Oliver!: Good show or bad show?

EganFan2
#1Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/22/07 at 6:53pm

What is the general feeling about the musical "Oliver!"? I know some people dislike that the "dark" aspects were taken out, but IMO there is still some darkness to it. (Nancy and Sykes, anyone?). And I know that it would be neigh impossible to put the entire novel onstage, but the book (script) was sketchy at best, unless that's by design. I don't know the production history. That's the only thing I didn't care for. It's a wonderful score.

BTW, I read somewhere once that Julie Andrews was considered for Nancy in the movie. Was that true?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#2re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/22/07 at 6:55pm

Personally, I love it and would kill for a revival.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

EdmundOG
#2re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/22/07 at 6:58pm

Bad. Oliver is the title character, and his first line of substance is like a half hour in. And he doesn't DO anything. I know that's not his fault, he's a Dickens character, but that doesn't work onstage.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#3re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/22/07 at 10:07pm

Compared to what? I'd say very good show, though I've always wondered why Oliver always speaks with such an uppercrust accent when he's spent his entire life in the workhouse. Updated On: 5/23/07 at 10:07 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#4re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/22/07 at 10:08pm

Having seen the original with Georgia Brown, I agree this needs a revival ASAP.

Great show, great show & a shame it has not been revived by now.

Poster Emeritus

ThankstoPhantom
#5re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/22/07 at 10:11pm

It's good...but not great. Nancy's story is more of the highlight for me...it breaks my heart.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
#6re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/22/07 at 10:20pm

I love the novel..
but I hate the music in the musical...

They are Dickens characters and I love Dickens characters, but musically it's not a good show at all, I think.

I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.

EganFan2
#7re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/22/07 at 10:22pm

"compared to what?"

Just in general. You know (personally) if a show is good or not when you watch it.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#8re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/22/07 at 10:23pm

The original was quite a winner, the design was first rate.
I believe it is a very good show.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#9re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/22/07 at 10:25pm

"I love the novel..
but I hate the music in the musical..."

Really? For me, the score is the only redeeming quality of the show. I've stated before I think it's an overlong show with too many songs (does Bill Sykes really need a 2 and a half minute number about how people are afraid of him?), but many good ones nonetheless. The movie's wonderful, I feel, and a complete improvement of the show. If they ever do a revival of Oliver! I hope they find some middleground between the two. Characters were more developed, story lines actually had a beginning middle and an end, and many of the unneeded songs were cut.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

neddyfrank2
#10re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/22/07 at 11:16pm

Good Show!

misschung
#11re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/22/07 at 11:22pm

For me, the score is the only redeeming quality of the show. I've stated before I think it's an overlong show with too many songs

I agree - I think if the right person did a revival, it could be really good tho

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#12re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/22/07 at 11:26pm

This show is massive here in the UK (kind a like Blood Brothers big with equally bad revivals and tours) and i have never understood why(blood brothers to)

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#13re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/22/07 at 11:29pm

I don't understand Blood Brothers appeal. It has three good melodies. That are repeated over, and over, and over, and over. I can't think of Marilyn Monroe now without remembering "He treats his ills/With daily pills/Just like Marilyn Monroe/His mind's gone dancing/It's gone dancing..." Ugh, horrible show.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

songanddanceman2
#14re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/22/07 at 11:31pm

hahaha tell me about it, i never liked it but everyone else over here in the UK loves it (just celebrated 20 years)

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#15re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/22/07 at 11:51pm

Great show!! Seeing the original Broadway production was a thrill, and it needs to be revived.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#16re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/23/07 at 12:23am

GREAT show. GREAT GREAT GREAT!

But a BRILLIANT film.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#17re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/23/07 at 8:41am

i saw the london revival one (c.1996) and was impressed, i thought it was rather dark in places, and the set was amazing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#18re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/23/07 at 9:08am

After playing Dodger for over 50 performances when I was a kid, I can honestly say I HATE HATE HATE this show! HAHA!
I still think it is too dark, slow-moving, and generally boring to watch on stage.
Aside from the musical numbers "Food Glorious Food" and "Consider Yourself" - which both occur fairly early in the show, I could not stand most of the rest of the score. It was slow and tedious until "Oom Pah Pah" at the start of Act 2, most of which is filled with Reprises!
The First Act of the show featuring THE BOYS is FAR more tolerable than the adult drama of Act 2!

The movie, however has a better pace, but is still very dark and slow moving. It did win 6 Major Academy Awards though, compared to only 3 Minor Tonys for the stage production.

To each his own, eh?

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"
Updated On: 5/23/07 at 09:08 AM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#19re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/23/07 at 9:10am

Why do people equate dark with bad?

It's realistic.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#20re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/23/07 at 9:17am

DARK = lack of proper LIGHTING in my post....not referencing a GLOOMY or DISMAL mood! Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I've never seen a production where you could actually see the characters or scenery because of over-eager lighting designers to showcase their "mood lighting" skills.
I prefer a much better lit show I guess.

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#21re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/23/07 at 10:45am

The 1996 revival ( Cam Mac) was hopelessly overproduced and lacked focus.

songanddanceman2
#22re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/23/07 at 10:47am

The 96 revival was a mess(overblown) and the touring production of it around the UK was even worse

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#23re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/23/07 at 10:54am

This was already revived on Broadway in 1984 with Patti Lupone and Ron Moody (the film's Fagin). It flopped. Even Patti got bad reviews.
That's not to say a good production couldnt sell to today's audiences.

I adore the show, the film, and I think it's a great score.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#24re: Oliver!: Good show or bad show?
Posted: 5/23/07 at 10:57am

Great show...and even better film.

Shani Wallis is marvelous.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Videos