pixeltracker

Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN- Page 4

Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#75re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:21pm

Beggar Woman - Helena Carter (if she's defo in the film, I think she'd be great in this role!)
Mrs. Lovett - Imelda Staunton/Meryl Streep
Anthony - Jake Gylenhall (sp??)
Judge - RIchard Griffiths

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#76re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:23pm

Meryl has no vocal training.

Are you her personal assistant?

Don't claim to know things you can't prove.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

jensen11us2 Profile Photo
jensen11us2
#77re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:23pm

Sweeney Todd: Johnny Depp
Mrs. Lovett: Susan Sarandon
Beggar Woman: Helena Bonham Carter
Tobias Ragg: ???????
The Beadle: ????????
Judge Turpin: Christopher Lee
Anthony Hope: Patrick Wilson
Johanna: ???????
Jonas Fogg: ?????????
Pirelli: Tracey Ullman

jensen11us2
#78re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:26pm

Actually in an interview on the Today Show she talked about how when she was 15 she took lessons but she could never quite get it down and therefore stopped taking lessons and has never really had 'proper training'!

Peace!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#79re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:29pm

Why in the hell are people suggesting women for Pirelli?

Pirelli is a MALE character. And will played by a male in the movie, as it always is on stage. This revival just has it played by a female because they needed the extra female voice. It would be too confusing having it as a female in a movie.

30/90 Playout
#80re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:34pm

I prefer a female. I find all the male Pirelli's too repulsive. I don't see how that would complicate the movie plot AT ALL.

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#81re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:36pm

It would confuse the hell out of people, just like having a 35 year old Toby would.

jensen11us2
#82re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:36pm

I concur Tracy Ullman could hold her own!

SporkGoddess
#83re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:38pm

I would love for Megan Mullally to be Mrs. Lovett. She's adorable, funny, and she can sing!

But, with Hollywood, all I'm praying for is that they cast people who can sing the notes. Particularly Johanna. Hollywood seems incapable of casting legit sopranos *coughEmmyRossumcough*

I think Anthony Warlow or Brian Stokes Mitchell would make a fantastic Sweeney. And Victoria Clark or Audra McDonald as the Beggar Woman would be amazing! I also concur with Lauren Molina as Johanna. Kelli's too old, btw.

This is just me in my little dream world, of course, because I know this will never happen.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 6/13/06 at 04:38 PM

Stagerage2003 Profile Photo
Stagerage2003
#84re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:49pm

Is it wrong of me to say that Burnadette Peters could possibly do Lovett?

but knowing Tim Burton this is going to be a very Dark version of Sweeney with a very sadistic look at all of the characters.

I have a feeling that even Patti LuPone is too "nice" for what Burton may put on the screen.

Ghosthost999
#85re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:52pm

My cast would look something like this:

Sweeney: Alan Rickman
Lovett: Toni Colette
Turpin: Christopher Lee
Beggar Woman: Helena Bohnam Carter
Antony: ???
Johanna: Scarlet Johanson
Tobias: ???
Beadle: Paul Gimatti
Pirelli: Alan Cumming

ahimsa Profile Photo
ahimsa
#86re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 4:55pm

I believe a film has been done by both Showtime with Ben Kingsley and BBC (Alex Kingston from ER TV fame?). It makes for a chilling movie, especially through Tim Burton's vision, with or without the score.

I can just imagine what he could do with the story line. I won't be able to sleep that night.

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#87re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 5:00pm

Sweeney Todd: Johnny Depp
Mrs. Lovett: Cyndi Lauper
Beggar Woman: Helena Bonham Carter
Tobias Ragg: ?
The Beadle: Crispin Glover
Judge Turpin: ?
Anthony Hope: Ewan McGreggor
Johanna: Juliette Lewis (I have no idea if she can sing, but for some reason I think she would bring something very different to the role instead of the usual ingenue approach - plus she's a name)
Jonas Fogg: ?
Pirelli: ?

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

broadwaybound882
#88re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 5:02pm

Christopher Lee, in my opinion, in the end, will be Turpin. He's the best choice. How about Nicole Kidman as Mrs. Lovett?

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#89re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 5:03pm

i think antony and johanna should be in their late teens/early twenties

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

Fiyero2 Profile Photo
Fiyero2
#90re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 5:13pm

Will it still be a musicaL???

Can Johnny Depp even sing?

How Do You Doent Real Life When Real Life's Getting More Like Fiction Each Day??

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#91re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 5:26pm

1.Yes
2.It's anybody's guess

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#92re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 5:31pm

It would confuse the hell out of people, just like having a 35 year old Toby would.

Exactly! Pirelli has always been a male, and always will be, aside from this revival. It does nothing for the plot to have it played by a female. And even Donna Lynne realizes that.

Mano and Harris who are MEN, can get away with playing a boy on stage. But it would NOT work on screen. They need a boy, not a man.

Dame Fanadette Profile Photo
Dame Fanadette
#93re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 5:56pm

I would love to see Bernadette Peters as Mrs. Lovett.!

DF loves the little children, all the children of the world black and yellow, gay or straight, they are perfect in her light DF loves all the children of the world-Dame Fanadette

Cruel_Sandwich
#94re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 6:09pm

Here's another idea for Toby....

I have no idea if he can sing but I'd bet Mackenzie Crook from THE OFFICE (UK) could probably pull it off.

FoscasBohemianDream
#95re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 6:19pm

Bernadette Peters would be devine as Mrs.Lovett, but first I don't believe it's a role she has ever pursued (please correct me if I'm wrong, and I hope I am), and second she won't sell tickets.
Victoria Clark, Lauren Molina, Audra McDonald, Donna Lynne, Patti LuPone, Manoel Felciano, Brian Stokes Mitchell...they're all spectacular theater actors that will NEVER get cast in the movie. The Rent and The Producers thought they could get away with that...but they didn't, and after such fiasco producers know they need movie stars to sell tickets to a movie musical, Rob Marshall understood this, Baz Luhrman understood it as well, and Bill Condon did too.
Now, personally I'd actually cry if anyone dares cast Tracey Ullman as Mrs.Lovett as I find her singing to be bland at best and her acting to be worse than her singing.
Meryl Streep would probably be too old for Johnny Depp, but if the movie is directed well, they could play around with that. That might be one of the underlying insecurities Lovett has during "By The Sea," that she knows she's much older than him, or make it one of the reasons why Todd was never interested in her in the first place. Oh, and the people who saw Meryl Streep singing live at the Public Sings concert said that she was fantastic and that they should get her to play in a musical, so I'm sure she'd be delightful as Mrs.Lovett, plus she'd just act it so well.
Other options for Mrs.Lovett would be Toni Colette, Catherine Z. Jones, and I wonder if Nicole Kidman could do it. Remember the role that cemented her as a star was in To Die For, where she played a rather calculating woman, so she could surprise us.
I wonder if Tim Burton would consider keeping the asylum concept for the film, of course not the actor/musician concept but just the idea that this is Toby's story, perhaps having him relive the story in his memory. That would probably allow for an older Toby.
Anne Hathaway was supposed to be Christine in the Phantom film, so I'm sure she'd be able to at least attempt to pull off Johanna.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#96re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 6:26pm

Nicole Kidman was actually someone Sam Mendes was considering.

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#97re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 6:29pm

I'd be ok with Nicole Kidman.

opiv Profile Photo
opiv
#98re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 6:48pm

I think Tobias as a child would work extremely well. A child singing NOT WHILE I'M AROUND seems like the impact would be greater than an adult...

I agree, though I do like the idea of Neil Patrick Harris.

"I feel god in this chili's..."

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#99re: Other SWEENEY movie cast members - LET THE SPECULATION BEGIN
Posted: 6/13/06 at 6:54pm

Meryl Streep as Lovett... man... that's a Sweeney movie worth doing.

yr ronin,
joey