pixeltracker

West Side Story would've been a better choice

West Side Story would've been a better choice

Fiction Writer Profile Photo
Fiction Writer
#1West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 3:13pm

Instead of reviving GREASE!, West Side Story should've been revived... although I'm not sure what the title would've been.

I'd rather seee WSS insted.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#2re: West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 3:16pm

With people from a reality show? No thank you!

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#2re: West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 3:17pm

Yeah, seriously. Now we will actually get a WSS revival done right!

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#3re: West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 3:18pm

There's already a thread on alternative show choices.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#4re: West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 3:19pm

I say skip the reality show and just revive WSS.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Fiction Writer
#5re: West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 3:22pm

I did a manual search and didn't find it... But I only looked on the first four or five pages.

It may be a reality show, but WSS is a far superior show. And we'd get to see Sondheim in public. I'm sure some very talented New Yorkers would've auditioned.

Fiction Writer
#6re: West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 3:32pm

"I say skip the reality show and just revive WSS."

That'll work too.

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#7re: West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 3:35pm

I say skip the revivals and promote new and inovative musical theatre

But that's just me re: West Side Story would've been a better choice

ashley0139
#8re: West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 3:35pm

I am all for a revival of WSS. But if they were to do it as a reality show, that would rule out everyone except hispanic women and white guys. It wouldn't really work.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

MargoChanning
#9re: West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 3:47pm

There's NO way Arthur Laurents, Sondheim and the Robbins estate would have ever said yes to a reality show about WSS. Never (they're way too protective of it which is why there hasn't been a revival in 27 years).

When they let it come back (which hopefully be sooner rather than later -- perhaps after Jerry Mitchell finishes with LEGALLY BLONDE) it'll be in a first class Broadway production with the best Broadway triple threats they can get.

GREASE isn't a particularly demanding show and you don't really need top notch talent for it to work (which is why non-singers like Rosie O'Donnell could star in the last revival).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Fiction Writer
#10re: West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 3:48pm

"I say skip the revivals and promote new and inovative musical theatre."

As of right now, there are six revivals of 30 total shows. There's room for one more. It might as well be a good show instead of a mediocre one.

ABoyLikeThat
#11re: West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 3:52pm

God, please no reality TV shows and especially for WSS.

OOTI2004 Profile Photo
OOTI2004
#12re: West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 3:54pm

Is this thread about reviving WSS in general or making a reality show out of its casting, if so, than absolutely not. The show requires extremely strong singers, at least for Maria and Tony, and unfortunately America thinks, as proved by American Idol, that the best singers are those that can yell the loudest and push as much of the note through their nose as possible. I would definately love to see the show revived, but only with great talent, and hopefully no "names" who don't really have what it takes.

FutureElphie Profile Photo
FutureElphie
#13re: West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 3:57pm

I watched the Grease thing on T.V and couldn't even believe the people they put through!!! I was really excited to watch it, because I thought it would be really cool to get an idea of what a typical broadway audition is like. But I almost dreaded watching it. maybe it will be better at Grease academy or something ?? But overall I think this was a horrible idea and I can see it not being very successful at all!

-I couldn't help it Janet! She was just like you, only french... ~Robert-The Drowsy Chaperone~

FutureElphie Profile Photo
FutureElphie
#14re: West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 3:58pm

oh, and I'd choose seeing a revival of West Side Story over Grease ANY day!

-I couldn't help it Janet! She was just like you, only french... ~Robert-The Drowsy Chaperone~

MrBundles Profile Photo
MrBundles
#15re: West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 4:29pm

i agree fiction...WSS would be nice....anything but grease would be okay actually.

Your fupa is showing.

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#16re: West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 5:12pm

I would love to see WSS...

Perfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
#17re: West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 6:39pm

WSS is by far a better choice. But I agree with others who stated that it would be terrible for a reality-type show. I definitely think it should be revived, though. It's such a fantastic show to see and to be a part of [yes, I'm a little partial to this one because I played Doc in a production of it].

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#18re: West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 6:50pm

According to Zagat for years, WSS is the most requested revival.

desiree armfeldt Profile Photo
desiree armfeldt
#19re: West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 7:56pm

yeah...WSS merited a revival more than Grease did, but these people are here to make money. I mean, if they were advertising a reality show of Sweeney Todd then the only people at the audition would be people who post on this board regularly :). Grease is one of the most well known musicals out there. It's a campy show, and thats what gave it the potential to be used as a reality show. Although i would LOVE to see a revival of west side story, i would rather it cast with professionals and to not have to struggle through watching soccer coaches and pharmaceutical reps try and sing the music.

SporkGoddess
#20re: West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 8:47pm

My sister thinks they should have chosen WSS because then the bad people wouldn't slip through. I say no, because if there's anything I've learned, it's that the average American wouldn't know a good soprano voice if one shattered their wineglasses with a C6.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

bluepanda
#21re: West Side Story would've been a better choice
Posted: 1/9/07 at 11:10pm

you can't rely on a tv show for that kind of casting

Videos