Drowsy Chaperone Lotto

Eponine Profile Photo
Eponine
#1Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/3/07 at 6:28pm

I want to catch Drowsy before Sutton Foster and Jonathan Crombie leave...what are my chances with the lotto? or TKTS? or should I just play it safe and get the discounted $85 orch tickets?

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#2re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/3/07 at 6:38pm

I won both times I tried. That was about a year ago, and then a few months ago. I think it's one of the less busy lottos, and maybe I was just lucky. There may be more people who want to catch Sutton Foster etc, before they leave, which could make it a little busier. I'd say it's worth a shot to try the lotto though.

Eponine Profile Photo
Eponine
#2re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/3/07 at 6:39pm

Thanks for the input.
how many lott tickets are there?

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#3re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/3/07 at 6:43pm

I can't remember, but I'd say at least 24 or so.

MillieDillmount Profile Photo
MillieDillmount
#4re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/3/07 at 7:09pm

I tried it last July, well my friend and dad did (I was still getting ready, haha) But anyways, dad said that there was about 30 people there.

If I remember correctly there are 25 tickets, so up to 25 people can win, but when your name is drawn you can choose to take one or two tickets. So, if everyone who wins takes two tickets then there will be less winners.

Yea, I probably confused you, but it works something like that.

You are lucky that you can go see Drowsy again before Sutton leaves! I want to really bad, but I live in Maine, so I can't go to NYC like within the next two weeks. GRR! Oh well, I'm really excited to see Sutton in Young Frankenstein.

And who is going to be the new Man in Chair, when is Jon getting done?

~Darci

azeller Profile Photo
azeller
#5re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/3/07 at 7:20pm

I was there on Sunday and lost for the first time (I've won 5 other times.) There are 22 front row seats but each name drawn has the chance to buy 2 tickets.

"Let's admit one thing right upfront: With the possible exception of Bernadette Peters, not everyone stays young and cute forever." (NYPost 2/2/05)

beyondblessed Profile Photo
beyondblessed
#6re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/3/07 at 9:04pm

Do the Lotto, I lost it once, and then like two days later I won. If it's your only shot before Sutton leaves you can always run over to TKTS after the lotto if you loose. The Marquis is like around the corner from TKTS.

Going to a musical late in its run is like going to a prostitute late in her shift.

theminutepast
#7re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/3/07 at 10:47pm

I did it three times and won the third time. Try to avoid going Friday or Saturday.

broadwayjim42
#8re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:08am

Is the same guy with the British accent doing the lottery? He did the same thing for "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" and was actually in the ensemble of that show.

Anyone know his name?

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#9re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:15am

broadwayjim, stephen is gone!! it's a new lotto person at drowsy.

i went last thursday, and i think 1/3 of the crowd won tickets. but i think this week and next week...is spring break for many high schools, so lottos will definitely be more crowded.

good luck!

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#10re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:33am

I'm pretty sure Stephen was gona last time I walked by the DROWSY lotto.

DROWSY's gotten a lot less crowded than it used to be. In its prime, it was virtually impossible to win (not like our favorite Blonde and Green witches, but), now everyone who enters has a pretty good chance.

Good Luck, having your name called out from a lotto guy is the greatest feeling ever.

Well... maybe not, but its still awesome to win.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#11re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:34am

Alsooooo,
I believe the guy was Stephen Campanella.

broadwayjim42
#12re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:34am

ok, then what WAS his name...besides Stephen I mean.:)

I kept looking him up in the Dirty playbill and the picture matched the Stephen you mentioned (Campanella?). Hopefully, he's moved on to bigger and better things.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#13re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/4/07 at 11:01am

Bigger and better...

the WICKED lotto!

JUST kidding :)

broadwayjim42
#14re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/4/07 at 1:08pm

I always wanted to say hi and say I remembered him from "Dirty"--alas and alack, I will no longer have the chance....

BROADWAYFAN3
#15re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/4/07 at 1:14pm

I'd buy the discount tix to make sure

Juhgail
#16re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/4/07 at 1:14pm

um......

what lotto are you talking about????????

They give away Drowsey tickets every day???

HUH???

Do all shows do this?

Thanks

broadwayjim42
#17re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/4/07 at 1:21pm

read the whole thread...the show offers a lottery 90 minutes before every performance for 20-something first row seats. You fill in a form with your name and how many tickets you need (1 or 2) and an hour before the show begins, they pull the names. If you win, your ticket costs $25 (cash only).

Rent, Tarzan, Avenue Q, Spelling Bee, Hairspray and Wicked have similar lotteries, although the number of seats and ticket prices differ from show to show

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#18re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/4/07 at 2:21pm

^No lotto at Tarzan. Student rush.

broadwayjim42
#19re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/4/07 at 2:25pm

Oops...thought at one point they had one. My bad.

otis33 Profile Photo
otis33
#20re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/4/07 at 3:11pm

Just a heads up - had brunch with a friend today who is in the show - Sutton is sick at the moment. She was out last night and will probably be out today. Just in case you were trying to go today.

She also mentioned that John Glover is in rehearsal, and is different than Bob Martin, but is hilarious and charming and is going to be brilliant.

Eponine Profile Photo
Eponine
#21re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:58pm

Thanks for the heads up..

Okay, sorry to be a nag, but I want to make sure my trek from Jersey is fruitful!

If I lose the lottery, do I have time to go to the TKTS booth (I believe it's at the marquis, around the same place as the theater?)and get a ticket there?

I haven't decided on this Sat. or next Thursday. Three exams next week!

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#22re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/5/07 at 8:56am

Stephen was gone last time I went. re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#23re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/5/07 at 10:39am

The lotto attracts a pretty big crowd. Your chances of winning are better than Wicked, but not guaranteed. Maybe you can buy the orchestra seats, and sell them if you win the lotto. Someone will want them (hopefully).

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Eponine Profile Photo
Eponine
#24re: Drowsy Chaperone Lotto
Posted: 4/8/07 at 5:04pm

So...If anyone was wondering...I caved and bought tickets off of ebay (they were really cheap!)

I think if I like the show, I'll try the lotto.

Videos