Cast Recording Recomendations

kitkatt456 Profile Photo
kitkatt456
#1Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/14/07 at 11:16pm

Hi, I need some new cast recordings to listen to, I was wondering if someone could recomend some. My current favourites are: The Last Five Years, Songs for a New World, Tick, tick...BOOM, RENT, Aida and Wicked.

Thank You!

crzyray Profile Photo
crzyray
#2re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/14/07 at 11:20pm

Well a new musical u should check out is Spring Awakening, it's amazing!!!

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#2re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/14/07 at 11:21pm

The Avenue Q Cast Recording broke me of my Wicked phase.

NathanLaneStalker
#3re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/14/07 at 11:24pm

With the kinds of shows I see that you like I reccomend:

Spring Awakening, Avenue Q, Godspell 2000 Revival w/Barrett Foa, Hair Actor's Fund Concert, See What I Wanna See, and A Chorus Line Revival.

They are all good.

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#4re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/14/07 at 11:27pm

God there's so many. But I will say: I recieved SIDE SHOW for hannuka. Definetly worth a buy

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#5re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/14/07 at 11:28pm

Oklahoma, Carousel, King and I, Kiss Me Kate, Showboat, My Fair Lady, Brigagoon, West Side Story, Guys and Dolls, How to Succeed in Business..., Most Happy Fella, Gypsy, Company, Follies, Sweeney Todd, Merrily We Roll Along, A Little Night Music, Hair, Nine, Grand Hotel, Into the Woods, Passion, Assassins, Carnival, Cabaret, Chicago, Falsettos, City of Angels, Sweet Charity...

I could go on...

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#6re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/14/07 at 11:32pm

I recently got 'I Love You Because.' It was an off-Broadway show, but I love the music.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

Perfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
#7re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/14/07 at 11:36pm

The Apple Tree [original Broadway Cast Recording]

And to add to jasonf's reccommendation of Cabaret;

There are two recordings of this show which are a must-have and those are the 1966 OBC with Joel Grey and Jill Haworth as well as the 1998 Revival OBC with Alan Cumming and Natasha Richardson.

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#8re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/14/07 at 11:41pm

You're right PM - both are essential -- and your pick of The Apple Tree made me realize I forgot two of my favorites: She Loves Me and Fiddler on the Roof. (There are MANY MANY more, but...)

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

kitkatt456 Profile Photo
kitkatt456
#9re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/15/07 at 12:22am

Thank you everyone. I just downloaded the spring awakening album on itunes and so far I like it. I can already tell it will be my new obsession

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#10re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/15/07 at 12:29am

It sounds like you really like the Pop-type broadway shows. However, I would recommend "Follies"!
You need some Sondheim in your collection!

SporkGoddess
#11re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/15/07 at 1:26am

If you like L5Y and Songs for a New World, you really need to check out the Parade OBC. Unless you already have it, that is.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#12re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/15/07 at 1:31am

URINETOWN!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

BwayLeadman
#13re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/15/07 at 1:33am

bat boy

bigbigbill Profile Photo
bigbigbill
#14re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/15/07 at 10:09am

The Drowsy Chaperone
Full Monty
The Wedding Singer

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#15re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/15/07 at 10:36am

wedding singer
hairspray
little shop revival
apple tree- original
mamma mia
drowsy
dreamgirls
mary poppins- london
les miz
kiss of the spider women
steel pier

Updated On: 1/15/07 at 10:36 AM

TWSFan4Ever Profile Photo
TWSFan4Ever
#16re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/15/07 at 10:38am

The Wedding Singer
Hairspray
A Chorus Line
Beauty and the Beast
Mamma Mia!
Mary Poppins (OLC)
Sweeney Todd
Tarzan
Lion King
Wicked
Dreamgirls (OBC or Movie or Concert Recording)

I can go further...haha

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#17re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/15/07 at 1:13pm

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
Hairspray
Into the Woods (a good introduction to Sondheim)
Pippin

It seems your tastes are pretty similar to mine, and these are some of my other favorites.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

kitkatt456 Profile Photo
kitkatt456
#18re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/15/07 at 2:30pm

Wow lol, thats a lot, I guess I better get listening. I'm not made of money or anything so i'll have to see if i can get some of these from the library. I have heard some songs from Parade and I wasn't as crazy about them as with L5Y and SFANW, but I will listen to it again.

Thank you for the recommendations.

snl89
#19re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/15/07 at 3:29pm

My two biggest reccomendations at the moment are Wedding Singer and Spring Awakening re: Cast Recording Recomendations two COMPLETELY different shows, but they're both insanely addicting recordings with incredible music and brilliant casts!

oh and See What I Wanna See too!

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

LANYC
#20re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/15/07 at 4:56pm

i highly recommend the film version over the obc of rent cos it was slow and boring, admitted by the cast themselves.

glimpseofstocking Profile Photo
glimpseofstocking
#21re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/15/07 at 5:11pm

I think you'd enjoy:
Bright Lights, Big City
A Chorus Line
Hair Actors Fund Benefit Concert

And I'm not sure if you'd enjoy it, but I highly reccomend Follies.

There wouldn't be lights bright enough!
Updated On: 1/15/07 at 05:11 PM

StarStruckGB Profile Photo
StarStruckGB
#22re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/15/07 at 5:16pm

The Les Miserables CSR was all I listened to up until Christmas.
When Once Upon a Mattress & La Cage aux Folles were brought back to me.

Goshen doesn't do High-School-shows.

Craww
#23re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/15/07 at 5:46pm

i highly recommend the film version over the obc of rent cos it was slow and boring, admitted by the cast themselves.

No. The cast themselves never admitted the OBCR was "slow and boring". Some of them have said they prefer the movie soundtrack because of the production and the more relaxed recording experience. Not the same thing. But the original poster already has Rent, so it's kind of a moot point on this thread.

Based on the ones mentioned atop? I'll reiterate Spring Awakening and See What I Wanna See, and add Hedwig and the Angry Inch (either recording, though I prefer the movie soundtrack) and Taboo (Broadway version, if you like Raul Esparza from TTB).

I want to recommend the Actors Fund Benefit of Chess, but keep forgetting that was never released. re: Cast Recording Recomendations The Actors Fund Benefit Recording of Hair is a good bet, too.

Of course you need Sondheim, but some recordings are much easier to understand than others. I had to study Sweeney Todd to really make the recordings of that work for me. My own personal Baby's First Sondheim, the one recording that I got immediately, was the revival recording of Assassins.

kitkatt456 Profile Photo
kitkatt456
#24re: Cast Recording Recomendations
Posted: 1/15/07 at 6:09pm

Thank you, yeah I'd like to get into Sweeney Todd, because everyone on this board is always talking about it.

And I actually prefer the OBC of Rent more than the film version.

Videos