Idle wondering - opera glasses

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#1Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/12/07 at 1:37pm

My sister finds it unlikely and hilarious that I, a 24 year old girl, actually own my own pair of opera glasses that I take to the theatre with me instead of just hiring a cheap pair when I get there. So help me prove a point - how many of you have your own opera glasses, and what age/gender are you? ^_^

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#2re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/12/07 at 1:46pm

I'm 26 and I have a really cute pair I keep in my purse. You know... for theatrical emergencies. They get laughs sometimes. I don't care, when I'm in the last row at Studio 54, I need those glasses.

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight

Jon
#2re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/12/07 at 2:06pm

I am a middle-aged man, and I have a small pair of binoculars that I bring whenever I'm seated in the mezzanine or rear of the orchestra.

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#3re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/12/07 at 2:27pm

I am what is politely referred to as a woman of a certain age, and I have had opera glasses since college. I was a rabid ballet fan back then, and my parents gave me a pair of nice, compact opera glasses in a leather case. Still use them everywhere.

If you have mother-of-pearl opera glasses on a lorngette (sp?) that might be funny but otherwise - very useful.

Jilani
#4re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/12/07 at 2:57pm

What kind of store would one go to in order to buy a basic, non-fussy-looking pair of opera glasses? I looked around online, and a lot of them have this faux-antique look, which is not at all what I would be going for!

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#5re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/12/07 at 2:59pm

I got mine online... they're just... like baby little binoculars only they're maroon. And metal. But not shiny or anything. I don't know where you'd randomly pick some up though I assume that they'd sell them at the Met. opera store?

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight

SorryGrateful
#6re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/12/07 at 2:59pm

I desperately need opera glasses considering the seats that I'm able to afford. I imagine I could check eBay?...

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#7re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/12/07 at 3:04pm

My parents got me some for Christmas once, but I know you can pick 'em up at the Lincoln Center. I don't see why they wouldn't be on eBay. Hell, the National here in the UK sells cheap pairs for £3.50 (approx. $7). ^_^

Moosegear.com has some nifty-looking pairs that don't scream "I'm VINTAGE! That makes me CLASSY!". More small binoculars, some of 'em. You could also maybe check out binocular shops? ^_^

Updated On: 4/12/07 at 03:04 PM

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#8re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/12/07 at 3:11pm

I am 22 (soon to be 23) and I have a pair of mother of pearl inlaid opera glasses that I almost never use. I bought them at a second hand store specifically for the opera, but I find that I'd rather see the whole picture on stage than a limted (albeit slightly larger) view.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#9re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/12/07 at 3:53pm

I have a small pair of binoculars. They're black, probabably 5 inches long. I've used them twice, because most times I get score great seats through rush that don't need them.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#10re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/12/07 at 4:21pm

male 30 and i would love a pair, i swiped one of those cheap london ones that you rent for 50p or something, but they are really bad and give me double vision, lol.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#11re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/12/07 at 5:49pm

Mine are cute red binoculars, I think they are officially for bird watching, but the lenses are tinted red to help collect light in the dark. Very handy in the theater...esp. at the ballet when I'm in the 4th ring at the State Theater :)

I think I remember Sharper Image having some sporty binoculars, not opera glasses per se.

**edited to add: I'm a middle 20's girl**
Here's a cute pair Updated On: 4/12/07 at 05:49 PM

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#12re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/12/07 at 5:58pm

I'm a teenager and I have some, you have to when you sit in the last row at City Center Encores.

thenewmoon
#13re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/12/07 at 6:08pm

I have mini plastic binoculars from the Hollywood Bowl; ironically, now that they have projection-screens there one doesn't need them to see the performances. But I always bring them to Broadway shows, even if I'm sitting midway and can see faces. I always want to check out costume details, for instance. They are suitably dorky-looking but they work and cost like $4.
This reminds me, when I just saw the Virgina Woolf tour here in LA and was sitting in the second row, the man next to me watched the entire play through opera glasses! Maybe if one can't see ten feet ahead without binoculars, an audio guide is in order?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#14re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/12/07 at 6:14pm

Weird story: Last week, I saw The Accomplices at the Acorn Theatre at Theatre Row. It's a tiny theatre, and I was sitting in the front row, where the stage is at eye level and literally a foot in front of you. The lady sitting next to me, who couldn't have been more than 40 years old, was using opera glasses. I know some people have poor eyesight, but that seemed a little excessive to me.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

keen on kean
#15re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/12/07 at 6:20pm

You might try Amazon.com. Or Sharper Image. Any store that sells cameras or electronic stuff will generally carry some compact light-weight binoculars. I wouldn't suggest the MET gift shop unless you are a Guild member and will get 10% off retail prices.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#16re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/12/07 at 6:23pm

Just to jack my own thread, keen on kean; is your username anything to do with Edmund Kean, or someone else entirely? Just I saw a play about him last night and it was rather good and now has me wondering. ^_^

#17re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/12/07 at 6:33pm

I have a really nice little pair--black and gold that even have a funny little embroidered case--they were given to me by my late Grandma when I was a teen (I'm a mid 20s male for the record since we all seem to be sharing stats but I guess people guessed that from my photo) when I went to see the Kirov ballet do Sleeping Beauty with her (my idea of Heaven--wow that was back when they were still called the Kirov so I musta been a very young teen)

Now that I sound queenier than ever I oddly never get laughs from friends when I rbing them--my friend I went to San Fran to see Madonna with last Spring used them more than I did--and I have another friend who always asks me to make sure to bring them whenever we go to any kinda concert together--so I use them for everything not just theatre.

I never knew you could rent them at the theatre? Is that a British thing? (i lived a great year in London in 1999 after High School but my main fascination with British customs at the theatre was that you coudl bring little tubs of icecream in with you :P )

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#18re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/12/07 at 7:35pm

Sixteen year old female, borrow my grandma's binoculars (from her opera seson ticket days) when I can...

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

keen on kean
#19re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/12/07 at 8:34pm

Hey, Weez - my user name is actually a tribute to the late Alfred Drake who played the title role in a musical called Kean, based on Edmund Kean's life. Drake was a real spell-binder with a beautiful speaking and singing voice. Which play did you see?

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#20re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/13/07 at 1:21pm

I think the play is what the musical was based on; it's called 'Kean', it started off as an Alexandre Dumas play, but then Sartre updated it a bit, and it's currently doing a pre-West End run before moving into the Apollo on Shaftesbury Avenue. So I guess it kinda is Edmund Kean. :3 Would you recommend the cast recording? I was thinking of purchasing it a little while ago but couldn't quite decide.

EricMontreal: I think they have it at most West End theatres; little plastic red ones strapped to the seats in front of you. Stick 50p in the slot, and they're yours for the evening. I don't remember the last time I used 'em though, so I couldn't say if they're any good or not. But it's fun enough that they're there. :3

Updated On: 4/13/07 at 01:21 PM

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#21re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/13/07 at 1:41pm

I use a pair of fold-up outdoor binoculars that fit in my jacket.

<-- late 40s here

KEAN's ORC was lavishly produced (I have it on reel to reel) and the score has some real gems. And Alfred Drake (sigh).

http://docandraider.com

Sleeth1 Profile Photo
Sleeth1
#22re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/13/07 at 1:58pm

20, and I have TWO pairs! One is a pair of "opera glasses" that are quite nice. The OTHER pair is a pair of binoculars that'll show you the hair on their arms! Whoever I'm with, we trade off every 10 minutes or so. Of course I'd RATHER be so close that I don't need them (which is the case for most local theatre). In heaven I'll get to see everything front row! LOL Then I'll probably complain about being too close!! CAN you EVERY be too close?

BroadwayAbridged Profile Photo
BroadwayAbridged
#23re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/13/07 at 3:32pm

I have 2 pairs of those small square black binoculars I bought during a Sharper Image sale. I'm wishing I had bought more at the time; it would be a good gift.

I bought it more for Rear Mezzanine musicals than for Opera so I can see faces, but I tend to forget to bring them with me. I wish there was something that could help remind me.

Like promised nudity.

- Gil http://www.broadwayabridged.com

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#24re: Idle wondering - opera glasses
Posted: 4/13/07 at 3:41pm

I want to get some, just so I can tell everyone that I own opera glasses.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015