mere shadow of the original.

I saw the Lansbury revival in 83, and it was clear then the show was a kind of relic.

Those suggesting a reality check are also correct. People paying 100 dollars to see Christine Baranski? It has zero to do with talent. She's not a bankable above-the-title star in today's climate. Cher would sell, but why would Cher do MAME eight times a week?

Personally, I'd rather see Bette in DOLLY. That bit of casting my re-invent that show.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

JerseyScoundrel
#41re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/24/06 at 6:53pm

This is Great!

"This is a stupid story. It never stops. But we keep making lemonade! We're opening the biggest f***ing lemonade stand you ever saw!" -Walter Bobbie after a long day of Sweet Charity Rehersals (Newyorkmetro.com)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#42re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/24/06 at 7:38pm

No one has mentioned how amusing Reidel's column was this week. I found his stuff about the Tony's and Oprah quite funny.

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#43re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/24/06 at 7:48pm

No one has mentioned how amusing Reidel's column was this week. I found his stuff about the Tony's and Oprah quite funny.

Me too. I laughed out loud at "the egregiously overlooked Suzanne Somers" bit.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#44re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/24/06 at 8:05pm

By the time I saw the original production, Lansbury had left & i saw it with Janice Page. What do you want for a free ticket?

Will definitely see it

Poster Emeritus

jimnysf
#45re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/25/06 at 4:15am

now there are 3 threads speculating what's next for the Palace.

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#46re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/25/06 at 10:41pm

Riedel is right on about the Tonys. It needs a host to carry it along.

As for Mame, I say why the hell not? If there's room for all these new shows on Broadway - and most of the shows currently on the boards are new - and the revivals are no earlier than the 70s (not counting Pajama Game), why not bring an old chestnut to Broadway? I think there's a big audience that wants something old-fashioned on Broadway. Just look at the attention for Pajama and Drowsy!

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

RentBoy86
#47re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/25/06 at 11:21pm

I don't think this show would sell at all on B'way. I don't think Pajama Game is going to sell either, unless they can find a bigger star to carry it. I have a feeling the show won't return for a commercial run if it doesn't pick up any Tony's, which I don't think it will. Although, sometimes the Tony voters go for the more "fun" show.

Flahooley Profile Photo
Flahooley
#48re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/26/06 at 4:55pm

MAME is a TOUGH show to do. The book is sooo slim. There is a temptation for the actress playing Mame to compensate for the show's shortcomings by pulling a "star turn" forgetting about the character of Mame Dennis and thus making the show a diva lovefest.

Has there EVER been a produciton of MAME - outside of the original Broadway with the original cast - that wasn't just an excuse for older actress to dress up in glitter and sing some fun songs?

I wish them luck. I hope it is a success. But lighting with MAME may have just striked one.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#49re: 'Mame' next tenant at The Palace
Posted: 5/26/06 at 5:22pm

That'd be awesome! This show is great!

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird