pixeltracker

re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see a production of it?- Page 3

re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see a production of it?

AlmostFamous2 Profile Photo
AlmostFamous2
#50re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/5/06 at 9:36pm

When I was little I was obsessed with Annie. I had the movie, and for my birthday on year my parents took my sister and I to see a production at a local dinner theater.

After that I think I had mini obsessions with the musicals that I was in (Oliver!, The Wizard of Oz, the King and I).

But like 3 years ago I started digging Rent. I saw it on Broadway. Then I heard about the movie and saw it when it came out. Then I saw it on the opening night of the US tour in January of this year.

Then in the spring I became obsessed with my new favorite musical of all time -- Wicked.

Muhlethaler
#51re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/6/06 at 1:08am

Updated On: 8/31/11 at 01:08 AM

mauriposa
#52re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/6/06 at 2:04am

After childhood obsessions with Annie (of course) and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (the first show I ever saw in a theater), Broadway kind of left my focus. RENT pulled me back in over a year ago with all of the hype for the movie. Since then, including a tour of RENT, I've seen six shows (and two of them twice) and purchased waaaaaaaaay too many cast recordings.

Revolutionary Profile Photo
Revolutionary
#53re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/6/06 at 2:23am

I don't know if West Side Story or Les Miz was my first love, I guess I was into both of them equally at the same time. I first saw West Side Story the movie when I was 6 or 7 and I remember watching it everyday. But my Mom used to have the OBC of Les Miz on all the time so it was always there too. I guess West Side Story didn't really stand the test of time for me but I'm stil totally in love with Les Miz. I still watch the Tenth Anniversary concert once in a while, even though I've seen it already about a hundred bazillion times. But anyway, so I've seen the actual show 4 times ans I'll definitely see the revival as many times as I can.

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#54re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/6/06 at 11:56am

The first show I was obsessed with was Phantom of the Opera and I haven't seen it in years. But I did buy the movie.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

MistressoftheHouse
#55re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/6/06 at 12:10pm

Mine's weird because my obsession isn't my all-time favorite show...does that ever happen?

Anyway, my obsession is The Wedding Singer. But really, it was too perfect. I was a casual fan of theater, but it's too expensive and the great productions are too far away, so I hardly ever got to go. But I'm a big Adam Sandler fan and TWS is a classic. I've been wanting to see more live theater just because it's awesome, but couldn't go without a really good reason. I love cheesy 80s and 90s pop so the songs really fit for me. AND I'm huge (obsessive?) Stephen Lynch fan so when this all came together I had to see it.

So, I saw it once in August and now I'm going to see it again this Saturday and can't wait!

Avatar credit goes to _shiksagoddess_ on livejournal.com.

shiksagoddess2 Profile Photo
shiksagoddess2
#56re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/6/06 at 2:43pm

The FIRST show I was obsessed with was POTO (in high school - aeons ago!!!) - seen it twice on tour, once in NY

When I grew up the next obsession was probably Wicked... then Sweeney... then L5Y (tho not TECHNICALLY Broadway)... now it's basically anything that falls out of the pen of JRB.

shiksagoddess2 Profile Photo
shiksagoddess2
#57re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/6/06 at 2:44pm

The FIRST show I was obsessed with was POTO (in high school - aeons ago!!!) - seen it twice on tour, once in NY

When I grew up the next obsession was probably Wicked... then Sweeney... then L5Y (tho not TECHNICALLY Broadway)... now it's basically anything that falls out of the pen of JRB.

Or that stars NORBERT!!!!!!!

darwhite915
#58re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/6/06 at 3:47pm

Definitely Sweeney, when I was about 12 or so I watched the recorded version on PBS. Made a huge impression on me.

I was in college and too poor to see the '89 revival. But in '02, when I was grown up and had money, I planned a trip to London just to see the production at Sadler's Wells. It was awesome to see a full-scale production. I returned to see the Doyle production in the West End, and again on Broadway last year.

While I enjoyed them all, my favorite remains the original, well, almost original with Hearn.

JLY's Jersey Gal Profile Photo
JLY's Jersey Gal
#59re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/18/06 at 9:58am

A few more days until I see CATS.........

"Awww! Boo!"

Hank
#60re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/18/06 at 11:07am

THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE
I've seen it 7 times on Broadway, including just before the Tonys, on Sutton's birthday, Sutton's finale, and the final performance, plus the 2 national tours.
I got to meet most of the cast and have just about every souvenier going, including a Playbill signed by writers Tesori and Scanlan at the final performance.

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#61re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/18/06 at 11:27am

The Phantom of the Opera was my first obsession and definitely my biggest. I first saw it on Broadway in October 1995 with Davis Gaines, Tracy Shayne, and Brad Little (as Raoul, before he became a very popular Phantom). It's not the most highbrow or perfect musical, but I can't think of a classic that really is. Phantom is the one show that's been able to thrill me for over a decade. It stands out among my musical loves, even if I'm not always "obsessed" with it.

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)

DayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
#62re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/18/06 at 12:03pm

A Chorus Line. Don't remember when I first heard the music or the concept, though. I did not grow up in this country... and we didn't really get musicals back home. I just know that by the time the movie came out (the HORROR!) I was anxiously waiting for it. When I moved to the U.S. in 1988, it was my very first Broadway show.

Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#63re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/18/06 at 12:05pm

A Chorus Line was my first Broadway show obsession, as a 13-year-old back in Kansas.

I've seen it several times over the years, and been in the show as well two decades ago...

From the moment I became familiar with it, it was a driving force in my life that led me to pursue a professional career.

...and I decided not to see it when I was in NY recently. After discussing the Broadway revival with so many people who were a part of our production, or the original production, or who know me well, I ultimately decided to skip it. I have no regrets. I still know exactly what this show means to me... and I don't need a non-must-see revival to either taint or confirm my passionate feelings for ACL, either way.

I'm sure I will visit a production of it again some day. I don't feel the NEED to... it's been "perfect theatre" for me before, and the odds of it reaching that level again are very slim. I'm happy with my memories, photos, cast recordings, and the friends I still have in my life who were a part of it.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

lucydee Profile Photo
lucydee
#64re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/18/06 at 1:59pm

It would have to be Jersey Boys.
It all started for me last October 2005
when it was in previews. Then I got Obsessed!
I could not stop going with family, friends,
clients and I keep going back till this day.
I've seen it 12 times! Yes 12!

Now its Les Mis. So far seen it twice will be going
again Thanksgiving Weekend!

Feel the Love - Les Mis

geekgirl06 Profile Photo
geekgirl06
#65re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/18/06 at 3:44pm

The first show I was obsessed with was probably Into the Woods. My last obsession is Spring Awakening, which hopefully I'll get to see next time I'm in NYC, and who knows when that'll be re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see

Dancing through life... For the next ten minutes

rosekwbp Profile Photo
rosekwbp
#66re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/18/06 at 3:52pm

Gypsy and I saw the revival twice.

bwayondabrain
#67re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/18/06 at 3:55pm

FIDDLER ON THE ROOF when I was 11

i saw the revival in NYC then twice, and yeah, i loved it, and it made me want to convert to Judaism. yeah.

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
WickedForever2 Profile Photo
WickedForever2
#69re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/18/06 at 4:34pm

Ok here's me making an ass of myself:

Les Mis was my first Broadway show which I proceeded to see four times and plan to see in London, which leads to my next obsession, Wicked which I have already seen four times and am flying to London to see 5 more times.

*Runs away quickly*

wackjack132 Profile Photo
wackjack132
#70re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/18/06 at 6:44pm

Well the first show I ever was sort of obsessed with was Les Mis. But I wasn't into theater then, so I would just play teh CD everynow and then. And that was all after seeing it on tour.

But the first real obsession, after the Theater Nerd title could be applied, would have to be RENT. I heard Seasons of Love and was hooked. Got home and got the whole CD. Then I started to branch out. So, RENT is pretty much the reason I'm such a theater junkie today re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see.

And I've seen it twice on B'way and just saw the Tour last Saturday. It still is amazing (despite the growing annoyance with some of the other Renth-heads.)

Actrzz
#71re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/18/06 at 8:57pm

Well, my first obsession was definitely A CHORUS LINE. I come from a family of dancers, and after seeing the movie, I've always wanted to be in a production someday, or see it done live. I know the soundtrack backwards and forwards, and I've had a vision of the musical in my head for years.

Until about 2 weeks ago . . . I finally had the chance to see it after all this time. So, I splurged and bought really expensive tickets to see my all-time favorite musical, and . . .I was so disappointed, in tears almost. I wanted the music to be louder, and I wanted to see everyone on that stage fighting with their soul, to be apart of line. There were some beautiful moments by members of the cast, but as a whole, I wanted more. Do I regret it? I mean, I'm not sure, because I finally got the chance to see it, but it wasn't the image a had in my head. After hearing everyone talk about the first broadway production, and other productions for that matter, it just makes me wish I was there, to have experienced what everyone talks about. Being on the edge of your seat, dancing, excited, and completely moved to tears by the end. My husband said this was the first production where he didn't cry at the end . . . but I was still moved by some of the cast members who had that desire to "get the part". I'm glad I saw it, but it definitely lessened that initial excitement and passion that I had. However, I still have my cast recording to remind me of what it can be . . .

I think I'll try . . . defying gravity.

JLY's Jersey Gal Profile Photo
JLY's Jersey Gal
#72re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/24/06 at 1:11pm

Well, I finally saw CATS. It was great!

"Awww! Boo!"

dramaparoxysm23 Profile Photo
dramaparoxysm23
#73re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 12/29/06 at 9:10pm

Spamalot, and I saw it August 6, 2005.

God, I'm so much newer to theatre than most of you. Gotta start somewhere, though, eh?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I remember days
Or at least I try
But as years go by
They're sort of haze
And the bluest ink
Isn't really sky
And at times I think
I would gladly die
For a day of sky

And Starbucks will use the words 'large' and 'small', not pretentious crap like grande and tall.
"You could get away with anything if you call it art and tell people who don't like it that it's cutting edge culture." --vmlinnie
Updated On: 12/29/06 at 09:10 PM

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#74re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 12/29/06 at 9:12pm

Mine was Rent. Saw a touring production, which only fueled the fire. It was my first Broadway musical, and I loved it. Have seen it on Broadway almost everytime I go to NYC.