#75re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 3:47pm

Now this is how it should be.

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#76re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 3:54pm

"Shocked Spring Awakening did not get lighting (maybe they were drunk)"
^ Yea, I thought that would be an obvious nomination. Guess not.

Why wasn't Grey Gardens nominated for anything?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#77re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 3:55pm

GREY GARDENS was eligible last year.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#78re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 3:57pm

GG and Little Dog Laughed were eligible last year.

By the way, it appears that Tarzan's decision to wait until this year to enter the DD ring payed off in spades!

PEACE.

Wanna Be A Foster
#79re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 4:01pm

I have a feeling that LOVEMUSIK is going to win the Tony Award for Best Book, and possibly Best Orchestrations.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

MungoGypsy8232
#80re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 4:03pm

So surprised about Les Mis and The Apple Tree being nominated, but not A Chorus Line, but happy with the featured actress nominations for a musical, despite the lack of any Fame Becomes Me women. As for featured actors, I'm happy that Brooks Ashmanskas and Christian Borle is on here, though is he considered leading or featured by the Tony Awards? I'm glad Debra and Gavin are featured because their parts are featured. Congrates again to Ashley Brown and the Spring Awakening trio!

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#81re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 4:05pm

Haha, so true Sueleen. I am sorry WestVillage, but I have to disagree. LoveMusik did not deserve the nomination for choreography. I have a feeling LoveMusik is only going to win 2 or 3 of those awards. Also, did anyone else notice that Eve Best is the only actress from a Broadway play nominated in the leading category. I wonder if this is any indication that she will win the Tony. Although, Redgrave was nominated for solo performance.
Updated On: 4/26/07 at 04:05 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#82re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 4:05pm

I see another Drama Desk for Fred Ebb (and Kander and Holmes). Anyone else?

Wanna Be A Foster
#83re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 4:06pm

Christian Borle hasn't been ruled one way or another yet. Since he's below the title, as of right now he is Featured, but the producers might petition otherwise.

-Kad

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#84re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 4:09pm

"I see another Drama Desk for Fred Ebb (and Kander and Holmes). Anyone else?"

For lyrics!!??? Absolutely not. Either Lin-Manuel for In the Heights or Shaiman/Wittman for Martin Short. Stop the Show's lyrics are enough to win them that award, plus the rest of the lyrics are hysterical. The only award Curtains might win will be in the featured actress category.

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#85re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 4:10pm

I do not think LoveMusik deserved all of those nominations. The only really good things about the show where Cerveris, David Pittu, and the lighting design. Then again, I saw the first preview, and I don't know how much has changed since then.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#86re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 4:11pm

Foster, have you seen Lovemusik since the changes have been put in? I though one complaint most people had about the book was that there was too much unnecessary material.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#87re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 4:13pm

I am surprised that none of the actresses in The Coast of Utopia got a nomination for Best Actress - I thought both Jennifer Ehle and Amy Irving were wonderful. Glad to see the music from Utopia got a nod - it is so evocative.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#88re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 4:18pm

Amy Irving is definitely featured, but I have a feeling that the Drama Desk committee labeled Jennifer as leading (which is the way OCC did it as well). Since the leading category is so crowded, I have a feeling Jennifer was overlooked. But Jennifer will be considered featured at the Tonys, and she will be nominated. James, I agree that the only technical award LoveMusik should even think they can get is lighting. The set is really not that impressive, nor are the costumes. Nothing special. My guess is costumes will go to Catherine Zuber again for Coast of Utopia. That girl is going to have so many awards for Lincoln Center theatre!

Wanna Be A Foster
#89re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 4:20pm

bjh2114, I absolutely agree that FAME BECOMES ME deserves Lyrics. SPRING AWAKENING, in my opinion, deserves Music.

I don't forsee Kander, Ebb, and Co. winning any awards for this score.

wonderfulwizard11, I haven't seen LOVEMUSIK since the changes have been put in. I only saw the first preview. But with all of the Drama Desk nods that the show received, if the Tony response is similar, I have a feeling that the voters will feel obligated to give the show something. I don't personally feel that LOVEMUSIK has the Best Book nor the Best Orchestrations, but I feel as though those are the only two awards up for grabs that this show could pick up.

-Kad

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#90re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 4:21pm

Gotcha.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#91re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 4:25pm

Foster, we are on the same page about both music and lyrics. I would agree that Orchestrations is one of the few awards LoveMusik has the potential to pick up, but I really wonder if that award might go to Mary-Mitchell Campbell for Company. Afterall, this is the woman who arranged "Drive a Person Crazy" for saxophones, lol. And like I said above, I would be a very happy person if Gutenberg picked up Best Book! Have you seen it? If not, it's definitely worth seeing...SO FUNNY!
Updated On: 4/26/07 at 04:25 PM

Mike3 Profile Photo
Mike3
#92re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 4:38pm

James2 - you took the words right out of my mouth. Twelve nominations? Twelve??

I too saw the first preview and have not seen it since. I have a hard time imagining this show has improved that much in less than two weeks!

RockabyeHamlet
#93re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 4:57pm

Do I need to say it?

Ah, what the heck I'll say it anyways...

YEEEEEESSSSSSS!!! I Love the LoveMusik Love!! (what?)
Looks likes its going to be a amazing season:)

Btw: What drugs were the nominating commitee taking when they snubbed ACL?

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

JumpJumpJumpSoHigh Profile Photo
JumpJumpJumpSoHigh
#94re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 5:03pm

I hope that the producers of Blonde don't petition for Borle to be considered as a leading actor for the Tonys. As a featured actor, he might actually have a chance to win -- but against the likes of David Hyde Pierce? Michael Cerveris? RAUL ESPARZA? Highly doubtful.

~JJJ

Dear Ken, I'm in pieces. Why the cold shoulder? Love, Barbie

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#95re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 5:07pm

I just wish High Fidelity could've gotten a set design nod. Bitch about the show all you want, but that set was badass.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#96re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 5:07pm

Off the topic, but the correct spelling is perceive not percieve
(i before e except after c)

Other words where e comes before i are either, neither, leisure, foreign, heifer, seized, weird, protein, heights

I learned that from a friend in high school and have never forgotten it. Sorry to interrupt the flow of ideas.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

Wanna Be A Foster
#97re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 5:12pm

That was the point, Gypsy. He's always correcting everyone's spelling and grammar, and I had used the word deceive (spelled correctly) in a conversation with someone else, and he interrupted to "correct" me, when in fact he was *gasp* wrong.

-Kad

MerMaggieGalinda
#98re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 5:19pm

I may get flamed for this, but I'm glad Aaron Lazar was nominated, even though he probably won't win, but it's nice to see him nominated for something.

istillbelieve24601 Profile Photo
istillbelieve24601
#99re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 5:28pm

Yay Aaron Lazar!

I'm a fangirl and I know it, but I really loved his Enjolras and I'm so glad the Drama Desk critics saw what I saw in his Enjolras. I was afraid they were going to nominate Alexander Gemignani (who was miscast) or Norm Lewis (who sucked) just because they were dare.

But Les Mis getting a revival nom? WTF?? It's more of a return engagement.

Cosette: Roses are red. Marius: Violets are blue. Eponine: You're so in love! Marius: And so not with you.