pixeltracker

Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?

Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#0Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/8/06 at 9:10pm

I might get to see a show Saturday night and I am deciding between Threepenny or Sweeney Todd (second time).

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all
Updated On: 6/8/06 at 09:10 PM

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#1re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/8/06 at 9:13pm

I enjoyed it but most people will disagree with me. I think it's worth it because the cast is really great, not to mention you've already seen Sweeney Tdd.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

cheezedoodle
#2re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/8/06 at 9:19pm

I liked Threepenny. It's hard to get through for some, but I had to study Weil and Brecht for a semester in college - so now I get it. This production though is really well staged, and the cast is tremendously talented.

"Oh Link...your pork is ready..." - Edna Turnblad

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#3re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/8/06 at 9:26pm

I am a very easy fan to please when it comes to musicals, and almost always find something to enjoy in every show. This show, however, I found to be the most boring piece of c**p I have ever sat through. This is no fault of the very talented cast who are all wasted here. The arrangements make dreary music just more dreary, and the book is nothing but an excuse for each character to say f*** a few times. The costumes appear borrowed from various community productions of Rocky Horror, and there is no sublety or artistry in any part of the presentation. Awful.

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"
Updated On: 6/8/06 at 09:26 PM

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#4re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/8/06 at 9:30pm

But that's so vague...how do you REALLY feel?

For whatever it's worth, I loved it the first time and I'm seeing it again on Saturday. Can't wait!
Updated On: 6/8/06 at 09:30 PM

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#5re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/8/06 at 9:42pm

I really really liked it. A completely different theatrical experience from anything I've ever seen.

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

#6re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/8/06 at 9:51pm

i truly enjoyed it, & long for a cast album!

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#7re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/8/06 at 10:04pm

Threepenny is absolutely worth seeing, and since you've already seen Sweeney, why not try something new? (Frankly, once was enough for me with this production of Todd). The cast is excellent, I enjoyed the translation by Shawn immensely, and the director's interpretation is at the very least always interesting. It's probably my pick for Best Revival this year.

maybethistime
#8re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/8/06 at 10:24pm

As said, especially since you've already seen "Sweeney", I really enjoyed "Threpenny" due to it's amazingly talented cast adn some inspried choices on the part of the production team. (I said SOME).

JeaniusIsMe Profile Photo
JeaniusIsMe
#9re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/8/06 at 10:35pm

The first act was a bit rough for me and I felt bored. However, the second act was full of energy (Brian Charles Rooney and Cyndi Lauper bring the performance to amazing heights), and since you've already seen Sweeney, give it a shot. While there are some things I really didn't enjoy, there are still many positive points in the show.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#10re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/8/06 at 10:58pm

Don;t go see something you've already seen, unless there's nothing available that you want to see. SEE THREEPENNY, even if you don't love the show, you can't miss the performances.

showbiz287 Profile Photo
showbiz287
#11re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/8/06 at 10:59pm

I saw the show. Didn't really care for the story itsself. But the production and staging itself was done really well! and just the people in it are worth seeing in the performance. Alan made me melt, and Cyndi was such a joy to watch! and being a fan of Ana from SNL getting to hear her sing was a real treat!

"I'll eat some breakfast, then change the world."

WickedRentHead
#12re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 12:07am

I honestly didnt like it. I thought it was a little too strange and weird and such, but it wasnt necesarily a bad show, just not my cup of tea. I agree with what everyone else has said that if you are even somewhat interested in seeing it, and you've already seen Sweeney Todd, then go for it.

Ebonic_Singer
#13re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 1:18am

I enjoyed it a lot--go to threepenny!

MyMeredithMonster Profile Photo
MyMeredithMonster
#14re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 2:55am

Let's just say I wouldn't pay full price to see Threepenny again... If you're getting a deal though (half price tix or something), I'd say go for it.

"Yeah, Clarissa, explain it all."

Color and Light
#15re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 6:10am

I would see it! You've already seen Sweeney, and I thoroughly enjoyed Threepenny, even if the translation wasn't my favorite. The cast is great, though - Brian Charles Rooney is amazing and generally an all-out riot. I also think, having seen this particular production of Sweeney Todd, it will be interesting to compare the two afterwards.

It's obviously not going to be everyone's cuppa, but it will certainly be one of the most interesting experiences you'll get on Broadway right now.

Stop looking at my charisma.

#16re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 6:48am

I've seen a lot of productions of Threepenny, including the 1950s Off-Broadway revival with the likes of Lotte Lenya, Bea Arthur, Jerry Stiller, Jerry Orbach and Jo Sullivan. The 2006 revival tops them all. It's the first time I've honestly enjoyed seeing the show. If I were going to the theatre on Saturday night it would definitely be my first pick. I don't know how anyone can be bored by the show unless they went in expecting another Wedding Singer or Aida and have narrow expectations of what the theatre is all about.

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#17re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 9:58am

If I were to see it, how prepared for it should I be? I know about some elements of this production (like the nudity and the absent curtain call) and I have read The Beggar's Opera by John Gay, but that's pretty much it. Is there anything else?

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all
Updated On: 6/9/06 at 09:58 AM

#18re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 10:03am

Just go. Don't prepare any more. However, you need to be advised that it's not a rock musical if that's your style re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?

MOXIEINTHECITY
#19re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 10:33am

Alan Cumming needs to stop taking so many risks and start being more choosey abotu his roles.

Although his men's fragrance line ads make me giggle.
Good Ol Fashioned Crush - Ever Crush on a Broadway Actor/Actress?

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#20re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 11:15am

"Just go. Don't prepare any more. However, you need to be advised that it's not a rock musical if that's your style "

I saw the show on Wednesday and could not disagree more on your advice. Please read up on Weil and Brecht's style of theater and if you can, get your hand on the script/book. I was lost for the 1st act and regret not researching it more. The music is excellent but its helpful to have a guide before hand for a better understanding of the diaologue.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#21re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 11:23am

I agree that if you've never learned about Brecht techniques, you might want to do a little reading, but if you have learned about Brecht or have ever been curious about his methods, you have to see Threepenny, because they take all of his theories to the letter. I just remember sitting in the theatre and thinking, "Oh my god! I can't believe what I'm seeing!"

And the cast is top notch, particularly Jim Dale, Alan Cumming, Cyndi Lauper (the role is a great fit for her), and Brian Charles Rooney.

I hope you see it and look forward to reading your review.

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#22re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 12:27pm

Hmm, I'm going to see it Sunday--after being busy with something from 8-1. I'm gonna be exhausted. My friends say it's a bad show to see when I'm tired...hopefully I'll keep slapping myself to stay awake.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

BSoBW2
#23re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 12:56pm

You should definitely learn about epic theatre and Brecht's style.

I feel this production is more along the lines of rebel-Brecht than book-Brecht.

It's more about his revolt, so to speak, against the typical theatre than what you may read in history books. Even Brecht's style changed throughout (and even 3PO was changed by him as his ideas changed, and almost did a 180).

But the production is worth every penny, if not to see Cyndi perform SOLOMON SONG.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#24re: Is Threepenny Opera worth seeing?
Posted: 6/9/06 at 12:59pm

I don't know that this production is worth every penny - I would disagree there - but there are some good things about it.

Cyndi Lauper is wonderful - particularly during her "Solomon's Song." Nellie McKay is hysterical and quite good. It's a treat to see Jim Dale. Rooney is funny.

Other than that, read the text. It's okay, but too long and disjointed.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Videos