Sondheim's Catchiest Score?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 1:44pm

Sondheim's music is always accused of being boring and having no melody. But what do you think is his catchiest score?

I say MERRILY, it's obviously his one score that comes closest to pop music. It's upbeat, it's catchy, it's melodic, and moving. Definitely his catchiest score in my eyes. For me personally, FOLLIES would follow. Some might not find FOLLIES catchy, but the pastiche of the score is irresistible.

Opinions?

gazdemon
#2re: Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 1:47pm

My favourite is 'Assassins', it just gets stuck in my head. Especially 'Everybody's got the right'!

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#2re: Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 1:47pm

I would definitely agree with Merrily

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

Yankeefan007
#3re: Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 1:48pm

I don't think any of his individual scores are catchy. There are plenty of catchy songs, though.

Amongst the standouts are Worst Pies in London, Little Priest, Company, Another Hundred People, Side By Side By Side, Lucy and Jessie, I'm Still Here, Broadway Baby, Everybody's Got the Right, Unworthy of Your Love....
Updated On: 3/11/07 at 01:48 PM

Mattbrain
#4re: Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 1:52pm

His scores are not meant to be catchy. They are supposed to be stirring, moving, and thought-provoking.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#5re: Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 1:56pm

I think Funny Thing...Forum has a pretty catchy score.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!

raphael06 Profile Photo
raphael06
#6re: Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 1:59pm

Once I start an Into the Woods song I cannot stop.

"I chose and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not."-Sunday in the Park with George

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#7re: Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 2:01pm

His scores are not meant to be catchy.

- I don't think when Sondheim writes a score - he says "Okay! I can't make this score catchy!"

Moving and stirring scores can also be catchy.

I commend Sondheim for exploring pop melodies in MERRILY.

#8Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 2:04pm

Oddly enough, Company's opening number.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#9re: Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 2:05pm

Mattbrain-that was a pretty ignorant "theatre snob" comment. As ljay said, do you think that Sonhdeim sits at his piano and says to himself "Okay, how can I make this score unappealing to the ears and different?" More than half of the score of Follies is extremely melodic, with numerous songs being "catchy".

I would say that Merrily... is probably his most "melodic" score; for some reason I find myself humming "Opening Doors" all the time. But I will say that once I listen to "A Weekend in the Country" that's all I will be singing for at least a week.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Julian2
#10Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 2:05pm

I've always thought it was A Little Night Music, although, I haven't heard Follies or Merrily yet.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!
Updated On: 3/11/07 at 02:05 PM

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#11Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 2:07pm

Julian2-Go. Out. Buy. Follies. And. Merrily. Now.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#12Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 2:11pm

Scores can be wonderful and catchy. Just because something is catchy doesn't mean it is bad.

Into The Woods and parts of Company are pretty catchy. I haven't heard much of Merrily yet.

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#13Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 2:17pm

Catchy?, Best? or most critically acclaimed?

"Life is a lesson in humility"

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#14Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 2:24pm

I never really think of his music as "catchy", but I would have to agree that Merrily would be the catchiest.

Just give the world Love.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#15Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 2:30pm

Catchy?, Best? or most critically acclaimed?

- Catchy. Hummable. Melodic.

Not best or most acclaimed. I wouldn't have said MERRILY if that was the case.

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#16Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 2:30pm

I would have said Sweeney Todd six months ago but it is definitely Company for me at the moment. At first it was "Sorry/Grateful" but since the cast performance at Barnes & Noble I am constantly humming "Marry Me a Little" with bits of "Someone is Waiting" thrown in. But I haven't heard MERRILY yet either.

husk_charmer
#17Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 2:34pm

For me it's either "Into the Woods" or "Merrily"

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

rosekwbp Profile Photo
rosekwbp
#18Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 2:35pm

Forum or Into The Woods.

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#19Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 2:42pm

In the words of Merrily...

"You need a tune you can hum, you need a tune that goes bum-bum-bum-de-dum, give me a tune that goes bum-bum-bum-de-dum, give me a melody!"

...great. Now I'll never get "Who Wants to Live in new Yokr" out of my head.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#20Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 2:58pm

Saturday Night is most definitely the most catchy/accessible of a score in total.

Merrily would be second.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#21Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 3:27pm

'Company' for me. 'Sweeney Todd' and 'Assassins' have their moments, but I can have pretty much the entire score of 'Company' going round and around and around and around and around in my head at various intervals. Just TRY getting 'You Could Drive A Person Crazy' out of your head!

Conversely, I've never found any part of 'Into The Woods' especially catchy. I guess it's all a personal taste thing. As with just about everything else. ^_^

ElFantasma14 Profile Photo
ElFantasma14
#22Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 3:34pm

I definately agree with Company, mostly because it's very beat oriented, almost like how marching band music would be. It's extremely syncopated, which is why it's easy to get caught in your head; not too many tempo changes, like in his more ambitious pieces llike Sweeney Todd.

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#23Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 3:35pm

i think comedy tonight it very catchy, IMO.
agreed to follies also.

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#24Sondheim's Catchiest Score?
Posted: 3/11/07 at 3:38pm

Technically Dick Tracy I suppose. If that doesn't count the no doubt - Merrily.
Then Bounce.
Then Into The Woods.

I have always thought that Pacific Overtures and Night Music are his least catchy.

But I love all Sondheim. Except Frogs. Can not get into Frogs at all.

....but the world goes 'round

Videos