pixeltracker

Goodbye DRS "It's a shame it couldn't last"- Page 4

Goodbye DRS "It's a shame it couldn't last"

neddyfrank2
#75re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 12:31am

It is kind of wierd thinking of it gone.

I remember seeing it on the fourth preview in San Diego, and then sending my whole grade to see it.

At least their is a tour of it going on, or else I would be a wreck.

#76re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 12:41am

""I got to see it with the original cast expect for Sarah, Mylinda Hall was in as Jolene.
I fell in love with Jonathan as Laurence and Norbert as Freddie. "

You mean except for Sara and John.

Jonathan Pryce wasn't in the original, although, he was better"

Yes, I meant the newer cast. I apologize. Was he better than John?

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#77re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 12:42am

Would somebody mind explaining a little more about Lucie's 2nd act speech? The references to "her speech before act 2 explaining what was going to happen was brilliant. I actually wished they had done this more because the Zis Zat scene was so funny with the 'switch'" left me completely confused. What exactly happened that wasn't happening in July (the last time I saw it)?

WRQ - what exactly did you mean by "what Lucie and Rachel did was adorable"?

Thanks!

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#78re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 12:57am

It was explained a bit in the other thread, but I'll do my best to describe it here.

I missed her very first sentence b/c I was following the DRS creators back in.

But anyway...

Before act 2 began, Lucie came out in her end-of-act-1 costume and began to talk about how she hurt her knee and was out for a while and...something about she'd be ready for Dancing With the Stars next week (still went back to my seat then), but then explained but then realized the show was closing this week and she knew she had to be in the show for its final performances. She introduced Dr. Bauman and said she did wonders on her knee, etc. But that in telling the second part of their story, there comes a scene that there was no way around it, Lucie simply could not do it.

She really didn't want to cut that part, so her understudy who she's incredibly good friends with and close with (what's her name again?)...Rachel, came up with a great solution to keep the scene in.

So she exits, and the second act begins. Like Zis Like Zat is done normally up until Richard says "Let's Dince."

Lucie says hold it, they freeze, and goes "Oh Rachel", and Rachel de Benedet, peeks her head in, in full Muriel costume and wig, and Lucie steps aside, and Rachel dances with Richard. Then Richard says we've never been introduced, and she says she's understudy Muriel. And after Richard says pleased to meet you, Rachel said Dr. Bauman worked on her knee last year.

And after the final dip, Lucie comes back to join them, so Richard sits between the 2 Muriels on the stair-thingie. A lot of audience laughter. They both sing "nowhere near as perfect as a kiss" He does the smooch with Rachel, and then Lucie grabs him for the big kiss, and then she said I Like Zis, then Rachel says I Like Zat, and they sang We Like Zat, and they all sing Like Zis...Richard puts his arm around Lucie, and Rachel puts her head in as the pose should be.

They took out the tango cross in the More We Dance, as Rachel was back in her ensemble track.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

danaonotlater Profile Photo
danaonotlater
#79re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 12:58am

I am so glad that I got to be at the show today...my 12th time. At first I wasn't really interested in seeing DRS, but I decided to splurge and see it before John Lithgow left. I ended up not even seeing him that day, but Dennis Parlato instead. So I came back...ended up seeing John, but not Norbert, Jason Gillman instead. I was there on Jonathan Pryce and Mylinda Hull's first night. I was there when Jonathan and Norbert left. I never saw the entire original cast together, and it seems like I saw a different combination of cast members everytime, but I walked away with 12 awesome and different nights at the theatre. I watched the cast change and I watched them develop. I loved that experience.

Tonight was very straight. I thought it might be a little crazier than it was, expected it even, but it was great just to see it one last time on that stage. A highlight for me was watching Sara Gettlefinger sneak into the front box house left for the first half of the second act. She curled up on the floor and watched her castmates do their stuff. I mentioned it to her at the stage door and she said "she had to watch!" It was really cute. :)

So thank you Dirty Rotten Scoundrels for more laughs than I can count and some really awesome memories!

Best of luck to the cast and crew and pit!

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#80re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 12:59am

The funniest part of that scene was watching Richard Kind attempt to dance...

wickedrentq
#81re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 1:06am

I wouldn't call that funny Liir.

I stand by the one positive thing I had to say about Richard's Andre. He looks more like a chimp than Greg does.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

Zyla
#82re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 1:26am

*Sigh* Too bad that this show is departing. I'm glad I got to see it once; I was either laughing or grinning the entire time. All that smiling made my face ache (to paraphrase Frank N' Furter...who has nothing whatsoever to do with this show). I wish I had something more profound to say, but all I've got is, Thanks everyone for the reviews!

Interesting how Broadway loses Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Sweeney Todd on the same day - two wonderful musicals at direct opposites of the emotional spectrum.

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#83re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 1:27am

I meant sad funny WRQ XD

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#84re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 1:58am

re: Goodbye DRS

I won the lotto today, I was very happy because it was the only way I could possibly afford to get in. It was my third time and I really wish I had gone more times because it really was one of the best shows on broadway. Here's a pic of the curtain call.
Updated On: 9/4/06 at 01:58 AM

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#85re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 2:01am

Thanks for the explanation, WRQ. I didn't see the 'other' thread. I would have loved seeing Zis/Zat done that way with Greg!

Which reminds me - I've heard that mentioned before (about Richard looking more like a chimp than Greg) and I just wanted to remind you that Andre (Greg) wasn't ever supposed to be 'the chimp'. When he sang about the chimp in a suit, he was talking about FREDDIE - not himself. I remember telling Greg a long time ago that this was the biggest problem I had with this casting. I told him I was afraid that Andre was going to become the real chimp in a suit now.

A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Updated On: 9/4/06 at 02:01 AM

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#86re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 2:15am

And alas that was what happened, Mamie.

dirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
#87re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 2:36am

So I was so happy that I won the lotto today and got to see DRS one more time. I must say that I was really dissapointed by the replacements as a whole, but I was still glad to see it, especially for Sherie and Sara.

Goodbye Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, you will be missed dearly!

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"

wickedrentq
#88re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 2:43am

Ohh, I know that Mamie. I just meant in a light-hearted way.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#89re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 2:45am

ok, now i'm really going to sleep! good bye DRS...you will be missed!

jarred03
#90re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 3:50am

I completely loved this show. It was hilarious, and full of great music performed by very talented actors, singers, and dancers. I was especially impressed by Sara Gettlefinger, does anybody know what she's doing next?

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#91re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 4:06am

I've been avoiding this thread because the whole thing is just so frustrating for me. A fabulous show; an extraordinary crowd-pleaser; a clever, witty book; a marvelous score; wonderful performances...I could go on, but I'm preaching to the choir, I know. I've been shying away from saying "Goodbye" mostly because I'm in denial and also because I am disappointed the run didn't last longer.

But closure is good, right?

And at least I have Greg Jbara's Umlaut poster to keep me warm. re: Goodbye DRS

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#92re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 10:09am

And I have his coffee mug.

This winter, as the cold winds blow and we dream of walking the golden beaches of Beaumont Sur Mer, I'll drink a toast to your poster. re: Goodbye DRS

A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

bwayondabrain
#93re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 10:15am

I am sad.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#94re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 10:43am

Cats runs for a million years & this 1 1/2

This is more puzzling than the meaning of life

Poster Emeritus

ReNtHeAd04
#95re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 12:02pm

so im a little delayed on this post, but better late than never right? so i was there yesterday too. we got tickets off of tdf.. we were literally in the last row in the rear mezzanine all the way to the right lol... which surprisingly wasn't that bad.. anyways..

i thought the like zis, like zat was hysterical when lucie arnaz switched with her understudy and she went "i'm muriel the understudy..i got my knee done by dr. (?) last year!"..

it was my first time not seeing norbert, or one of the jonathans, or greg jbara which made me really sad as well.. so like many said, norberts & jonathan's last day is really when it ended for me as well.

richard kind really didn't work for me as andre, although i do love him on spin city. the accent just really didn't work for me, neither did keith's. i liked brian's freddy.. but i did notice the mimicking of norbert too..but he was funny..

i had goosebumps during the dirty rotten number.. it was all too perfect for a closing performance..

now for the stage door.. i was also outside with the annoying "i'm writing a script lady".. a lot of people were telling the cast to just say no.. and you can tell they wanted to sooo bad lol. it was really funny. yet really, REALLY, obnoxious..

i was upset i really didn't get to see sherie.. i had never had the chance to meet her at the stage door. she never came out the times i went... but she finally came out.. and went to the other side of the barricade, signed a couple autographs, was really sweet, and then basically walked very quickly away. i wanted to chase her so bad.. but then i thought, A: - i don't want to be THAT fan.. B: i let the crazy ensemble script lady handle the craziness for the day. and C: the emotion that was probably running through her head.. so hopefully one of these days i'll get the pleasure to meet her..
anyways, i have pictures i need to upload still.. when i get back to my apartment i'll load them and put them up, along with norberts & jonathan's last performance from back in july, which i totally forget to put up then.. :)

DRS- you will be missed.. but the cast album will forever remain in my car to sing along to and annoy the **** out of my boyfriend shrieking during oklahoma re: Goodbye DRS...

also- if the man who let me borrow his silver marker is on bww- i still have your marker! lol..

DRSre: Goodbye DRS

"maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away" -sex and the city

danaonotlater Profile Photo
danaonotlater
#96re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 2:21pm

ReNtHeAd04: It's sad that you didn't get to meet Sherie like you wanted! She doesn't seem to do too well in large crowds from what I have seen.

And speaking of sharpies, Sherie borrowed mine to sign my CD and then asked if she could continue using it. As she was leaving she shouted "who's pen was this?" and it came back to me. :) Alex Gemignani borrowed it at Sweeney that night, so that pen got around!

/randomness

I am still in shock that DRS is gone. But as Julie Connors said "one door closes and another one opens." I still need to find a way to see the tour, anyway!

LoveIsMyLegs Profile Photo
LoveIsMyLegs
#97re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 3:08pm

re: Goodbye DRS One of my favorite shows on Broadway. I only got to see it once though. Living in Florida makes it difficult to see those good broadway shows. But this summer my friend and I flew up to New York. Saw the show. Unfortunately Sherie was not in it. She was away on Vacation. The stand in was still pretty damn good though. I took my friend who wasnt a big fan of musicals. We both had a BLAST. Makes me wish I saw Norbert in it.

I still can't believe this amazing show is gone. Deserved to be on a lot longer than a year and a half. Ahh well I'll treasure my time there. Plus my picture with Lucie is a pretty damn good one. Goodbye DRS. I will miss you so.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#98re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 3:16pm

"It so original"

It was based on a movie. How original can it be?

I saw the show on April 16, 2005 and enjoyed it.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

best we know x
#99re: Goodbye DRS
Posted: 9/4/06 at 4:15pm

I walked past the stage door on my way from the Drowsy stage door to Sweeney, and I blew the theater a kiss...just my way of saying goodbye. I saw the show three times...it will be missed.

You're a writer...write me a letter.