pixeltracker

What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?- Page 3

What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?

PaintWordPictures Profile Photo
PaintWordPictures
#50re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 1:12am

It all goes back to the money. If you get prime land in New York City, you're going to put something there that sells. As we've seen, it's REALLY hard to make a buck on Broadway. It's almost as if being in New York does more harm than good. It's in such demand for so many other things that its hard for anything to really flourish.

christine_c Profile Photo
christine_c
#51re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 1:15am

If I had to pick one, RENT, I guess. It got me into theatre and... well, that means something to me.

danaonotlater Profile Photo
danaonotlater
#52re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 1:22am

I was devestated over Lennon closing (and the fact that I could not be there). I was sad about Dirty Rotten Scoundrels closing (and I made sure I was there).

But the show playing right now would absolutely devestate me if it closed...Shout! The Mod Musical. It can bring a smile to my face like none other. re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?

elvenprincess971 Profile Photo
elvenprincess971
#53re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 2:32am

Phantom of the Opera...

What would the Majestic do? They should just rename the theatre.

I too am really upset about Wedding Singer...
And was extremely upset about The Rocky Horror Show...

But other then those, I think I could get over everything else closing pretty easily.

Love, Miss Britt

rockfenris2005
#54re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 2:43am

I definitely think Sondheim's shows deserved a longer run. I also think The Scarlet Pimpernel could have been Frank's big hit if only they had have developed it before letting it be revised almost four times on Bway!!

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

rosekwbp Profile Photo
rosekwbp
#55re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 3:12am

I've been devastated when shows closed before.

FrontRowCenter2 Profile Photo
FrontRowCenter2
#56re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 8:31am

As there are a limited number of theaters available I'm going to add my voice to Margo's and MBs - after a few years and the ability to recoup the investment - wouldn't be devastated in the least (assuming the show should have opened to begin with).

That's not to say that there are shows with personal meanings which will give you that pang of regret, but certainly not to the point of being devastated - way to many other events that would fall into that category!

worrell4077
#57re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 11:53am

I don't think I would be devestated about a show closing, just a little sad/depressed if something that I thought was really good had to close like Sweeney, but if I had to choose a show(s) that would cause me to be depressed if it closed would probably be Jersey Boys or SpamAlot

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#58re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 12:02pm

I do agree that most shows should have limited 2-3 year runs, but at the same time I feel like Piazza wasn't open long enough for what an amazing piece it is.

On the note of keeping it fresh, I almost wish (as outlandish as it sounds) that there was a "classics" theater. For instance, if each show could only run for 2-3 years but within that time recoups its investments and is just simply a stunner, it should be part of the "classics," like a hall of fame. A period after closing, each classic should be remounted for a limited run at the "classics" theater and thereafter every 5-15 years.

Crazy I know, but I feel like there are some real classic pieces that should be on Broadway within the life time of each generation.

I know this may sort of eliminate revivals in a sense, but wouldn't that make more room for new shows as well as satisfy housing some of the amazing older shows?

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

RentHead2 Profile Photo
RentHead2
#59re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 1:04pm

To be honest, I never thought a show closing would make me very upset until I heard the news on The Wedding Singer. I wasn't devestated but I was sad since this was the first show that I kept coming back again and again and again and again from Pennsylvania to see. I mean don't get me wrong I am part of the whole original RENTHEADS but I feel as though Rent has had it's time, it's been made into a movie and most of the originals have had the fame from it or other shows - if it were to close I wouldn't think twice about it because that theatre and the show have gone downhill from they heydays in 1996.

However with the Wedding Singer, it only makes me upset that other people didn't love it as much as I did, or they didn't give it a chance in the first place. What's funny about it, I have seen the blockbusters like Wicked, Rent, Jersey Boys, Spelling Bee ect but I just didn't have half as a good of time as when I went to see TWS. It's a shame that this show is closing, now I guess the constant trips to NYC will come to a screeching halt as of 31 December - oh well, hopefully these guys will create another show STAT!

I made a list of all your faults, it was quite detailed and lengthy too and when I read it through I missed you. Your like a classic Eagles song, you just cant help but sing along even though it sometimes gets annoying too. I just know I want to be wherever I can wake and see you there next to me. **High Fidelity** Love is what I do **The Wedding Singer** Xanadu - Best NEW Musical of the Season!

Colle
#60re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 4:25pm

"Devestated" is probably too strong of a word, but I would be sad if Les Mis doesn't get an extention. I was a little sad that it closed the first time, if only because I think it deserves to be the longest running musical on broadway.

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#61re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 4:47pm

I don't think I'd be completely devestated over any show closing, but I'll problably be the most upset when Wicked closes.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

moulinrougehk Profile Photo
moulinrougehk
#62re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 4:50pm

Recent Sondheim's productions (Assassins, Pacific Overtures, Sweeney Todd...). I think they are just brilliant and people should know more about them. I hope that Company can stay longer, though it's fat chance.

Oh! And Spelling Bee, great show too.

Somebody sit in my chair, and ruin my sleep, and make me aware of being alive!

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#63re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 4:57pm

Imagine if Trump bought back the Mark Hellinger (Times Square Church) to do The Apprentice Musical! I would dieeeeeeeee, that would be amazing. I would even try to be a fan of the show then.

I'm jumping on the boat of "all shows should close in 3-4 years tops to keep the boards fresh and bring in new shows"

On the other hand, REALLY thinking about it, I would be very weirded out if Rent wasn't on Broadway. I think it's in terrible shape now, and I don't like what it's become, etc. And in a way, I think it's time for it to wrap up its run and go... But it would just be so so so STRANGE for it not to be on Broadway.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#64re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 6:37pm

Lestat

Poster Emeritus

Dollypop
#65re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 6:55pm

You people have no idea what I went through on December 27, 1970 when HELLO, DOLLY! closed.

I got through it.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#66re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 7:05pm

That's good to know

Poster Emeritus

Dollypop
#67re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 7:09pm

Roxy, I have only one nerve left and you're pushing it.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#68re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 7:12pm

Dolly, if you dish it out you have to learn how to take it

My original post about Lestat was in JEST & my answer to your post about Dolly was in the same vein. Lighten up my boy

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 10/27/06 at 07:12 PM

SweetQintheLights
#69re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 7:13pm

There seems to be a bit of bitterness.

I can get a private room for you two if you'd like.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#70re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 7:17pm

Only if he sleeps in the hallway

I was kidding .Problem is old Dolly does not like to be on the receiving end of what he dishes out. I was only kidding & if he cannot take a joke what can I say

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 10/27/06 at 07:17 PM

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#71re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 7:18pm

There are two. Sorry, SweetQ!
1. Off Broadway: Forbidden Broadway. It has been open for most of my life and I have seen every version but one since the start.
If it ever closed, I would be very sad.
2. Avenue Q. No other show has touched me like Q.
PS:
I have become a fan of Jay Johnson this season and have seen his show three times. You really should see it it is wonderful.
I want to pinch Darwin's tush.
Also, I love Shout, Hairspray, A Chorus Line and Grey Gardens and would love for them to have very long and healthy lives on Broadway and off!
I would love for Hairspray to stay on Broadway longer than Cats! Updated On: 10/27/06 at 07:18 PM

Anthony3 Profile Photo
Anthony3
#72re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?
Posted: 10/27/06 at 7:20pm

The Drowsy Chaperone

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#73re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?

Forbidden will never close as it is always updated. The operating nut is miniscule

I wish more of their parodies would have been put on CD

Poster Emeritus

SweetQintheLights
#74re: What show would you be absolutely devestated about if it closed?

Now, Now Corine. If you must have two, you know Avenue Q should come first.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

Videos