Worst Speech of the Night?

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#0Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:37am

???

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 6/12/06 at 12:37 AM

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#1re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:41am

Kathleen Marshall, she rattled off names faster than I could think.

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#2re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:41am

John Lloyd Young, I found his speech felt very fake.

WriteInNYC
#3re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:42am

John Lloyd Young's self-involved "life story" speech. On top of that he didn't thank a single person connected with the success of his show (i.e. HIS success) which was just ungracious and rude. I'm very happy for "Jersey Boys," but his speech left me cold.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#4re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:44am

I think i hated the end of Lachanzes speech when she thaked oprah she was tottally paid money to do that.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

jensen11us2 Profile Photo
jensen11us2
#5re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:45am

AMEN

Brokenlizard14 Profile Photo
Brokenlizard14
#6re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:45am

What did John say? Sorry, but I had to work.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#7re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:46am

I don't know about JLY, it wasn't great, but I feel like he just didn't know what to do with himself. Poor thing. You could even see him getting teary during Jersey Boy's performance. He was just inexperienced. I will say LaChanze's speech threw me a little.

muscle23ftl
#8re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:47am

What about Beth Leavel(sp?)? Did she just annoy me? I felt it was so fake! She was talking like her character all the time?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

muscle23ftl
#9re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:49am

LaChanze had to thank Oprah, maybe the show wouldn't be on Broadway today w/o Oprah's promotions and support. She didn't get paid to do that. She gets paid for her work. And I bet she makes enough.

Gothampc
#10re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:50am

John Lloyd Young for the "Dad, it's just the two of us" speech. It seemed incoherent.

Richard Griffiths who wouldn't get off the stage, but kept waving even though the music started playing.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 6/12/06 at 12:50 AM

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#11re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:51am

John's speech actually made me cry. When he said the thing about "Just the two of us," at the end, I lost it.

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#12re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:54am

Can we count Julia's "you are all so talented" bit here?

I love me some Julia Roberts on screen, but what was that bit all about- it was just so random, and felt very "look at me!! look at me!! pay attention to me!!" rather than "hi, I am up here to present an award."

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#13re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:57am

"Richard Griffiths who wouldn't get off the stage, but kept waving even though the music started playing. "

See, here's what's interesting. Ian "Mc-should have lost to Samuel Barnett" was on stage WAY longer than Griffiths, but he didn't get "orchestra'd", if you will. Griffiths' shorter speech was cut off though.

Gothampc
#14re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:57am

"Can we count Julia's "you are all so talented" bit here?"

That second rate diva didn't even have the courtesy to show up on the red carpet. She arrived after the show had started.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Gothampc
#15re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:00am

"Griffiths' shorter speech was cut off though."

The show had already used up their allotted "British Artist minutes".

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#16re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:01am

Although I appreciated the sentimental factor of John Lloyd Young's speech, I agree, it came off as VERY rehearsed, which took away any of the genuine emotional impact it was intended to have....

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#17re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:05am

John thanked everyone including Alison at the Drama Desk and Outer Critic Circle awards. I think he was choked up.
Can you blame him. I am so happy for him and Alison.
re: Worst Speech of the Night?

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#18re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:05am

re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Updated On: 6/12/06 at 01:05 AM

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#19re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:06am

"That second rate diva didn't even have the courtesy to show up on the red carpet. She arrived after the show had started."

Maybe, since she wasn't nominated...and was only a presenter, she had class enough to not make an appearance on the red carpet and upstage everyone else who should have been the center of attention tonight...unlike Oprah.

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#20re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:09am

I thought Hal Prince's speech was a bit underwhelming for a man accepting a lifetime achievement award.

Gothampc
#21re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:09am

"Maybe, since she wasn't nominated...and was only a presenter, she had class enough to not make an appearance on the red carpet and upstage everyone else who should have been the center of attention tonight...unlike Oprah."

She should have shown up as an actress in a Broadway play, whether nominated or not.

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#22re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:13am

"She should have shown up as an actress in a Broadway play, whether nominated or not."

Maybe someone didn't pass along Gothampc's Rules For The TONYS, to her. Maybe next year you can go to each theatre and hand them out personally.

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett

WriteInNYC
#23re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:14am

Re: Beth Leavel accepting her award in her character's voice:

True, for all the people who haven't seen the show I'm sure it came off as just plain bizarre.
Updated On: 6/12/06 at 01:14 AM

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#24re: Worst Speech of the Night?
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:14am

"She should have shown up as an actress in a Broadway play, whether nominated or not. "

Why? Actors not nominated for Tonys don't go to the Tonys.