pixeltracker

If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be James Brown, who is Curtis suppose to be?

If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be James Brown, who is Curtis suppose to be?

willact4food Profile Photo
willact4food
#1If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be James Brown, who is Curtis suppose to be?
Posted: 1/10/07 at 7:30pm

I'm not familiar with music producers of that time period, as I am a youngin'. But I'd love to know if he's actually loosely based off of a famous/semi-famous figure like the others are. And if he is, I'd really like to research him and find out more about him, this way I have a bigger appreciation for the show and now movie.

Thanks!
--Brandon
Updated On: 1/10/07 at 07:30 PM

thevolleyballer
#2re: If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be James Brown, who is Curtis suppose to be?
Posted: 1/10/07 at 7:31pm

That would be Berry Gordy, Jr., the music producer mainly responsible for Motown, many would argue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berry_Gordy Updated On: 1/10/07 at 07:31 PM

Mattbrain
#2re: If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be James Brown, who is Curtis suppose to be?
Posted: 1/10/07 at 7:33pm

I concur.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

willact4food
#3re: If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be James Brown, who is Curtis suppose to be?
Posted: 1/10/07 at 7:35pm

"Berry, however, dropped out of high school in the eleventh grade to become a professional boxer in hopes of becoming rich quick..."
-Funny that they went to a boxing match in the movie in order to 'get rich fast'. I read someone's review of the movie, and they noted that they didn't like the boxing scene in 'Stepping to the Bad Side'. Now I guess we have a reason why it's there!

"The store was unsuccessful and Gordy sought work at the Lincoln-Mercury plant..."
-The writers followed this guy's life to a tee, didn't they?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#4re: If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be James Brown, who is Curtis suppose to be?
Posted: 1/10/07 at 7:36pm

Jamie Foxx said that he was his inspiration.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

willact4food
#5re: If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be James Brown, who is Curtis suppose to be?
Posted: 1/10/07 at 7:38pm

Really? That's interesting. I didn't pay much attention to the interviews Jamie did for the movie. He's gone too Hollywood glam for me, but that's another story...

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
eb412
#7re: If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be James Brown, who is Curtis suppose to be?
Posted: 1/10/07 at 7:50pm

its definately based on berry gordy. he had a relationship with diana ross and made her the lead singer...very taboo at the time.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#9re: If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be
Posted: 1/10/07 at 7:52pm

We were all thinking that, but it really has nothing to do with this thread, kyle.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

willact4food
#10re: If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be
Posted: 1/10/07 at 7:55pm

Ok, it's my fault. Let's not turn this into a Jamie Foxx bashing thread.

I apologize for not doing my Supremes research, but I heard that Florence was the lead singer at one point, much like Effie. Is there a reason she was knocked off as the lead? Was she a big girl? I don't remember her being large in the pictures I've seen.

This topic might belong in the Off-Topic Board. I'm sorry if I made a mistake.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#11re: If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be
Posted: 1/10/07 at 7:57pm

As with the show, Ms. Ballard had a much stronger voiice than Diana. Diana just sounded more 'white' (bland).

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#12re: If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be
Posted: 1/10/07 at 7:58pm

Yes, she was a bigger girl who had a better voice than Diana, I believe.

Edit: TheatreDiva got there first.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015
Updated On: 1/10/07 at 07:58 PM

willact4food
#13re: If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be
Posted: 1/10/07 at 8:03pm

Hmmm...it sounds to me like I need to locate some of Ms. Ballard's music/vocals!

Kringas
#14re: If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be
Posted: 1/10/07 at 8:06pm

I have a Supremes Anthology with a song called "Buttered Popcorn" on it, where Florence sings the lead.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

willact4food
#15re: If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be
Posted: 1/10/07 at 8:10pm

Kringas, it's so funny you mention that! I just bought that song on iTunes about 5 minutes ago! Wikipedia noted that she sang the lead vocals on that song.

Kringas
#16re: If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be
Posted: 1/10/07 at 8:14pm

It's not a great song by any means, but it's got a charm to it. And it's a nice chance to get to hear Ballard's voice.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey
Updated On: 1/10/07 at 08:14 PM

NiteOwl Profile Photo
NiteOwl
#17re: If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be
Posted: 1/10/07 at 8:22pm

I have the Supremes box set as well and it also includes a version of the Streisand standard "People" with Florence singing lead.

"I'm only 17 and am running on 6 cups of coffee so, forgive me if things that I post seem spastic." ~ Elphaba 43

Urban
#18re: If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be
Posted: 1/11/07 at 8:39am

I gotta admit Deena is a heck of alot nicer person then Diana ever was. Diana basically screwed her way to the top and damned anybody be in her path.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#19re: If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be
Posted: 1/11/07 at 10:04am

While Florence's voice isn't as soulful as everyone made it out to be, I STRONGLY prefer hers over Diana's voice any day.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

TonyBWay Profile Photo
TonyBWay
#20re: If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be
Posted: 1/11/07 at 10:56am

Fact:

Berry Gordy and Diana Ross actually had a child together. Her name is Rhonda Ross Kendrick, an actress on the television show, "Girlfriends." Diana's other daughter (her half sister) Tracee stars on the show as well. Dreamgirls clearly pulled a lot from the reality of these actual lives.

wheredidhegogeorge2
#21re: If Deena is suppose to be Diana Ross, and Jimmy Early is suppose to be
Posted: 1/11/07 at 12:03pm

I always thought Jimmy Early was supposed to be chuck berry, not james brown. If im mistaken please correct me, but thats what i was always told.