Xanadu RUSH Tix???

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 5/29/07 at 12:30pm

No time to search, sorry.

I'm told XANADU no longer offers student rush tickets. Only on-stage seating is discounted.

Can anyone confirm they no longer offer student rush? Thank you!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#2re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 5/29/07 at 12:31pm

Consider yourself lucky.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 5/29/07 at 12:39pm

I know, right? But two friends and I are planning to see it together, and I've seen everything else already.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#3re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 5/29/07 at 12:40pm

No longer? They would have had it for what, all of a handful of shows? Oy.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#4re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 5/29/07 at 12:42pm

I'm hopefully seeing it tonight (provided they still have some sort of rush), so I'll let y'all know.

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#5re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 5/29/07 at 12:52pm

The show was wonderfully entertaining. I watched the film version last night and I have to say that the Staged Muscial is 100 times better than the awful film. At least it was entertaining and a nice way to spend the time. It's worth watching for Jackie Hoffman's performance she's hilarious! Tony Roberts is great too!

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

NJgirl
#6re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 5/29/07 at 1:21pm

any thoughts on what's better? on stage or in the front of the orchestra?

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#7re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 5/29/07 at 1:21pm

Is this true?? I hope not, since I definitely wanted to Rush this this weekend, and given the buzz on the show, I wouldn't be willing to spend for a full-price ticket.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#8re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 5/29/07 at 1:23pm

There was still a sign with rush details up on Sunday at 7pm. It did say that there is no guarantee of rush tickets at all performances, and that it could be stopped at any time. But the rush policies were still posted on Sunday evening.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

fengshuihellnyc
#9re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 5/29/07 at 1:55pm

Ok so what is the rush policy

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#10re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 5/29/07 at 2:09pm

As I posted in the thread "Xanadu Rush" (real hard to find there...)

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=936521#3042749

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#11re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 5/29/07 at 11:11pm

I went to XANADU tonight.

Arrived at 4, got a student ticket for 26.25 ON STAGE SEATING.

Worth it. Completely.

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

Luckydave14
#12re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 5/30/07 at 12:06am

I think that the student tickets are only unavailable when they sell out of onstage-seating. They sell onstage seats for $41 in advance to the general public, and if these sell out for a performance, student rush will not be offered.

mediakilled Profile Photo
mediakilled
#13re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 5/30/07 at 7:42am

I was so excited, i thought 'xanadu rush' was a new kind of popper.

love xanadu too. the show, that is.

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#14re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 6/18/07 at 12:09am

Sorry to bump this up, but has anyone tried rush lately? I'm hoping to get tickets when I'm in the city next weekend :)

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#15re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 6/18/07 at 6:43am

As long as there are empty seats in the Helen Hayes, they will not be turning students away at the box office. They have to fill those seats to build word or mouth, especially in previews.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

veryownplanetz Profile Photo
veryownplanetz
#16re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 6/19/07 at 11:37am

just asked today and the guy had plenty.

curly120
#17re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 6/19/07 at 11:44am

What exactly is the policy? Showing up when the box office opens or getting them a few hours before the show starts? It's not listed on the huge detailed list on talkingbroadway...

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#18re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 6/19/07 at 12:15pm

This is what it was a few weeks ago. Not sure if it's changed.

Pending ticket availability, they MAY have student rush available ~ it was either $26.25 or $26.50. But there are no guarantees if it's available on any given night.

Tickets are sold 2 hours prior to curtain if they have them.

You have to show student ID and (they're being ageist here...not grasping that you CAN be older and a full-time student) proof that you're under 25.

I can't remember if they said 1 or 2 tickets.

But they stressed that it is not guaranteed at every performance. And NOT to call the box office to see if it is. You have to show up 2 hours prior to curtain to see.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

curly120
#19re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 6/19/07 at 6:26pm

Thank you so much for the info! That's a little frustrating that it's not always available. Is that actually true though? Do they really turn rushers away?

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#20re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 6/25/07 at 12:57am

Just did rush this Thursday. I got there at around 5:40, and the guy working the BO told me that there would probably be tickets, but to come back at 6. I did and got tickets, but I'm inclined to think I was the only one who did, as everyone onstage at the performance (they ARE onstage seats) seemed to be older, and in larger groups. The show was a trip, especially the ending (the one time I'll ever get to dance on a Broadway stage, heh), and the people onstage leave through the stage door. All in all a fun evening!

~Lina Lamont

curly120
#21re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 6/25/07 at 11:15pm

Is this dancing thing mandatory? I think that would freak me out and I'm planning on doing student rush for the show! Any details without giving spoilers? Thanks!

broadwayguy2
#22re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 6/25/07 at 11:23pm

actually, they give out left over onstage seats as rush FIRST, then fill out with a few in standard seating.
dancing isn't MANDITORY, but you may look foolish if everyone else is up and dancing with glowsticks and partying but YOU aren't.....

Careful.. the show is selling VERY well!

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#23re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 6/25/07 at 11:33pm

Hahah, it's really no big deal. I don't THINK I'm giving any spoilers, especially if you've seen the movie, but... no guarantees.

At the beginning of the show you're given a glowstick, and for the last number ("Xanadu") and curtain calls, the actors (who break the fourth wall with you fairly often, but never in a singling-out or too abrasive way) tell you to crack the glowsticks, stand up, and dance where you are. The usher who leads you onstage at the beginning of the show tells you about the dance and "auditions" you. Basically they just want you to faux-lasso with your glowstick in hand, but of course you can do whatever you want (while standing in place)

It's a complete no-pressure thing, especially since... well, not to imply that any specific group of people is bad at dancing, but the majority of the onstage people when I was there were middle-aged or older gay men or Jewish grandparents, so you almost definitely won't be the most awkward person there!

~Lina Lamont

curly120
#24re: Xanadu RUSH Tix???
Posted: 6/25/07 at 11:59pm

Haha, I actually laughed out loud reading your post! I'm a good 50-60 years younger than the Jewish grandparents, but I think I'd fit nicely into that crowd dancing-wise!

So if I show up late enough to rush, I might have a chance at not sitting on stage? Sorry for so many questions, but is there an actual line for rush or is it not too popular yet?

Videos