pixeltracker

Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony

Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#1Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 5:57pm

Have not seen Curtains or Pirate Queen yet but of those I have seen these are my favorites

Spring Awakening
Mary Poppins
Fame Becomes Me
Grey Gardens
Hi Fi

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 3/16/07 at 05:57 PM

vmlinnie
#2re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 6:07pm

As the only one I've seen, i can only say that the others would have to be good to beat Mary Poppins. I haven't seen it in NY though, only London.

The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 6:13pm

Nice to see Sushi Sam getting into the St Pat's Day spirit

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 3/16/07 at 06:13 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#3re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 6:18pm

SPRING AWAKENING

I've also seen PIRATE QUEEN, CURTAINS, GREY GARDENS, HIGH FIDELITY, MARY POPPINS, and MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME.

Hopefully I will also see LOVEMUSIK, LEGALLY BLONDE, (and 110 IN THE SHADE, even though its a revival).

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Updated On: 3/16/07 at 06:18 PM

shesamarshmallow
#4re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 6:21pm

I've seen everything but The Times, Pirate Queen, Mary Poppins and Lovemusik.

I want noms for Grey Gardens, Curtains & Legally Blonde.
And I want Grey Gardens to take it.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#5re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 6:22pm

I think curtains

I thought the pirate queen was fantastic. Grey gardens is moving but not my favorite but up there. I didn't really like spring awakening but i can see why others did. I loved Mary Poppins.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#6re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 6:35pm

I doubt GREY GARDENS will take it.

Here is why:

Last year, GREY GARDEN was up for the Best Musical award at the Drama Desks. It lost and DROWSY CHAPERONE won. At the Tony's DROWSY CHAPERONE lost and JERSEY BOYS won. To me, this puts GREY GARDENS behind two of last year's musicals. I didn't feel JERSEY BOYS was all that strong. So, to me, GREY GARDENS cannot be seen as very strong.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#7re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 7:00pm

Agree

If GG does not get it, believe me when I say it will not be GWB's fault

Poster Emeritus

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#8re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 7:02pm

I've seen GREY GARDENS (twice), FAME BECOMES ME (once), and CURTAINS (about to see it for a second time).

If I had a vote, it would be cast for CURTAINS.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#9re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 7:05pm

Spring Awakening gets my vote, without a doubt.

It's Best Revival that I'm more conflicted about. I feel like Company is the only one (that has yet opened) that has done anything at all to advance or change the original, but Sweeney just worked so much better for me (and STILL lost, sadly) that... I don't know.

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

educator06 Profile Photo
educator06
#10re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 7:05pm

Spring Awakening will win best musical IMO.

Johnnytoc
#11re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 7:11pm

I'd say Curtains.

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#12re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony

I've seen practically all those that have already opened and, as of now, I would say:

Grey Gardens should win.

Spring Awakening will win.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#13re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony

After I see Curtains & Pirate Queen, I can than make a final decision

They will have to go some to beat SA. Right now, it looks like GG will only pick up a Tony for Ebersol

Poster Emeritus

skingdom
#14re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 7:38pm

Gardens which are Grey
followed by
Awakening in the Sprintime
and then of course
POPPINS

GreenGirl22406 Profile Photo
GreenGirl22406
#15re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 7:40pm

Grey Gardens and Spring Awakening

Definately the popular choices

"In the rain, the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
In the darkness, the trees are full of starlight
And all I see is him and me forever and forever."

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#16re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 7:40pm

If GG does not win but Ebersole gets the nod, the fate of the whole show will depend on how long she stays. Once she leaves, the problems will start than

Poster Emeritus

ashley0139
#17re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 7:47pm

I thought Grey Gardens was brilliant and was disappointed with Spring Awakening. I truly believe GG is a much better show. It moved me way more than SA did.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife
Updated On: 3/16/07 at 07:47 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#18re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 8:15pm

Grey Gardens is going to make a pretty cleans sweep in the acting categories, Mr. Roxy. Mary Louise Wilson seems like a frontrunner for Featured Actress, as she should be. She has a very strong chance for a win. John McMartin, a veteran actor who has beens snubbed many times in the past, notably for Follies in 1971, really should take the prize for this part of Major Bouvier. He's quite a hoot and deserves a little consolation prize for the travesty that was not winning for Follies so many years ago.
Korie and Frankel also have quite a strong chance in the category of Best Score. The music of Spring Awakening, while exiting I guess (I find it bland) has very subpar lyrics. Mr. Frankel's music for Gardens is spectacular are is Mr. Korie's lyrics. He proves himself an adept lyricist with a comic sensibility as well as a strong dramatic one. Their only compeition I can think of so far is Kander and Ebb.
Grey Gardens also has a chance in Best Musical. We haven't seen everything yet, but it has more of a chance than Spring Awakening.
I hope that Grey Gardens makes a clean sweep. It deserves to. Next to Follies at Encores! it was the most thrilling show I have seen all season.

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#19re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 8:16pm

Since I haven't seen Curtains yet, I'm going to say Spring Awakening. I really hope it wins.

singingshowgirl Profile Photo
singingshowgirl
#20re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 8:17pm

i want Grey Gardens to win!!!

i have seen Spring Awakening and Mary Poppins as well, but Grey Gardens is my favorite of those 3. I guess Curtains would get the 4th nomination?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#21re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 8:19pm

While we liked GG, we are not that overly ecstatic over it as some are. We liked SA & Poppins better but agree with the acting in Gardens getting Tonys

Poster Emeritus

Trekkie2
#22re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 8:22pm

Am I the only one who thinks SA DESERVES to win?

"I think of avant-garde as downtown shows where you rub waffles and chocolate on yourself."- Hunter Bell

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#23re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 8:26pm

I hope Grey Gardens sweeps.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#24re: Your Personal favorite For Best Musical Tony
Posted: 3/16/07 at 8:27pm

Curtains as of now, but I'll wait to cast my final vote until after I've seen LoveMusik.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Videos