pixeltracker

"DREAMGIRLS" film is EW's Cover Story this week!

"DREAMGIRLS" film is EW's Cover Story this week!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#1"DREAMGIRLS" film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/10/06 at 12:25pm

It's the HOLIDAY MOVIE PREVIEW issue and the cover story is DREAMGIRLS with a lengthy article inside about the film and predictions about Oscar nominations (they give three locks and other possibilities...DREAMGIRLS, they predict, is a lock for Best Supporting Actress *Hudson*, Best Supporting Actor *Murphy*, Best Director, and Best Picture of the Year!!!!). Also, pick up this week's PREMIERE MAGAZINE (Oscar predictions, also including multiple DREAMGIRLS nods).

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/10/06 at 1:36pm

re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!

A link to the complete article (and more) is below.

Enjoy!

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY - Article Link

thejcm Profile Photo
thejcm
#3re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/10/06 at 1:49pm

Anika looks STUNNING in the picture of her laying across the stage. As does Jennifer in her close up. I am so excited for this movie.

"Who says you can't bend over backwards and eat bugs if you want to? I guess the bugs would probably say you can't do that that, but assuming that they are willing and consenting bugs, then there's no problem. Let's wig out eating bugs." -RuPaul

BrodyFosse123
Fiction Writer Profile Photo
Fiction Writer
#5re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/10/06 at 5:12pm

Wow.
Great photos.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#6re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/10/06 at 5:17pm

Am I the only one who thinks that the cover shot of Jennifer with Beyonce and Anika is badly re-touched? It looks like they slimmed her down..

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#7re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/10/06 at 5:27pm

That's because she IS slimmed down. Jennifer has been losing weight since the wrapping of Dreamgirls. You can see that she's a lot slimmer in other pictures, such as in Fashion Magazine, Ebony, and others.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#8re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/10/06 at 7:33pm

I was sooo happy when I went to get my mail today and this was there!

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#9re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 3:25pm

"Meantime, Condon is fiddling with the myriad fine-tuning adjustments any movie needs but a musical, especially, demands. In a couple of scenes involving sung dialogue that tripped up early test audiences, he's made a few brief trims and substitutions — putting dialogue in place of melody — to help ease the potential discordancy of watching characters who sometimes sing directly to each other, not simply from a stage (as in Ray and Walk the Line)."

*tries not to let that part of the article worry him*

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#10re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 8:47pm

All three of them are extremely lickable!

Broadwayboy2631 Profile Photo
Broadwayboy2631
#11re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 8:56pm

ead the issue last night in one sitting. I especially loved the Dreamgirls feature article. I’m going to see it next moth at the Zigfeld. I cant wait I’m thinking its going to be the next Chicago!

BrodyFosse123
#12re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 9:00pm

For those worried -- an Extended Director's Cut of DREAMGIRLS is going to be released in theatres Christmas 2007.

Bill Condon has had to trim certains bits here and there that were indeed filmed but due to test screening audiences reactions not being too positive, he's chosen to fix the moments. From what I understand, the sung-thru sequences were always in question, therefore they were filmed 2 ways -- in their original musical form and as regular dialogue scenes (with different dialogue than the lyrics). One sequence that is indeed confirmed 'cut' is the Effie/C.C. reunion "Effie Sing My Song". The scene is still there, but not in musical form.

Next Christmas we'll get the full-version Bill Condon filmed and always intended. Maybe he'll go back and film "Ain't No Party" -- a number which was never included in the film; it was never filmed nor recorded nor included at all in the script.

At least we'll get DREAMGIRLS the way we always wanted. Not now...but later. re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!

Plum
#13re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 9:49pm

If I'm interpreting word from the test screenings correctly, "It's All Over" is still sung-through, at least. Anyway, film != stage, so some conversion to dialogue doesn't bug me that much. It's good that Condon is going with what works rather than standing on the false principle of perfect source adherence.

Great article, great photos, and it's not like I needed more encouragement to look forward to this film. :)

BrodyFosse123
#14re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/11/06 at 10:15pm

Though all the sung-thru sections were filmed in the 2 different ways, "It's All Over" was only shot one way: in it's original sung-thru form, so need to worry about that one. re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!

Only the "Effie Sing My Song" section is now a dialogue scene in the film, though the sung-thru version will be included on the soundtrack recording coming out on December 5th.

Phew! I leaking too much info here. Hahahahaha. re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!

catstagestud Profile Photo
catstagestud
#15re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/12/06 at 12:45am

Keep goin' Brody! re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week! I'm so excited for this film!! re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!

Cheers,

Christopher

www.christopherviolett.com

jwsel
#16re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/12/06 at 12:51am

I'm so sorry to see Effie Sing My Song taken out. I listened to the clip off the Sony website and it sounded great. Plus, it doesn't sound like CC gets much singing time and I suspect that was Keith Robinson's big musical moment.
Updated On: 11/12/06 at 12:51 AM

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#17re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/12/06 at 1:47am

that and "family"

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

jwsel
#18re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/12/06 at 2:15am

That's true. For some reason, when I listened to the clips on Sony's website (before they were removed), it didn't register as strongly as a CC number as the clip from Effie, Sing My Song.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#19re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/12/06 at 9:25am

"It's good that Condon is going with what works rather than standing on the false principle of perfect source adherence."

I just wonder if it really works better, or if it just will work better for people who aren't huge fans of musicals in the first place.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

BrodyFosse123
#20re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/12/06 at 9:35am

Just confirmed -- "Ain't No Party" will never be included in the film-adaption of DREAMGIRLS, so there goes any hope that Bill would go back and shoot it for inclusion in next Christmas' Extended Version.

Bummers. re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!

PS: ...and yes, I'll be seeing the final 'release' version of the film this Wednesday night. Whoo-hoo! Word to your mother! re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#21re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/12/06 at 9:40am

This is Off-Topic.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#22re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/12/06 at 10:57am

Thank you so much for the wonderful pictures and information

I've been waiting for this movie for years and I can't even express how happy I am that it's finally coming

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#23re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/12/06 at 11:39am

Who's the kid in that picture?

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

BrodyFosse123
#24re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/12/06 at 11:57am

Jordan Wright playing Teddy Campbell of the Campbell Connection, a Michael Jackson/Jackson Five-type group on Curtis Taylor Jr.'s Rainbow Records label.

They're only seen in a background performance taking place at a Rainbow Records 10th Anniversary Gala -- they're not 'new' characters added to the plot.

They perform "Perfect World", one of the four new songs written by the show's original composer, Henry Krieger, for the film-adaption.

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#25re: 'DREAMGIRLS' film is EW's Cover Story this week!
Posted: 11/12/06 at 12:13pm

anika.. wow

Videos