pixeltracker

Most memorable dance moments in musicals?

Most memorable dance moments in musicals?

#1Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 5:23am

I was watching some of Guys and Dolls tonight on TCM after the Brando tv special (which I found a bit too filled with stuff I already knew but worth it alone for that 2 minute clip of him and Monty Clift goofing around in home movies). Anyway to me the best aspect of the movie, is that we have much of Michael Kidd's original choreography preserved--I don't think anyone else can ever top his Craps Ballet with new choreography in my eye--just the basic poses used are SO perfect and distinctive.

So that's on my list--what other moments do you think really are a quintessential part of their musical--even now years after maybe that original choreography has been done?

Some random quick ones off the top of my head. Agnes DeMille's work in Oklahoma's dream ballet (it's great the movie kept all her choreographya dn too bad Carousel replaced most of hers and later movies like Brigadoon didn't use ANY of her apparantly remarkable dances)

Steam Heat in Pajama Game and Rich Man's Frug in Charity top my essential Fosse--impossible to improve ones though obviously he has a ton.

(from clips alone I have to include WMichael Bennett's Who's that Woman from Follies)

Anyway I'd love to read people's favorites--and if it's not from the original production than say which version

E

kec Profile Photo
kec
#2re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 5:25am

Shall We Dance from the 1980's revival of THE KING AND I. I still get goosebumps thinking about it.

#2re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 5:39am

Did they not use Jerry Robbins's choreography?

Speaking of Robbins--West Side Story is filled with great moments (one often forgotten, cuz the film dropped it, is the Somewhere ballet) but my fave for sure is Cool.

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#3re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 5:47am

Guys & Dolls London
The 'Havana' scene is still one of the BEST moments in a theatre! The choreography by Rob Ashford is just simply brilliant!

Anything Goes London
The title number is SIMPLY AMAZING!

Mary Poppins London
'Super..cious', 'Step In Time', 'Jolly Holliday' & 'Anything Can Happen' are all just amazing to watch onstage with WONDERFUL choreography!

La Cage Broadway Revival
JUST WOW!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

BroadwaySinger2
#4re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 7:04am

Guys & Dolls London
-"Sit Down You're Rocking the Boat" and the Havana scene were both breathtaking

A Chorus Line Revival
-The finale and "The Music and the Mirrors"

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#5re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 7:25am

I love the "There's Gotta Be Something Better Then This" in the Sweet Charity movie. You get all of Fosse's moves with Chita Rivera and Paula Kelly. Magic!

Dark_Angel Profile Photo
Dark_Angel
#6re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 7:57am

pick anything from 'an american in paris'.

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#7re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 8:20am

the barn scene in Seven Brides For Seven Brothers movie.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#8re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 9:20am

Guys and Dolls in London was amazing for choreography

I also have to say that Fame the musical (OLC) the choreography was mind blowing(since been watered down), i did the show for 2 years and it almost killed me.

Chorus Line as well is great and i love some of the choreography in Carrie (In is awesome)

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

OtherDaryl Profile Photo
OtherDaryl
#9re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 9:30am

The first thing that came to mind was The Tornado from The Wiz. It was my first big "Broadway" show and I always thought it was a stunning number.

After thought, Robbins' The Little House of Uncle Tom and the Fiddler dances also come to mind. You nearly never see a production of either show that doesn't at least reference the original choreography.

"Love Life. Live." Michael Bennett

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#10re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 9:34am

Singing in the Rain.

Try as you might, you can't forget it! HAHA!

Who amonmg us hasn't tried to re-create the moment anytime there's a storm cloud and an umbrella nearby???

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#11re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 9:41am

I second the Seven Brides for Seven Brothers barn-raising.

And while I know this isn't a true musical, the number in the Riverdance DVD where the American tap dancers perform with the Irish step dancers was the first thing I thought of.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#12re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 9:47am

Every moment of Michael Bennett's Ballroom.

Action2 Profile Photo
Action2
#13re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 10:52am

I loved the moment in Chita's show where she talked about all the chorographers she had worked with and the company was in silhouette behind her.

#14re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 11:00am

I adore "Singin' in the Rain" too! It's playing in my town right now, and it's so cool seeing people prancing around in real rain on a stage....cool!

And though I know it isn't much for coreography, or even dancing, the orgy scene in Pippin is quite memorable. I mean, how often do you see that sort of thing on the stage?

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#15re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 11:03am

Another came to mind: in the revival of Nine, the tango with Antonio Banderas and Chita Rivera.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#16re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 11:15am

Everything in:

Singing in the Rain
Sweet Charity
An American in Paris

I also enjoy the final performances in Center Stage.

Just give the world Love.

#17re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 5:42pm

I think some of my point is a bit missed with some of these answers (though that's not really fair of me to judge)--I mean numbers that are almost an indelible part of the imagery of a show. Like with Kidd's Crap Ballet (what a name...) nearly every production fo Guys and Dolls now, if they don't fully recreate it, take elements liek the outstretched hands positions, etc--ditto Fosse's Frug, or Robbins' Cool or even, to an extent, DeMille's Oklahoma dance where that oh so DeMille posture and ports de bras is such a part of the "look"

Paulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
#18re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 6:06pm

I actually agree with probably all of your comments, but one that always sticks in my mind as being totally incredible is Ann Miller's tap performance to 'Too Darn Hot' in the movie Kiss me Kate.

To make it even better the NFT in London showed the movie in 3D a few years ago and it was totally incredible.

PhantomPhan789 Profile Photo
PhantomPhan789
#19re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 7:36pm

"Step in Time" - Mary Poppins
"We're in the Money" & "42nd Street" - 42nd Street
"The Jellicle Ball" - Cats

"Get outta here Cheyenne Jackson!" - Mindy [title of show] show

#20re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 7:52pm

There's so much wrong with that Kate movie but that sequence (and the dancing in general) certainly isn't one of them. MAN she was something. I've always hoped somehow they could release that movie (and the same year's Hitchcock 3D--Dial M for Murder--oddly another Broadway adaptation) in their real 3D for DVD

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#21re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 7:54pm

Grand Central - NEVER GONNA DANCE

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#22re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 8:06pm

Cheesy time: Those first few beats of "42nd Street" with just the feet and then that whole opening.

I'd have to say "Chorus Line" has tons. The opening, "Music and the Mirror," and "One" just tip the iceberg.

My personal favorite though is "The Small House of Uncle Thomas."

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#23re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 8:07pm

The opening of 42nd Street.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

#24re: Most memorable dance moments in musicals?
Posted: 5/2/07 at 8:13pm

Was the feet openign for 42nd street just the revival or in the Champion original?

I always forget Robbins choreographed Kign and I--thank God his Uncle Tom was kept on film--gorgeous

E

Videos