pixeltracker

Lea's "I Dreamed A Dream"- Page 3

Lea's "I Dreamed A Dream"

KQuill Profile Photo
KQuill
#50re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/7/07 at 10:34am

Actually they lowered it by a whole step. I think that it's ridiculous to get hung up on what key someone is singing in. We are all born with different ranges, and its dumb to try to make Daphne sing it in a certain key just because that was what was most comfortable for Patti Lupone in 1985.

This is one step up from people who say "oh yeah? well I can hit a Z#!!!"

I am curious if they will change it back for Lea. I don't see why not.

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#51re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/7/07 at 3:28pm

I think Lea's delivery was entirely appropriate for a TV variety show setting. I particularly love her lower voice - very rich and warm. Before I saw Daphne in the revival I always thought of this as a song of heartbreak not of anger. I think that Daphne took the hard-edged reading that suits her voice and Lea MAY take the heartbreak reading which suits her voice. You can like one or the other but the fact that they are very different doesn't have to mean one of them is wrong.

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#52re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/7/07 at 4:40pm

Les Miz began it's Fantine casting with mezzo sopranos (Randy Graff, Patti LuPone) and then switched to sopranos (Ruthie Henshall, Alice Ripley). I personally like mezzos singing the role because the notes are in a place on the scale that calls for a richer timbre. Most of the sopranos singing the role, can barely hit the low note (but the tiger's come at night...)
I'm glad a mezzo like Lea is stepping into the role because she will have no problems with the low notes. But, that's a personal choice. To those that don't like Lea, c'est la vie...they don't have to see the show, right?

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley
Updated On: 2/7/07 at 04:40 PM

bella cantato
#53re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/7/07 at 5:19pm

It's super weird to hear her singing it, since I am so used to hearing her sing Eponine's role...

"You know, a little orphan girl once told me that the sun would come out tomorrow. Her adopted father was a powerful billionaire, so I supressed the urge to laugh in her face. But now, by gum, I think she might have been on to something!" --Reefer Madness

eb412
#54re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/7/07 at 6:42pm

i bet daphne acted it better than Lea does here. Lea by far has the a voice better suited of the show but she focuses too much on her voice here in the clip theres no grit to it...it almost doesnt match the song.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#55re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/7/07 at 7:02pm

OH FOR GOD'S SAKES SHE'S NOT EVEN ON STAGE IT'S A FRICKIN' TALK SHOW BEFORE SHE'S EVEN REHEARSED THE DAMN ROLE

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#56re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/7/07 at 7:07pm

You beat me, Lizzie.
Shucks that Lea wasn't in costume and the stage in that variety show wasn't rotating. Or, was it???? I thought I saw the barricade behind her.

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

javertjunky Profile Photo
javertjunky
#57re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/7/07 at 7:46pm

I am so excited to see Lea as fantine. this clip nakes me want to see her even more now!!!

"Men like me can never change, Men like you can never change. No, 24601. My duty's to the law - you have no Rights. Come with me 24601. Now the wheel has turned around, Jean Valjean is nothing now. Dare you talk to me of crime, And the price you had to pay. Every man is born in sin. Every man must choose his way. You know nothing of Javert. I was born inside a jail, I was born with s like you, I am from the gutter too!" ~Javert

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#58re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/7/07 at 7:49pm

Javert, are you ACTUALLY seeing Lea as Fantine?

If so... LET ME GO!

...please?

*edit*
Oooh look! I'm a "Featured Actor" now...

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore
Updated On: 2/7/07 at 07:49 PM

NiteOwl Profile Photo
NiteOwl
#59re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/7/07 at 8:52pm

LizzieCurry you officially have a new fan!

"OH FOR GOD'S SAKES SHE'S NOT EVEN ON STAGE IT'S A FRICKIN' TALK SHOW BEFORE SHE'S EVEN REHEARSED THE DAMN ROLE"

^^ I couldn't have said it better myself.
Posters on this board really need to get a grip and put things into perspective before they post.

"I'm only 17 and am running on 6 cups of coffee so, forgive me if things that I post seem spastic." ~ Elphaba 43
Updated On: 2/7/07 at 08:52 PM

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#60re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/7/07 at 9:16pm

My gosh! It's a tv show performance, not a stage performance.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

javertjunky Profile Photo
javertjunky
#61re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/7/07 at 9:22pm

O MovieGuy, yes i will be seeing Lea as Fantine and Norm still as Javert. And you will be going with me to see it. I am working on the dates right now.

"Men like me can never change, Men like you can never change. No, 24601. My duty's to the law - you have no Rights. Come with me 24601. Now the wheel has turned around, Jean Valjean is nothing now. Dare you talk to me of crime, And the price you had to pay. Every man is born in sin. Every man must choose his way. You know nothing of Javert. I was born inside a jail, I was born with s like you, I am from the gutter too!" ~Javert

alexg456
#62re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/8/07 at 12:52am

After seeing Lea perfoming this, it feels like "help is on the way." The time is coming when a raspy, screechy "voice" of Daphne (yuck, yuck, yuck) is to be replaced by a clear, clean, beautiful voice of Lea Salonga. Oh, and Lea looks really great -- seems like she is getting even more beautiful with age.

Now, if only she could bring a couple extra violinists with her to replace some "missing teeth" in Les Miz currently depleted orchestra. Updated On: 2/8/07 at 12:52 AM

COOOOLkid
#63re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/8/07 at 1:04am

Gosh, I just love her "As they turn your dream to shame"

Pure heaven! re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

Colle
#64re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/8/07 at 3:34pm

More thoughts on this, Lea can sing "grity" when she wants/needs to. Has anyone seen Lea, on her Broadway concert DVD, sing "As Long as He Needs Me?"

This comes down to personal taste. I perfer Fantine have to a basically pretty voice(even if it is not realistic) for IDAD, with a mix of saddness and a little anger in emotion. It is easier, for me, to get into the emotion of the song if the Fantine's voice is on the pretty side. That is why I like Ruthie Henshall better than Randy Graff, for example.

I think Lea is off to a good start If I could nitpick about anything, she could put a little more power in her voice near the end of the song.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#65re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/8/07 at 5:45pm

Anything is better than Daphne.

And Lea is the best of the best, so YAY.

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#66re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/8/07 at 6:02pm

No one is ever good enough for you people.

chino Profile Photo
chino
#67re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/8/07 at 6:48pm

I agree with you LittleFish8386.

augustine73 Profile Photo
augustine73
#68re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/8/07 at 7:05pm

that was good considering that it was a performance from a tv talk show...

why can't we just all wait and see lea in costume... sing, act and perform the role?