News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Julie Andrews a guest speller

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#1Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/26/07 at 2:59pm

Julie Andrews will be a guest speller at Spelling Bee this Teusday, 1/30, which is Kids Night On Broadway. They've got to ask her to spell supercali...

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#2re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/26/07 at 3:19pm

i'll be there

qwerty2
#2re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/26/07 at 4:09pm

That is so exciting! I wish I could make it!

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#3re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/26/07 at 6:04pm

You know they are going to make her spell that haha.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

SweetQintheLights
#4re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/26/07 at 6:07pm

Paging Liotte!

Resident Spelling Bee fan. Are you going?

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#5re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/26/07 at 6:12pm

That sounds so friggin cool. I wish I could go!!

Julian2
#6re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/26/07 at 9:53pm

Put me on the list with those who wish they could be there!

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

NathanLaneStalker
#7re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/26/07 at 10:10pm

^ DITTO!

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#8re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/26/07 at 10:20pm

Me too!

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#9re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/26/07 at 10:25pm

Lucky people who get to be guest spellers with them.

E is for Emily2 Profile Photo
E is for Emily2
#10re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/27/07 at 1:14am

"Put me on the list with those who wish they could be there!"

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#11re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/27/07 at 1:58am

I'm going to try to go! I am supposed to work that night, but if I can switch days, I will be there!!! The cast is very excited about her!

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#12re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/27/07 at 12:32pm

I need to be there! I have to rework my schedule but its so worth it! Julie Andrews+ Spelling Bee= PERFECTION!!

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#13re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/27/07 at 12:38pm

Shoot! I wish I could go to this, but i have rehearsal for Zanna, Don't! on Tuesday night. Oh well.

Stitch_Stalker Profile Photo
Stitch_Stalker
#14re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/27/07 at 1:12pm

Anyone know if this is entirely sold out yet? I would totally skip school to drive down to NYC for this...

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#15re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/27/07 at 1:15pm

There are no seats left according to Telecharge.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#16re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/27/07 at 1:22pm

that is so cool. I cannot wait to hear some of the things they say about her when she goes up to spell.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#17re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/30/07 at 1:41pm

I got a SRO ticket for tonight! Very excited.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#18re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/30/07 at 2:34pm

I got my ticket!! So excited!!

donna_darko_23
#19re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/30/07 at 2:35pm

That's exciting...can't wait to about how it was!

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#20re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/30/07 at 11:42pm

Well, they did ask her to spell it...

and she got it wrong! re: Julie Andrews a guest speller It was so sad.

She got as far as supercalifragilisticexp..then said A instead of I.

I mean it's a long word and harder to verbalize, you know? It was sad though. I wanted to see her jump during Pandemonium.

Anyway, she sat in the second row of the "stands" in like left-center if you're facing the audience. When they told her to come up, she got a standing ovation!

And yeah, we were eating up every little movement she made. She sat in the front of their stands, between Sarah and Jared. Now there's a fun Broadway debut story...sitting next to Julie Andrews.

She intensely listened when Sarah sang about Olive being pro-choice but being a virgin, nodded and kind of mouthed along the "gin" part of it. It was very funny.

When she was called up to spell, Lisa said something like many girls gave up their hope of starring in their school's musical when they found out Ms. Andrews was transferring to their school or something.

They defined super...as...some really great, ecstatic feeling...in other words.

The sentence was something like bipolar Mary flunctuated between feeling supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and eh.

So she asked them if they wanted her to spell it forwards or backwards. The principle said he was afraid she'd ask that. We cheered a lot, but then...yeah.

Emma got one word and did the bouncing, but then was out.

When the show was over and the cast finished taking their bows, they invite Julie and Emma up to the "stage" and as soon as she went up Julie said for the record supercali...is a very long word but she can say it "backwards" and repeated the "backwardsness" (because of course it's not completely backwards) of the phrase in the movie, but still very very awesome to hear her say that in person. She and Emma gave a great speech thanking the amazing cast and us for coming for Kids night, how these are the future theatregoers, how hopefully tonight was the beginning (or continuation) of a lifetime of seeing theatre.

Honestly, the kid audience really did not bother me much. The only real time was a huge wrapper noise during the I Love You Song. There was a lot of movement...and well I guess it's an easier show to talk during so that wasn't annoying...just there was a lot of movement, often a parent taking a child to the bathroom I imagine. I've honestly been in much worse audiences--where kids weren't even the problem.

All in all, it was a great performance and everyone involved--audience and cast--seemed to be having a wonderful time.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#21re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/30/07 at 11:50pm

There was a cast tonight? I didn't notice them!

FallintoLight Profile Photo
FallintoLight
#22re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/31/07 at 12:19am

I'm with you Liotte. My focus was mostly on her reactions to the show. What an honor to have the opportunity to see her!

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#23re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/31/07 at 1:26am

Dociousaliexpisticfragicalirupus.

Not that I have the entire movie memorized or anything...

I would have killed to be there tonight; I worshipped Julie Andrews as a child. But I couldn't figure out which individuals' deaths I would have benefitted from to make that happen.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

galindagirl2 Profile Photo
galindagirl2
#24re: Julie Andrews a guest speller
Posted: 1/31/07 at 1:38am

Oh! How I wish I could be there! I'm going to throw myself down and cry... re: Julie Andrews a guest speller

Videos