pixeltracker

GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?

GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?

BROADWAYFAN3
#1GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 8:23am

Going to London for the 1st time. any recomendations on reasonable hotels near the west end. any other advice

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#2re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 10:52am

There are thousands of hotels in London - you don't need to be near the West End. If you don't want to pay too much check the Earl's Court area in Kensington which is full of smaller hotels - 2 or 3 star places most of them. It's six subway stops from Piccadilly Circus.

But remember the exchange rate. One pound is worth two dollars so you need to mentally double the price on everything.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#2re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 10:55am

http://roomsnet.com/london_hotels/usa/

I got a great rate for The Strand Palace Hotel - which is in the heart of the West End and covenient to a few tube stations

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#3re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 10:59am

I know the Strand Palace and it's a good choice - very convenient for Evita!

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

MimiJudith Profile Photo
MimiJudith
#4re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 11:07am

The problem with the Strand Palace is that it has no air conditioning, so you can sweat in your room especially in the summer. I do not recommend that hotel. It is centrally located, but you will not be happy with the hot rooms or lack of security in the lobby.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#5re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 11:14am

It depends what room you get as to whether or not you have air condition. But yes, clearly it can be hot (and many hotels don't have air, not just the Strand). I don't remember any issues with security either in the lobby or in the hotel in general.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

MimiJudith Profile Photo
MimiJudith
#6re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 11:19am

I just mentioned the lack of security at the Strand Palace because you can walk into the hotel and directly into the elevators without passing the front desk, which is way past the elevators. And there are no hotel employees there to stop you so anyone can walk in at any time.

IssaMe
#7re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 11:21am

I live in London and always put guests in the Strand Palace when they are looking for a bargain in a central location to theater (my guest room is now an office, so the Strand Palace is a convenient alternative).

If they can afford more, quite a bit more - the Savoy (directly across from the Stand Palace - riverview, please) or if they can afford a LOT, my favorite hotel in all of London, the small boutique Covent Garden (but you need big, big bucks and an "in" to get in).

The a/c is a bit of a problem at the Strand Palace, but the bigger rooms (and you should go for a bigger room - the small ones are quite cramped) have windows and a breeze.

Unfortunately, the wonderful special club floor with all kinds of perks along with your room there has basically been turned into a business conference area and that is a loss.

Also, be sure that if you are bothered by cigarette smoke that you make VERY clear that you MUST be in a non-smoking area. Also, the street side on the Strand can be very noisy with the traffic when your windows are open (or even closed), so if traffic noise bothers you, you might want an inner courtyard room instead.

I've never heard of any security problems in the lobby...it is a tourist hotel (lots of group tours from the Continent stay there and lots of sports fans)... and so there is LOTS of foot-traffic in the lobby at almost all times so it is not like you are in an isolated or deserted area.

The breakfasts (including with room packages) are WONDERFUL buffets and not your typical hideous "English breakfast".

Nobody I have ever put in the Strand Palace has ever complained about it. And that includes lots of actors.

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#8re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 11:21am

We went to London for week this past May and stayed at the New Linden Hotel in Kensington, just a couple blocks from Kensington Park. It was a random interent find, but I couldn't recommend the area more. It was stylish, clean, and near several tube stations. I honestly don't remember if the hotel had air conditioning. It was cloudy and rainy almost all the time, and we wouldn't have needed it.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#9re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 12:05pm

I stayed in the La Meridian (right near Picadilly) when I was in London. It was very nice, but remember that hotel rooms are usually smaller than here in the US.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#10re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 1:10pm

If you don't mind sharing a bathroom, I always stay at the Lynton House Hotel in Ebury Street. It's 2 1/2 blocks from Victoria Station, and it's walking distance to Harrod's, Buckingham Palace and the Victoria and Albert Museum. It's L50 a night if you share the bathroom, and L100 if it's en suite. It's clean, Simon and Mark are very nice hosts, it's secure and quiet, and the breakfast is outstanding.

You go to Victoria to grab the tube to Embankment, change to Leicester Square and you're in the West End.

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#11re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 1:24pm

The Park Lane on Picadilly is quite nice, centrally located and while it can be pricey, you can also get some deals there. It is right across from Green Park, near the Green Park stop on the Picadilly line. In one direction you are only a few stops from Harrod's, in the other direction you are only a few stops from the West End. And if the weather is nice you can skip the tube and walk. The rooms are small but comfortable, the bathrooms are luxurious and the staff is friendly.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Incognito
#12re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 3:52pm

I often use The Strand Palace Hotel and have never had any problems. It's a great situation, Covent Garden is just behind and it's central for lots of theatres. Lack of air conditioning presents no problem really, as Summer is usually about five days here, and there's no guarantee they'll all come together either. One sunny day in May, ditto June, July, August and Septemberre: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?

http://www.strandpalacehotel.co.uk/

Life is...just a bowl of cherries...

kec Profile Photo
kec
#13re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 4:18pm

I useually use London Hotel Reservations.com or www.londontown.com when looking for hotels in London. Some of their rates are fairly reasonable.

If you want to stay near Liecester Square, there are two fairly reasonably priced (for London) hotels very close. Both are part of the Thistle chain. The Thistle Picadilly, which is situated right across from the Swiss Building at the entrance to the northern end of Liecester Square. if you have a room that overlooks the square, though, it can be pretty noisy. The Thistle Trafalgar Square is down the street, behind the National Gallery, and is much quieter.
London Hotel Reservations

InTheKnow2
#14re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 4:30pm

The Covent Garden Hotel is by far my favorite.
It it a little costly but well worth it.

If you want something more affordable, look at all the bed and breakfasts around Earl's Court. Very friendly neighborhood.

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#15re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 4:46pm

I stayed at the Comfort Inn Kensington Hotel in Earls Court. Nothing fancy. A small tourist class hotel. It was a short walk to the underground station. You could easily get to shows.

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#16re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 5:40pm

I went to London this past October and stayed in Hotel Russell in Russell Square. The tube is right there, but we walked anywhere. It's a nice, clean hotel. I can't remember if there was A/C, but I believe there was. It was also a lot of money, but everything is in London....except theater. Theater is actually cheaper for Londoners than it is here with the exchange rate. It ends up costing us about the same as it does to see something in New York. BTW, don't waste alot of money on going to restaurants. It's supposedly getting better, but it's a rare find to get something worth your money.

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#17re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 8:17pm

When my mum was over visiting, I took her to stay at The Cumberland at Marble Arch (been there since 1929, now it's been given another name I believe Le Meridian, Marble Arch.) ANYWAY, they used to lock the doors to all entrances but the front one (to keep the streetwalkers out) after 8pm. So every night, when we came back, my mom would head for the side entrance and I would say, "Mom, it's locked, remember?" On the fourth night, she made for the side door and two hookers who were lolling about said "No, mum, the doors are locked, remember?"

Room: One hunderd pounds per night (back then). West End theatre tickets: 49 nounds 50 pence. Watching your mom get instructions from London streetwalkers? Priceless.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699
Updated On: 3/1/07 at 08:17 PM

Gothampc
#18re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 8:57pm

I also have stayed at the Strand Palace. The location is excellent, excellent, excellent. Covent Garden is in the hotel's backyard. Easy walk to all theaters. Plus it's close to three tube lines that can get you anywhere in the city. The other thing I like about it is that it has something like 700 rooms. When I get off the plane at 7am and am jetlagged, I have never had to wait for a room at the Strand. The only downside I've found is that the cheaper rooms are tiny, but when I'm in London, I only use the room to sleep and shower.

I've also stayed at the Hotel Russell. It has nice rooms and the Russell Tube Stop is a 30 second walk. Plus it has a nice park directly across the street. The area it is in is much quieter and less touristy.

PS: While you're there, take one of the London Walks tours. They are great. (The Jack the Ripper night tour with Donald Rumbelow is great).
http://www.walks.com/

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 3/1/07 at 08:57 PM

NJgirl
#19re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 9:04pm

I also stayed at the Hotel Russell in Russell Square when I visited. Nice, clean, and I felt safe tourist class hotel (we were 3 college aged girls traveling, btw). The tube is max 2 blocks. There were a few pubs and we found a convenience/grocery store too there.
Maybe you can also try the London forum on TripAdvisor.com? They have some great advice there from the locals...

actor
#20re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 9:06pm

If you want to go all out, I suggest the Dorchester.

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#21re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 10:27pm

Other advice: Sadly, the theatre museum is closed, but even if you don't see a show there, do go into the lobby of the Theatre Royal Drury Lane. There are statues of Shakespeare and Noel Coward there. Make sure you go into the St. Paul Actor's Church in Covent Garden. The pillars which face the Opera House are the pillars where Eliza Doolittle meets Henry Higgins in Pygmalion and My Fair Lady. Do go into the church.
There are plaques to all the great British actors and the ashes of Ellen Terry, Edith Evans and Michael Redgrave are interred near the altar. Playwright Oliver Goldsmith is buried in the small churchyard, but I haven't seen his grave.

Also, make sure you have lunch at the Crypt in St. Martin in the Fields, near the National Portrait Gallery. It's kind of neat to have lunch with the dead. Don't miss the Victoria and Albert Museum. It's one great, world-class museum. You might also want to see the Princess Diana Fountain in Hyde Park, the Peter Pan Statue across the road in Kensington Gardens and pay close attention to those blue plaques where famous people lived. Don't miss the hike up to the top of or the Crypt at St. Paul's, and Westminister Abbey. If it's going on, the tour of the Globe Theatre is pretty interesting, too. You probably won't see a show there, but the tour, which includes a visit to the site of the Rose is cool.

If you're a Beatles fan, take the train up to St. John's Wood. You walk three blocks north and you're at Abbey Road. The Road itself is very busy, but it's cool to see where the boys walked across it, and the white building is the actual Abbey Road Studios.

Don't miss the Tower of London either, but get there early! As you can tell, I love London.

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan
Updated On: 3/1/07 at 10:27 PM

GoSmileLaughCryClap Profile Photo
GoSmileLaughCryClap
#22re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 10:47pm

This place is great.

bwaydoc Profile Photo
bwaydoc
#23re: GOING TO LONDON IN JUNE ----HOTEL?
Posted: 3/1/07 at 10:49pm

I was in London this past December and stayed at The Mayfair near the Green park underground station. I thought the location was decent, a short walk to Leicester Square and readily accessible by underground to many places. The hotel was a little pricey, but the rooms were incredibly nice and actually larger than most hotels rooms you get here in the states. I would definitely stay there again if I went back.

I wish I could go back to college. Life was so simple back then. - Kate Monster.

"Who here feels like they have no idea what they're doing?" - George, Grey's Anatomy

GoSmileLaughCryClap Profile Photo
GoSmileLaughCryClap

Videos