pixeltracker

Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar

Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar

MargoChanning
#1Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 6:02pm

From Liz Smith:

"THE RAINBOW Room celebrated a real star last week when event planner Preston Bailey tossed a party for his new book, "Inspirations." His friend of years Jennifer Holliday came to lend support - and to sing as only she can.

Jennifer was the original "Effie" of Broadway's hit musical "Dreamgirls." And, yes, she blasted out "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" for Preston's guests, just as she did when she won the Tony Award 25 years ago.

She told the partygoers she is rooting for Jennifer Hudson, today's big-screen "Effie," to win an Academy Award, just as she has already won the Golden Globes and the Screen Actors Guild awards.

When the movie of "Dreamgirls" opened weeks ago, Holliday says, "What I thought would be a dreadful experience has turned into a blessing. People are rediscovering the wonderful music and my part in bringing it to life. I'm so happy to have created something that has moved into a new century. And, thanks to people watching my version of 'Dreamgirls' clips on YouTube, I have hope."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02042007/gossip/liz/a_fine_old_time_for_first_lady_liz_liz_smith.htm

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#2re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 6:02pm

*coughCRAZYcough*

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#2re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 6:03pm

Rooting for Ms. Hudson and yet making it all about her...

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#3re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 6:04pm

She and Smokey Robinson should get married.

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#4re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 6:07pm

Clearly, her prescription has finally been filled.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#5re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 6:09pm

Hey, at least she now seems to understands what legacy means, that she is ultimately a big part of the Dreamgirls legacy, and that there's enough room for two Effies in the world.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#6re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 6:14pm

Amen, ray.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

Mattbrain
#7re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 6:26pm

I honestly could not be happier that she has come to her senses.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

ABoyLikeThat
#8re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 6:35pm

She's still crazy...and entertaining.

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#9re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 6:55pm

And crazy.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

WalkOn
#10re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 8:01pm

Good for Holliday!!!

A little graciousness goes a long way. I love Holliday... she will always be the standard by which all other Effies are compared.

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart; and you'll never walk alone.
Updated On: 2/5/07 at 08:01 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#11re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 8:01pm

Has she come to her senses or has her PR Manager?

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#12re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 8:39pm

While I'm still not so sure she's being genuine, at least her PR people have finally talked some sense into her.

Glad to hear she's staying positive.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

thevolleyballer
#13re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 8:54pm

Well, she's come to senses with the fact that Hudson is a fantastic Effie, but she's still just as self-absorbed as ever.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#14re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 9:13pm

Something tells me she put the clip on youtube.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#15re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 9:38pm

Wow. Mentioning YouTube in a favorable light.

I like this lady.

Why is everyone calling her crazy?

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#16re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 9:40pm

There's actually a person named Preston Bailey?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Parks
#17re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 9:40pm

Oh my goodness! She mentioned the forbidden site!

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#18re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 9:45pm

I actually respect the fact that she's changed her mine. Didn't she say that she did her own management, she was her own agent, and did her own PR? I remember reading something to that effect in another thread.
Either way, if she says something bad about the film she gets bashed, if she says something good she gets bashed. She can't win.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#19re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 9:47pm

I hope she truly is okay with passing the Effie crown to Hudson. I mean, seriously, to cling that desperately to something that happened twenty-five years ago...

Trekkie2
#20re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 9:54pm

Ray, it's not that she bashed the movie, it's how she said that she had hoped to be offered a role that she played 25 years ago. That is what makes me think she's koo-koo for coco puffs.

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#21re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 9:57pm

And I am telling you she's off her rocker.

But hey, its sweet that she supports J-Hud!

Perhaps she is changing...

*Please pardon the puns...*

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore

soulman83
#22re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 10:10pm

I feel like people took her saying that she hoped to play the role the wrong way. i never got the feeling that she meant to play the role at the present time but at a time before when she was younger and could have very well played the part in a movie version. Who wouldnt want to recreate that magic? get over it. The woman is a fierce living legend and i am glad she is being supportive. It was nothing personal towards hudson in the first place.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#23re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 10:19pm

Maybe she thinks if she smiles enough they'll just skip Hudson and give her the oscar...

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

11/11/05
#24re: Holliday is Rooting for Hudson to Win Oscar
Posted: 2/5/07 at 11:45pm

It's been reported on another message board that Entertainment Tonight recently did a brief segment on Jennifer Holliday at the event Liz Smith was talking about.

The BIG news is that ET reported that Jennifer Holliday will be attending the Oscars!!!

This has lead to some speculation regarding the specifics of her invitation...will she be in the audience rooting on Jennifer Hudson....or do the producers have a "surprise" up their sleeve....a stage appearance by Ms. Holliday to introduce Jennifer's performance of the nominated song "I Love You I Do"? Or perhaps there will be an OBC Dreamgirl reunion onstage to introduce Jennifer Hudson, Beyonce and Anika in a melody of their nominated songs?
Updated On: 2/5/07 at 11:45 PM

Videos