News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

"Working" the musical

MarkRascati
#1"Working" the musical
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:29pm

Is this musical a fun one to perform?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#1re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/12/06 at 6:31pm

I do not know about performing it but i saw the original with a than unknown Patti Lupone. I throughly enjoyed it

It played the than 46 th Street now the Richard Rodgers

Poster Emeritus

husk_charmer
#2re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/12/06 at 7:17pm

This was our musical my senior year of High School, and I really, really enjoyed it. The show is dated, but is still really amazing. It is one of the most demanding shows I've ever done dramatically (Tall, thin 12 y/o looking me playing Joe, the retired guy), but the research put into it on everyone's behalf showed through.
Mr. Roxy- What was the set like for the original production?

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#3re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/12/06 at 7:25pm

I did it a few years ago (I played Mike Dillard). It was so much fun! Great score too!

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

pjsings Profile Photo
pjsings
#4re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/12/06 at 7:30pm

it was my first show at college...i think it has really great moments...we had the "updated" script...good music...great ensemble piece

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#5re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/12/06 at 7:30pm

I don't there was a set per se

I think they just had specific props for each song

Poster Emeritus

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#6re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/12/06 at 7:35pm

I've done the show as well... I played Frank Decker the truck driver, and sang "Brother Trucker" and "Fathers and Sons." (Yes, I was the only Diva in our show with TWO songs, 'cause I sang awful purdy.)

It was one of the best experiences I've had being part of an ensemble show. Our director had a lot of creative vision, and worked on the flow and synergy of all the characters on stage, so it didn't feel too disjointed or segmented. We each stayed as one character throughout the entire show, and turned up in other character's scenes and numbers, when appropriate. We each had a lot of extra "business" on stage, interacting with each other through the entire thing. So, a character you saw as "atmosphere" in one worker's environment would eventually be the focus of another one. It really helped the arc of the entire show.

And it was a big hit for us locally. After the reviews came out, we sold out for the rest of our run.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#7re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/12/06 at 7:52pm

My friends were in it during a summer theater season awhile back.

I didn't see it, but they told me it was awesome to perform and be around doing all the different jobs.

My friends were Babe the Checkout Girl and the Delivery Guy and The UPS man.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#8re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/12/06 at 8:33pm

I think it is fun if it is done right. It is more of a small casted show. There are some great musical numbers though, and you can clearly tell which Bway Composer wrote them.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#9re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/12/06 at 8:36pm

^ definately! There's a part of All the Live Long Day that sounds just like One Short Day.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

Tchi4Lif188 Profile Photo
Tchi4Lif188
#10re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/12/06 at 8:59pm

i did tech for this show about 2 years ago. i really enjoyed it!

"Wishes come true, not free..."

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#11re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/12/06 at 9:28pm

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#12re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/12/06 at 9:31pm

My friend was in it, he liked being in it, but i didn't think it was a very good show... (I guess I'm not a Steven Swartz(sp?) fan...)

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

new_philosophy_girl Profile Photo
new_philosophy_girl
#13re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/12/06 at 9:44pm

My high school did this my senior year and I did sets and makeup. It is a lot of fun to do, I know everyone in the cast really enjoyed themselves. One of the highlights was during the UPS man's delivery, instead of having a girl go out and sunbathe in a bikini we sent out our friend Larry in a bikini. All 200 hairy pounds of him in a bikini, priceless....especially when the boy playing the UPS man turned around and saw him re: 'Working' the musical

Sponsor me as I walk the Philadelphia AIDS Walk - Sunday, October 16, 2011. Many of our friends, family and neighbors are in desperate need of health care services and other life-saving programs, but with cutbacks in government dollars , these programs are often under-funded. Now, more than ever, your donations are needed to support organizations providing HIV/AIDS awareness, prevention education, counseling and testing and care services for people living with HIV/AIDS. http://www.aidswalkphilly.org/users/index.php/profile/detail/186643

brdlwyr
#14re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/12/06 at 10:56pm

I love the music, I wish that the horrible OBC recording would be updated.

husk_charmer
#15re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/12/06 at 11:01pm

brdlwyr-
Well, while the OBC is by FAR superior, there is a recording by LA Theatreworks, which is about on par with a coaster. However, I do beg you to reconsider, while some of the men leave lots to be desired, the women are almost spot on brilliant. Lynne Thigpen tears it up with "If I Could've Been" and Susan Bigelow breaks my heart with "Just a Housewife." For a show that had 25 total performances, the talent is unbelievable.

Jon
#16re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/12/06 at 11:10pm

For those only familiar with the original, the new revised version cuts out the Newsboy's song (Thank goodsness!) and adds a new song for Babe, the supermarket checker, and the old James Taylor song "Traffic Jam" as an ensemble number. Some of the original monologues are gone and some new ones added. The merchant marine is gone, and there's a new monologue for a telemarketer. In a very clever re-write, the hooker's monologue is interspersed with a monologue by a wealthy society lady who does volunteer fundraising for charities.

husk_charmer
#17re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/12/06 at 11:14pm

The newsboy cut was def. an improvment, that is one of the songs I skip, everytime. I liked the revisions fairly well actually, I just didn't like the recording.
For whatever this is worth, this is one of the few musicals that if I could go back in time and see in it's original version, I would.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#18re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/13/06 at 6:57am

There is a DVD (maybe out of print by now) of a version of the show. It runs 1 1/2 hours. I thought i would hate it but it is rather good unlike the horrendous Jacquel Brel movie

Poster Emeritus

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#19re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/13/06 at 8:15am

I also have a video of the PBS version of the show. It starred Beth Howland as the housewife, Taylor as the truck driver, Patti LaBelle as the cleaning lady. I was charmed by the show when it opened (to very unfavorable reviews). It's an enjoyable ensemble piece.

Jon
#20re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/13/06 at 9:46am

The video is the same PBS version that's on DVD. It also has Barry Bostwick as the steel worker who sings "Fathers and Sons", and the late Scatman Carothers as "Lovin' Al".

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#21re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/13/06 at 9:59am

Those changes sound very interesting! Especially the hooker/society lady volunteer.

I did the show about five years after it was on Broadway, so it was the "original" material.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#22re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/13/06 at 10:36am

I was in this show as 12 year old kid playing the newsboy. You're all right that it's an annoying song, but it got me my first fangirl/stalker!

My sister did a production about 4 years ago in which she played the millworker in the updated script. I thought it worked as well as the original, but with some problems still there.

The best staging I've seen added Joe and the newsboy into Fathers and Sons during the chorus, more visually than musically, I guess, but man was it a tearjerker!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#23re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/13/06 at 10:47am

Ourtime992 --- We also had Joe and the newsboy in our Fathers & Sons staging! It helped so much to have various other characters seen throughout the show and involved in shaping the songs, monologues, and the locations. At the end of that song, we had this REALLY little kid (I think he was only THREE) run out on stage and jump into my arms on the last note. There wasn't a dry eye in the house.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#24re: 'Working' the musical
Posted: 12/13/06 at 10:48am

I did this my freshman year of college. I played Roberto. I had a good time, but I'm not sure if that's because of the show or the fact I was a freshman in a mainstage show, haha.

~Steven

Videos