pixeltracker

Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?

Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#1Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 10:03am

February 9, 2007 -- SAN FRANCISCO - Just as Elle Woods shakes up the hallowed halls of Harvard Law, so, too, the big new musical about her Ivy League adventures is rat tling Broadway.

Omigod, you guys - "Legally Blonde" is a contender.

The $13 million musical about a seemingly ditzy blonde who becomes a crackerjack law student opened Tuesday to unexpected rave reviews - unexpected because, frankly, the theater industry hasn't thrilled to the prospect of yet another musical fashioned from a movie.

On the heels of "The Wedding Singer" and "High Fidelity," "Legally Blonde," which opens in New York in April, seemed more of the same, especially when stacked against "Spring Awakening," a genuinely original musical that's captured the industry's imagination.

But on the West Coast, critics and audiences have found "Legally Blonde" - bright, peppy and relentlessly pink - irresistible.

"Feminism gets a coat of bright pink paint in 'Legally Blonde,' a smart, sparkling homage to girl power," said the Contra Costa Times.

"A splashy crowd-pleaser that could prove grumble-proof" in New York, said Variety.

The San Francisco Chronicle called the show "a buoyant blend of comic invention, captivating performances, bright design and knock-'em-dead dance numbers."

"Legally Blonde" stars Laura Bell Bundy in the role made famous in the movie by Reese Witherspoon.

It must have been daunting to follow in Witherspoon's footsteps. Her performance in the film was compared to Judy Holliday's in "Born Yesterday."

But Bundy, who's played Glinda in "Wicked," has pulled it off, and could emerge as the closest thing that "Grey Gardens" star Christine Ebersole has in the way of Tony competition.

Read on...

Blonded By Delight

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 2/9/07 at 10:03 AM

Yankeefan007
#2re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 10:08am

Bundy may pose stiff competition, but Ebersole wins no matter what.

massofmen
#2re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 10:15am

i dunno. It was a magic moment in tony history when Marisa Jaret won the tony over bernadette peters. Anyone with a brain would think that Tracy Turnblad would beat out mamma rose. (this post is DOUSED with sarcasm)

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#3re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 10:18am

Marisa winning over Bernadette was a travesty (totally threadjacking, but it had to be said).

timote316
#4re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 10:21am

I don't take that comment as its going to be Bundy vs. Ebersole. It seems to me that Riedel is just saying Bundy will be a distant second.

HumATune Profile Photo
HumATune
#5re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 10:22am

Interesting that they're thinking of cutting/changing "There! Right There!". Honestly if San Francisco audiences aren't offended by it, I don't think it needs to be cut. It’s one of the highlights of the show, so they’ve got to replace it with something fabulous if it goes. I wonder which of the younger cast members are unhappy with it.

I wonder if Ofreh’s part is going to be pared down, since they’re talking of cutting down the Riversdance portion of “Legally Blonde Remix”. If so that’s too bad, but while her character’s a crowd pleaser, you can’t really cut down Callahan, Warner, or Vivienne (not that there’s much to cut for Vivienne or Warner for that matter). Some of the stuff with the Delta Nus might go as well.

shesamarshmallow
#6re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 10:26am

Bundy now has a great chance at a nom and being distant second (and she works her ass off for it). But Ebersole wins or I revolt.
I'll also revolt if they cut "There! Right There!" It's freaking genius.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

Fenchurch
#7re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 10:38am

Sorry, no tears for Bernadette's loss, she can't sing.

"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." -Keen on Kean
"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." - muscle23ftl

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#8re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 10:42am

Of course Ebersole wins. In a year with a performance like her's,
just being nominated is the honor.

....but the world goes 'round

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#9re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 10:44am

I'm just beyond thrilled that Laura Bell looks to be in the running for a nomination in a very very tough leading actress tony year.

As far as "there! right there!", being young and liberal, the problem i had with the number wasn't the material, i wasn't offended at all, but that it seemed to stick out so sorely from the style of all the other music in the show, which was noted in a review or two also. I of course, would hate to see it cut since its so hilarious, but i think it could stand some changes to make it more cohesive with the rest of the sound of the show.

That said, i still beyond loved the show, and hope its even better once it gets to bway!

"...and in a bed."

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#10re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 10:49am

something in me said this show was gonna be good. Riedel just made me very excited

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#11re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 10:56am

Let's face it--the reason Bernadette didn't win the Tony was that she just wasn't a good Rose.

Laura Bell Bundy might pull off a surprising good performance in a surprisingly good show, but Ebersole is giving a legendary performance. I'd keep my money on Ebersole.

JumpJumpJumpSoHigh Profile Photo
JumpJumpJumpSoHigh
#12re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 10:58am

I love "There! Right There!" and lordy I hope it doesn't get cut. But I kind of agree about the Riverdance spoof -- although not for the same reasons. I think Paulette deserves the stage time, but not IN THE MIDDLE OF "Legally Blonde Remix," where so much is already happening. To my mind, they're treating her as just what Reidel said: a secondary character, whose big turnaround to happily-ever-after deserves nothing more than a few lines and a dance number in someone else's song. Considering she had her own entire song to set up the Ireland thing, she deserves at LEAST her own scene (even a small one) to discover Kyle's middle name and confess her love for the Irish to him.

That said, I was still really amused by them all striking the "Lord of the Dance" pose....

~JJJ

Dear Ken, I'm in pieces. Why the cold shoulder? Love, Barbie

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#13re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 11:06am

hmm...very interesting. makes me happy though.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#14re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 11:10am

Lets not turn this thread into a Bernadette vs. Marissa hijacking please - I'm so over it.

Riedel loves pretty blondes - he also championed Christina Applegate as a true threat to win the Tony. Harmless crushes - but they mean nothing.

If anything, I bet the runner up in the musical race will be Donna Murphy in LoveMusik.

thevolleyballer
#15re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 11:35am

I'm definitely hoping that they won't cut "There! Right There!" That song is fabulous (no pun intended), and honestly, it's a crucial part of the movie. I understand if they changed the song's premise to "Gay or Straight?", as opposed to European, since that would obviously rid it of the offensives.

As for cuts, I would suggest cutting the Karl rap of "What You Want", and perhaps some of "Take It Like A Man" (or all of it -- I'm not a fan of the song). Otherwise, everything seems pretty crucial.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#16re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 11:36am

If you put Bundy into the mix, who gets knocked off the bottom? Audra, Chenoweth, Murphy, or Monk?

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#17re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 11:38am

Cheno or Murphy.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

thevolleyballer
#18re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 11:56am

I say Monk. The others are the clear stars of their respective shows (with the exception of Murphy, of which I'm not sure since I haven't quite seen LoveMusik...), but Monk isn't. "Curtains" is more of an ensemble piece with her playing a role with the same weight as Ziemba or Paice (maybe just slightly larger).

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#19re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 12:03pm

Perhaps we have found a winner for Best Director and Best Choreographer, but my prediction of a Ebersole win isn't chaning. Ebersole gives a performances that will be LEGENDARY. As talented as Ms. Bundy is, when you're up against a performance as good as Angela Lansbury in Sweeney Todd or Merman in Gypsy, you don't win.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#20re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 12:06pm

Sorry, no tears for Bernadette's loss, she can't sing.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

moljul Profile Photo
moljul
#21re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 12:44pm

"As talented as Ms. Bundy is, when you're up against a performance as good as Angela Lansbury in Sweeney Todd or Merman in Gypsy, you don't win."

Well Merman didn't win for Gypsy so you never know.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#22re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 12:55pm

re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?

Yay for LEGALLY BLONDE. re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?

Yay for LBB. re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

SayitSomehow
#23re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 1:06pm

Isn't it speculated that Stephanie J. Block will be a distant 2nd as well?

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#24re: Riedel weighs in on BLONDE, and Bundy vs. Ebersole?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 1:11pm

Where did you hear that?

I seriously doubt it.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Videos