pixeltracker

What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?- Page 2

What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#25re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/26/06 at 6:36pm

I cried when DRS closes. And 12/31 will not be a happy day. I guesss for me though, Rent. As cliche as it is, I have such a deep connection to that show.

Jade Profile Photo
Jade
#26re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/26/06 at 6:37pm

Mine would be Rent. I know a lot of people say it's been going downhill (although I saw it in May and thought it was still great). I also know it's slightly silly of me as it's a Broadway show and I live in London, so it's not as if I can see it easily. But I like knowing it's there. It's a show that's meant so much to me over the years and I'm really emotionally attached to it. If it were ever to close it'd be like the end of an era for me.
Updated On: 10/26/06 at 06:37 PM

#27re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/26/06 at 6:37pm

THE WEDDING SINGER *cries*

and i didnt like into the woods closing re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?

wicked and ave q (since i havnt seen it yet)

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#28re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/26/06 at 6:38pm

Right this moment, I would be devistated if BUTLEY closed, because I haven't seen it yet. After I see it though, I'll be siding with Michael Bennett and Margo.

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#29re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/26/06 at 6:42pm

It's easy for people who have easy access to Broadway's theaters to say that "devastating" is a strong word, but people like me who live on the other side of the country have the right to be pretty devastated about their favorite show closing before they even got the chance to see it on Broadway.

With that said, I would be pretty damn devastated if Rent closed, because it made me appreciate musical theater so much more than I had before. I just feel like I owe a lot to Rent.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015
Updated On: 10/26/06 at 06:42 PM

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#31re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/26/06 at 6:45pm

I can't wait for RENT to close so that RAGGEDY ANN, THE MUSICAL can be revived in its original home.

Lizzya9
#32re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/26/06 at 6:49pm

I'd be so depressed if Beauty and the Beast ever closes. I have to be in that show one day! = )

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#33re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/26/06 at 6:53pm

The sooner it closes, the sooner you'll be able to do it at your local community dinner theatre!

GreenGirl22406 Profile Photo
GreenGirl22406
#34re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/26/06 at 6:54pm

Definately RENT because so many people (myself included) have such a strong emotional attatchment to the show and I know many people are just starting to fall in love with it. Even a decade after it opened, people can still find meanings in it.

"In the rain, the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
In the darkness, the trees are full of starlight
And all I see is him and me forever and forever."

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#35re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/26/06 at 6:55pm

gee... I dunno what I would do if Wedding Singer closed.

pianoman215 Profile Photo
pianoman215
#36re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/26/06 at 7:12pm

Absolutely none. Let's get our priorities set people. These are shows designed for our entertainment and in no way impact my life to the point of devestation when closed.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#37re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/26/06 at 7:19pm

I don't think any show closing would devastate me. It will be very dissapointed when Rent closes. It was one of first shows I really go into. Even after, a decade people still go see it and are touched.

Rotel1026
#38re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/26/06 at 7:37pm

So Raviolisun, how can a show be your favorite show if you've never even seen it? That made no sense to me.

I'm in Texas, so there's a bunch of stuff I know I'll never get to see because I don't make it to NYC that often. I just came back from NYC on Tuesday so not expecting to be back anytime soon. I will have to say I hope Grey Gardens finds a large audience and runs for awhile.

keatonbynumbers Profile Photo
keatonbynumbers
#39re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/26/06 at 7:49pm

I guess I'll be a little upset when, say, Chicago closes. It's nice being able to revisit one of my favorite shows time and time again, so I like having it there. But on the other hand, I'm one of the first people to suggest that it's had a great run, let's get some new stuff in this town.

bella cantato
#40re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/26/06 at 8:02pm

There isn't anything I would be devastated about, but I will be sad when Spelling Bee closes, for some reason, even though it isn't my FAVORITE FAVORITE FAVORITE show... it just has so much heart, and I feel like it's this sweet little daniel competing against so many goliaths... especially the show next door.

"You know, a little orphan girl once told me that the sun would come out tomorrow. Her adopted father was a powerful billionaire, so I supressed the urge to laugh in her face. But now, by gum, I think she might have been on to something!" --Reefer Madness

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#41re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/26/06 at 10:16pm

I was upset about DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS, but I got over it.
Now I'm onto THE WEDDING SINGER, but I guess I would be the most upset if AVENUE Q or RENT closed.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#42re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/26/06 at 10:18pm

PRetyt upset about Wedding Singer. I'll be upset when REnt closes, because it's what got me into Broadway.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#43re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/26/06 at 10:24pm

I wouldn't stop my life over a show closing, but I would hate for a show to close before I got to see it at least once. But hell they revive just about anything now, so there's always a second chance, hehe. If I had to pick, it will be a shame when RENT closes.

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

Renthead#1 Profile Photo
Renthead#1
#44re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 12:23am

I don't think any show closing would devastate me. It will be very dissapointed when Rent closes. It was one of first shows I really go into. Even after, a decade people still go see it and are touched.

Go ask Alice When she's ten feet tall

Julian2
#45re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 12:53am

I'd be so depressed if Beauty and the Beast ever closes. I have to be in that show one day! = )

The sooner it closes, the sooner you'll be able to do it at your local community dinner theatre!

Point relevant to any show, but aren't the rights for BatB already released?

I am also going to side w/ Margo and Bennett in general. But I am upset when a good show closes before it has its chance to make a mark.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

PaintWordPictures Profile Photo
PaintWordPictures
#46re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 1:05am

Yes, the rights for B&tB are already available... I've seen a mediocre performance in the cornfields of Nebraska, so I know it's been available for a while. :)

But another point about "back in the day" - Back in the day not as much money was spent on shows - yes you have to account for inflation and such, but today a show can run for 2-3 years and still not recoup. This makes it a bit more of a necessity for shows to run longer. They have to make their money back so that the people who produce it continue producing theatre. Yes that limits the amount of things we get to see on the official "Broadway" stage, but it also means a lot more time and preparation go into large productions.

That being said, there isn't room for as many less publicised shows to make it. The avenue for theatre to thrive isn't really there. Up-and-comers have to rely on the shallow theatre base that is available elsewhere (shallow as in small, not vain).

It does bother me to see some shows up for ages and ages, but thats just because I don't care for them. Other shows I love to see for ages and ages because it is a testament to the timelessness of a piece, and a connecting thread between audiences of very different times.

Let's just sanction more actual "Broadway" houses, and stop tearing down the old ones (even when I know its a necessity... *sigh*). Then there are more opportunities for things to actually make it to Broadway, and then there really can be a bigger diversity of theatre for all to enjoy!
I definitely see

husk_charmer
#47re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 1:05am

I'm siding with Margo and MB too...there isn't anything I am absolutely bursting at the seams to see on Broadway right now, I've seen most of it either on tour or on Broadway. I was sad [title of show] closed, but it was one of the few original things running. I'll actually be relieved to see some of them go, like Les Miz, but nothing will devestate me, AND I live in Central Arkansas, so it's not like I get to see a whole lot.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Julian2
#49re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 1:09am

Let's just sanction more actual "Broadway" houses, and stop tearing down the old ones (even when I know its a necessity... *sigh*). Then there are more opportunities for things to actually make it to Broadway, and then there really can be a bigger diversity of theatre for all to enjoy!

Amen. If only we could convince Trump to build a few theatres instead of musicalizing The Apprentice. He could even name one after himself, I don't really care as long as he builds them.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

PaintWordPictures Profile Photo
PaintWordPictures
#50re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 1:12am

It all goes back to the money. If you get prime land in New York City, you're going to put something there that sells. As we've seen, it's REALLY hard to make a buck on Broadway. It's almost as if being in New York does more harm than good. It's in such demand for so many other things that its hard for anything to really flourish.