my trip to NY

BDavis0092
#1my trip to NY
Posted: 2/1/07 at 8:42pm

This will be my second visit to the great city of New York. On my first visit I saw Drowsy and The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. I loved BOTH shows. I am going back March 30th and returning April 4th. My school is during Les Mis this semester and I was cast as Jean Valjean so I plan on seeing Les Mis again (I saw the national tour a few years ago). And I'd love to see Drowsy again as well as Wicked (I saw the national tour version as well and loved it.) I was just wondering if there were any other new shows that are worth seeing. I saw Drowsy during the previews when nobody really knew much about it and I loved the fact that it I got to see it when it was really unheard of and now it is a huge show. Any shows like that currently on Broadway? What are some shows worth seeing this year?

www.youtube.com/BwayNY225
Updated On: 2/1/07 at 08:42 PM

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#2re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/1/07 at 8:57pm

SPRING AWAKENING.

COOOOLkid
#2re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/1/07 at 9:03pm

casted

Did you just say that?

Oh, and go see The Grey Gardens!!!

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

FutureElphie Profile Photo
FutureElphie
#3re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/1/07 at 9:05pm

I second Grey gardens and Spring Awakening! both wonderful =D

-I couldn't help it Janet! She was just like you, only french... ~Robert-The Drowsy Chaperone~

#4re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/1/07 at 9:45pm

BDavis said:

"I was casted as Jean Valjean"

Did it hurt?

BDavis0092
#5re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/1/07 at 9:45pm

Yes I did. Sorry typing is completely different than writing and I don't exactly proof everything I type. How about Mary Poppins? Is that any good? Spring Awakening seems like a good show.

snl89
#6re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/1/07 at 10:27pm

once again... SPRING AWAKENING re: my trip to NY

do it. go. seriously.

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

BDavis0092
#7re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/1/07 at 11:02pm

So Les Mis, Drowsy, Wicked and Spring Awakening? Thanks guys. I cannot wait.

Also, will Foster and Martin still be apart of Drowsy when I'll be up there? They were so good and I'd hate to miss them.

Updated On: 2/1/07 at 11:02 PM

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#8re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/1/07 at 11:06pm

"Also, will Foster and Martin still be apart of Drowsy when I'll be up there? They were so good and I'd hate to miss them."

Yes.

BDavis0092
#9re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/4/07 at 12:21am

Good. I would be a little hesitant about seeing Drowsy without them. I may see A Chorus Line as well just because I love the movie and I love all the dancing.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#10re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/4/07 at 12:27am

I'd say skip Wicked, and see SA and Grey Gardens. Company is a good choice if you like Sondheim.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#11re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/4/07 at 2:35am

I would skip "Le Miz" and "Wicked" since you already saw them. (That's what I would do) I suggest "Grey Gardens" (Which I have not seen but it is high on my list to see) and "Spring Awakening". (That, I did see when it was at The Atlantic) Great show! I also agree with "Company". I will see it on my next trip to NYC, but I love the music. I also like to catch some things off Broadway. High on my list for my next visit are "In The Heights" and "No Child".

Just give the world Love.

TWSFan4Ever Profile Photo
TWSFan4Ever
#12re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/4/07 at 8:40am

Mary Poppins!

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#13re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/4/07 at 10:05am

If you don't get to NY too often, I'd stay away from seeing something you've already seen. New York theater is amazing, see something new. Broadway or off.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#14re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/4/07 at 10:17am

Mary Poppins

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#15re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/4/07 at 11:36am

>"Also, will Foster and Martin still be apart of Drowsy when I'll be up there? They were so good and I'd hate to miss them."

Yes.<

Not necessarily. Check the theatre news sites before you come for updates. I think Becoz may have given you bad advice.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#16re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/4/07 at 1:18pm

Bob Martin is going to be in London doing Drowsy Chaperone this summer, and Sutton Foster is going to be doing Young Frankenstein in the fall. I'm not sure when either leaves, but probably sometime within the next few months.

Have you seen Hairspray? That was a fun show and most likely easy to get tickets to.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

gymdudeva
#17re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/4/07 at 2:01pm

If you like the movie of A Chorus Line, and the dancing, then you would probably REALLY enjoy seeing it done *right* on stage. It's old hat for some of us oldsters, but for a young person who only knows the movie, it could be thrilling.

For something fun and light, Hairspray.

How old are you? Spring Awakening is amazing, but a bit unusual and I'd hesitate to recommend it outright without knowing more about your age, maturity level and tastes. I haven't seen Grey Gardens, but I think the same would apply.

You sound like you are serious about theatre and will likely be in many amateur/college productions. In that vein, you may want to check out The Fantasticks off-Broadway. (Don't put it at the top of your list, but if you hve an extra slot...). Chances are you will be involved in a production of it at some point. :)

kate2
#18re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/4/07 at 2:37pm

Skip Mary Poppins. I saw it last night and was pretty disappointed.

neddyfrank2
#19re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/4/07 at 2:39pm

Grey Gardens

BDavis0092
#20re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/4/07 at 11:01pm

I am going to see Les Mis because my school is doing it this semester and I'd love to see it again before we perform. I am going to see wicked because my stepsister is taking her two girls to go see it and my parents just have to buy one ticket for me and if I went to see something else they would have to buy tickets for them. I'm 17 years old but would have to see Spring Awakening with my parents which might be a little awekard??? Hairspray sounds fun. My director told me about a show off-broadway called Forbidden Broadway. Has anyone seen that?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#21re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/5/07 at 1:10am

*paging Corine2*

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#22re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/5/07 at 1:16am

I'm 17 years old but would have to see Spring Awakening with my parents which might be a little awekard???

Only as okkwurd as yer spellin'!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

BDavis0092
#23re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/5/07 at 8:06pm

You guys are a little obsessed with the spelling aren't you?

Anyways, I am going to have to get most of these tickets from the TKTS booths. So this question is for the New Yorkers who get tickets from there often...are any of the above shows available there?

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#24re: my trip to NY
Posted: 2/5/07 at 8:13pm

I really think you'd like Hairspray. Mary Poppins is also a good choice.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Videos