pixeltracker

Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner

Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner

FrontRowCenter2 Profile Photo
FrontRowCenter2
#1Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 6:25am

From today's NY Post (Riedel):

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11082006/entertainment/theater/monster_of_a_reading_theater_michael_riedel.htm

November 8, 2006 -- SUPER duper!

Or, as the Monster would say, "Soooper doooper!"

That's what I'm hearing about the reading of "Young Frankenstein," the new musical from Mel Brooks and his longtime writing partner, Tom Meehan.

They unveiled their new show to 20 carefully chosen Broadway insiders Monday afternoon. A large woman with a clipboard stood in the middle of the doorway to make sure that no one slipped by who hadn't personally been invited by Brooks, his director Susan Stroman or his producer, Bob Sillerman, founder of the entertainment company SFX.

Brooks has been very secretive about "Young Frankenstein." The actors were given the script just a few days before the reading with instructions not to let it out of their sight. But several people who attended the reading said Brooks and Meehan may well have another "Producers" on their hands.

"Absolutely hilarious," one said.

"A total winner," another said.

For the entire article, click on the link above.
Updated On: 11/8/06 at 06:25 AM

NathanLaneStalker
#1re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 7:25am

The Producers is closing!?!? Oh well. I knew it was gonna happen some time...

I CAN'T WAIT FOR YF!! I usually don't pay full price for shows but I'm buying these tix as soon as they come out!

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#2re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 7:44am

Definitely predict a hit here......

jasobres
#3re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 11:07am

Actually, the Monster would say, "OOOPEH DOOOOOPEH!"

By the way, I love the song title previews! Can't wait to hear them. Guess they're not using "Ah, Sweet Mystery of Life." Would've loved to hear Kristin sing that in her signature soprano.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth
Updated On: 11/8/06 at 11:07 AM

justafan2
#4re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 11:14am

Can't wait, can't wait!!! What an amazing cast--- which has the potential to make this very funny story into an incredible show!

shesamarshmallow
#5re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 11:18am

That cast is stellar.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

leefowler
#6re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 11:19am

Ah, Sweet Mystery Of Life is in the show...But, as in the movie, just the first two lines of it are sung.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#7re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 11:20am

Guess I'll be at my computer the moment these tickets go on sale.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#8re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 11:24am

Excellent

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#9re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 11:26am

Could they really affored that cast in one show?

NathanLaneStalker
#10re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 11:28am

If the cast were smart they'd do it for free. lol

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

jasobres
#11re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 11:28am

If they can afford Brian, Marc and Kristin for The Apple Tree, they certainly can afford the same trio to be in this surefire hit.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#12re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 11:49am

Brian, Marc and Kristin are getting paid literally nothing for THE APPLE TREE, as it is Roundabout and not-for-profit.

Regardless, what's this nonsense about shows being able to "afford" a celebrity? If the Weisslers can afford Usher, SFX can afford Cloris Leachman.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
Updated On: 11/8/06 at 11:49 AM

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#13re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 11:53am

I would like to see Sherie René Scott as Inga. Her comic skills are perfect for the role.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#14re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 12:00pm

I love Sherie Renee Scott and I think she's extremely attractive, but I think she's kind of a bit too big boned for that part.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
Updated On: 11/8/06 at 12:00 PM

rose_pearl Profile Photo
rose_pearl
#15re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 12:08pm

I can't wait for this!

~*Sara*~

Who would play you in the movie? "Taye Diggs." --Brian d'Arcy James

ACTlete676 Profile Photo
ACTlete676
#16re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 12:12pm

I wonder where the out of town tryout will be

Who says blondes have more fun on the French Riviera?

Jon
#17re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 12:16pm

Personally, I would move Roger Bart up to the lead. At least he's somewhat of a "name" from Desperate Housewives.

FrontRowCenter2 Profile Photo
FrontRowCenter2
#18re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 12:25pm

It's my understanding that the out of town tryouts are going to be in Chicago - same as with The Producers. May just have to see it pre broadway first!

#19re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 12:37pm

It better preview here in Chicago! It's Mel Brooks "Lucky CIty" after the Producers.

The only item in Reidel's column I have toruble with is the idea that the "Money Men" are reluctant to let Broderick play the part of Frankenstein aftrer his performance in "Odd Couple." Despite poor reviews, the "money Men" made mountains of money off that production. And "Matthew Broderick" certainly sells more tickets than "Brian Darcy James."

munkustrap178
#20re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 12:48pm

THE ODD COUPLE made their money before the show even opened. People just wanted to see Lane and Broderick together againn, and we all know who wears the pants in that relationship.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

worrell4077
#21re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 12:49pm

"Despite poor reviews, the "money Men" made mountains of money off that production. And "Matthew Broderick" certainly sells more tickets than "Brian Darcy James."

That maybe so, but I think the big draw for Young Frankenstein will be Cloris Leachman.

In all I really cannot wait for this. Fall 2007 seems even more far away than it does now and I am a bit depressed that The Producers maybe closing in the spring, but if anything should fill the St. James, I hope it would be Young Frankenstein(I actually had a thought a couple of years ago when I heard about YF coming to Broadway and I made the comment about how cool it would be if YF went into the St. James after The Producers).

munkustrap178
#22re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 12:54pm

The biggest asset to YF is THE PRODUCERS.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#23re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 12:56pm

Don't they both wear pants?

JasonM12480
#24re: Young Frankenstein Reading: Seems Like a Winner
Posted: 11/8/06 at 1:06pm

How thrilling! Cannot wait for this. It's one of my favorite Mel Brooks movies.

And as excited as I am to see Cloris - I hope she can really handle 8 shows a week at her age. True - she's in great shape and health, but I think she's over 80 now...no spring chicken. But what an amazing opportunity for her, and the entire cast. Sounds like a hit. Where did they go right, indeed!

Videos