News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?

Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?

NathanLaneStalker
#1Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/29/07 at 11:12am

Just wondering what you think. Since the show got mixed reviews, do you think it has a chance at Best Revival at the Tonys this year? Or any Tonys for that matter?

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

RentBoy86
#2re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/29/07 at 11:14am

Um...no. I mean it did okay at the box office, but I think it was, for the most part, forgettable. Considering no one has nominated it for anything, I think it's almost like it didn't even happen.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#2re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/29/07 at 11:54am

Sure, it has a chance, as do all shows on Broadway that open during the respected time frame.

I was so, so, so disappointed in the play. Even the talented Nathan couldn't rise above the material. It's just a bad show to begin with.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#3re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/29/07 at 11:56am

No chance.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#4re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/29/07 at 12:35pm

It's only chance at a nomination is a Featured Actress nod for Dana Ivey. She is a Tony favorite, and a 4-time past nominee. Her last nomination was for THE RIVALS, which had been long closed by the time nominations came out -- just like BUTLEY, so you never know. I thought she gave a phenomenal performance in an otherwise awful production. Lane doesn't have a shot in hell. No shot at a Best Revival nod either, obviously. I'm crossing my fingers for Ivey, though.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Mattbrain
#5re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/29/07 at 12:38pm

Rentboy86, I even forgot that this production existed!

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#6re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/29/07 at 12:41pm

I thought it was last season.

But no, Butley really has no chance.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#7re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/29/07 at 12:43pm

I'd like to see Ivey nominated (she was the only part of this production that was remotely enjoyable), but I think the Featured Actress category is too crowded for her to recognized.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#8re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/29/07 at 1:01pm

I SAW it and even I forgot it existed.

I actually despise Lane, but I really thought his performance here was something special, and am saddened that it hasn't gotten any recognition.

Dollypop
#9re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/29/07 at 1:17pm

I saw the production and completely forgot about it 10 minutes later.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

BroadwayBound86 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound86
#10re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/29/07 at 3:50pm

I saw this production once....didn't like it. It just wasn't my cup of tea. I don't think it has a chance. The only thing I remember most from it was that the winner from Beuty and the Geek season 1 was sitting a few seats down from us.

NathanLaneStalker
#11re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/29/07 at 8:11pm

I loved it. I knew I was going to love it when I went in. I mean, I've always liked Butley, I've always liked Nathan Lane, and I've always liked Dana Ivey.

I thought Nathan's performance was great. He worked his ass off and was believable in the role.

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#12re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/29/07 at 8:21pm

I was one of the few people who loved this show as well, but I agree that Dana Ivey is the only chance at BUTLEY getting a Tony nomination...and I hope she gets the nom.

nathanlaneismyhero Profile Photo
nathanlaneismyhero
#13re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/29/07 at 8:23pm

I think that the show was great. Nathan did a fantastic job with the material. I know that Nathan got a mention for the Drama Desk Awards, but as for the Tony's, I'm not sure. I would love to see Nathan or Dana nominated, but none of us know what will happen.

Hold me touch me, Hold me touch me... Kiss me feel me, Yank me spank me, Suck me fu... ah! Hold me touch me!

Dollypop
#14re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/29/07 at 9:37pm

Dana Ivey is a fine actress but she was woefully miscast in a role that called for a flibbitygibbet needed for comic relief.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#15re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/29/07 at 9:49pm

I honestly found Butley to be an amusing night out. It wasn't great, but Nathan Lane gave a professional performance and Dana Ivey was quite good. But honestly, I think it has a slim chance at any nomination.

Wanna Be A Foster
#16re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/29/07 at 10:05pm

I loved it. I knew I was going to love it when I went in.

Yeah, the moment you stepped into the theatre and the house manager immediately called for increased security, there was no doubt it was going to be a special night. re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

wexy
#17re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/29/07 at 10:06pm

No.

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

NathanLaneStalker
#18re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/29/07 at 11:54pm

"Yeah, the moment you stepped into the theatre and the house manager immediately called for increased security, there was no doubt it was going to be a special night."

Indeed they did. re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#19re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/30/07 at 12:56am

Hey, MiracleElixir, while I wouldn't go so far as to say that I despise Lane, I'm not a great fan of his and I thought he gave the best performance I've ever seen from him in Butley.

I thought Dana Ivey was just awful, but otherwise the production was well-acted.

But it doesn't have a chance at the Tonys.

I fear that the negative reaction to Lane's performance has convinced him that he should never again try to give a low-key, focused, centered performance.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#20re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/30/07 at 8:19am

I saw it, and would say not much of a chance.....

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#21re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/30/07 at 12:30pm

Unlike the Oscars, where awards like the Golden Globes are considered a predictor of things to come, the preliminary awards for theater are typically not predictors of how the Tony nominations will go. Having said that, the problem for Butley will be that although in previous years there have been few choices for nominations, this year, there are a lot of plays, revivals and performances to consider. Lane's performance is likely to be overshadowed by Plummer, Langella, etc.

Butley is a complex show that works on many levels and I thought this cast was much better than the cast that supported Lane in Boston. Unfortunately, I think the show may get ignored and there are a lot of people who do not know Lane for any work other than musical comedy, so it would be a shame if he decided not to plan another project that demonstrates his dramatic chops. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens with the TONYs.

"Life is a lesson in humility"

Wanna Be A Foster
#22re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/30/07 at 12:43pm

I would love to see Lane take another stab at drama. Only this time not with a British accent.

-Kad

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#23re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 4/30/07 at 12:58pm

I hope that Nathan gets a nod. In all honesty, I'm not sure if he will, but I feel he deserves it.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

NathanLaneStalker
#24re: Does Butley have a chance at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/1/07 at 5:18pm

"I would love to see Lane take another stab at drama. Only this time not with a British accent."

I agree. I would like to see him in a new show. It seems that all that he's been doing is recreating roles made famous by other people.

FORUM and The Producers - Zero Mostel (for which he won his two Tonys)
Butley - Alan Bates
The Odd Couple - Walter Matthau
The Man Who Came to Dinner - Monty Wooley

The only show I have seen him do where he was not recreating a role or playing himself recently, was Dedication or The Stuff of Dreams. And before that it was Love! Valour! Compassion! I wouldn't be surprised if they casted him in the Walter Matthau part in the new Grumpy Old Men musical or if he did a revival of The Sunshine Boys.

Now, I'm not putting him down for his recent performances. I love him in everything I have seen him in and he's an amazing actor. I just think that he should not be recreating roles as often as he does.

Sorry for my rambling. lol.

Videos