pixeltracker

Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?- Page 2

Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#25re: Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 2:01am

I actually like the Masked Man idea better than the "live inside of Melchior" deal. He's delusional anyways, seeing his friends come up from the grave - how is the Masked Man thing any weirder?

amalou Profile Photo
amalou
#26re: Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 2:02am

"Simple as that, everyone is free to respond threads as they please. Deal with it."

I thought I was voicing my opinion and you were voicing yours...we are free to respond. And I do respond...I'm confused. How am I supposed to "deal with it"?

"But I can tell you that Raoul, who was so handsome in "The Phantom," is now a drunken wreck."

WordedGrace Profile Photo
WordedGrace
#27re: Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 2:06am

Amalou, you're right for calling me on that remark. Not many get me to respond twice, lol.

I'm not gonna hate you in the magazines, (I'm better than that) I'm not gonna compromise my Christianity, (I'm better than that) You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet Cause my momma taught me better than that.
Updated On: 6/13/07 at 02:06 AM

trinaaron Profile Photo
trinaaron
#29re: Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 8:39am

"It's what's called a "snob hit": a play that's not necessarily good but people seem to think they're *supposed* to like because, well, after all, everybody else does."

These kind of comments always make me laugh. It is just the way some people rationalize the popularity of something they don't personally like. After all, if they don't like it there is no possible way it can have any merit at all. And God forbid it is more praised than something they are passionate about. Intelligent people don't like things just because they are popular, or because it is "cool". They form opinions based on their own personal experiences and tastes. I personally thought Spring Awakening was fantastic and was very happy that it won the Tony, as well as most other awards. But that fact that it did win does not affect how I viewed the show.

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#30re: Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 8:56am

I'll admit it. I've hated musicals like this in the past: Wicked, Hairspray, Rent--but I didn't hate SA.
I think that the music is very catchy and pleasing--you can definitely sit through the CD with maybe only skipping over a couple of tracks (I personally find Song of Purple Summer disgustingly cheap). And overall, the show is enjoyable. However, the lyrics and the book are extremely week and there are many points in the show that are laughably corny and odd. However, the show won. It's done and there is nothing we can do about it. Move on.

jhonaker Profile Photo
jhonaker
#30re: Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 9:42am

"I actually like the Masked Man idea better than the "live inside of Melchior" deal. He's delusional anyways, seeing his friends come up from the grave - how is the Masked Man thing any weirder?"

Doesn't seem that weird to me.

Sometimes people leave you
    halfway through the wood.
    Do not let it grieve you,
    No one leaves for good.
    You are not alone.
    No one is alone.

ben4
#31re: Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 9:57am

As much as I think Spring Awakening is overrated (8!?), I have to admit that when I saw it last January I was pretty moved and the music is quite memorable. For a time I even couldn't decide whether or not I prefered it to Grey Gardens (Time has brought me logic). In the end, GG is unforgettable, whereas Spring Awakening has kind of faded. I would still say it's about 100 times better written than either Jersey Boys or Drowsy Chaperone.

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#32re: Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 11:02am

The reason why Spring Awakening was getting so much critical buzz, was because of the original material it was based on, and also for the fact that it, like RENT spoke to a new generation. It's kind of like the Emo Kid Musical.

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#33re: Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 11:26am

Not sure why everyone associates this show with snobs. All the snobs are whining about Grey Gardens not winning Best Musical. Snobs generally hate any show that wins Best Musical that is poular with the general public and therefore unworthy of Broadway, no matter how unconventional it may be. It's not really about artistic integrity, it is about anti-popularity. And they will bash any long-running show (with the exception of A Chorus Line) even if they secretly loved it when they saw it and had their souvenir program autographed at the stage door, just to prove themselves worthy of the other snobs.

You know half the people who bash Rent spent the night on the sidewalk for rush tickets back in 1996, right?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Elphie4ever Profile Photo
Elphie4ever
#34re: Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 4:28pm

i mean i love SA, but as a true theatre fan can I say the truth. I wasn't really into the musical and at the middle of Act 1 I WAS BORED and literally yawning right before I Believe went on. Seriously, I am part of the "targeted" group age for SA, but I didn't felt changed in the inside that everyone is claimin to have at the end of the show (like the feeling you get after watching wicked) ...
like i didn't get the emotional impact everyone else is talking about....
When I got home I had to listen to the OBCR to get it. because the ending and the song of purple summer was confusing. so yeah so I am being dragged to watch SA because of my friends, because they like the upbeat musicals.... this saturday i am going to be dragged in to watch SA....i want to watch something else though llike 10 friends are like going someone is bound to win the Wicked lottery......

jg4892
#35re: Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 4:32pm

I don't know what Spring Awakening you saw elphie, but it is most certainly not an upbeat musical.

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#36re: Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 4:43pm

i dont get the love either. I saw it back in april and while the music and performances were good. the production was something of a mess. i found my self, after every song saying, hmm, no context, interesting, then remembering how bored i was.

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#37re: Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 4:47pm

"when i saw springs awakenings back around christmas time, i just found it awkward and pointless. hype, hype, hype"

maybe the two of you just don't pay attention to detail and that's why you didn't get it. You don't even know the title of the show.

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#38re: Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 4:50pm

"I'll admit it. I've hated musicals like this in the past: Wicked, Hairspray, Rent"

just out of curiousity, why are Wicked, Hairspray, and RENT like Spring Awakening? Because of the hype??

anyway i liked spring awakening, unlike some of my friends i couldnt see it dozens of times, I mean it definitely has its flaws (funny because I think one of its biggest flaws is its choreography) but I certainly didn't dislike it, and the music's pretty good too.

What I don't like is some of the fans. No, not all of them, but some of them are a little psychotic and defend it with their lives. They think it's perfection.

Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

Elphie4ever Profile Photo
Elphie4ever
#39re: Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 4:52pm

well some of the songs are upbeat...
but really i still don't get the hype of SA?
don't get me wrong i like the music but like i said i didn't feel changed like what everyone else is saying..

amalou Profile Photo
amalou
#40re: Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 4:56pm

"maybe the two of you just don't pay attention to detail and that's why you didn't get it. You don't even know the title of the show."

Actually, I think DirtyRottenMemberName is making a reference to Spring's Awakening which was the original title of the play. Even if someone thinks something's bad or pointless or didn't recieve it the way you did, it doesn't mean they weren't paying attention.

"But I can tell you that Raoul, who was so handsome in "The Phantom," is now a drunken wreck."

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#41re: Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 5:09pm

no i dont think so, but perhaps you are correct. Nevertheless, the name is still incorrect.

DirtyRottenMemberName
#42re: Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 5:27pm

I call it Springs Awakenings to mock it. Cause I do not want to dignify that toilet show with the real title. HOWEVER...

I CALL THE PIRATE QUEEN: THE PIRATE QUEEN

amalou Profile Photo
amalou
#43re: Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 5:30pm

ssshhh...it's against the rules to dislike Spring Awakening and like Pirate Queen.

DirtyRottenMemberName
#44re: Spring Awakenings - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 5:34pm

oh your right amalou

I LOVE SPRINGS AWAKENINGS!!!!!!!! BEST SHOW EVER!!!!!

chealion313
#45re: Spring Awakening - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 6:09pm

I listened to the cast recording before I saw the show and loved it. When I went to the show, I was very disappointed. It's definitely not the kind of show everyone will like and understandably so--I'm sure some people would even consider the show to be bordering on offensive.

While I find the cast to be incredibly talented (I do agree that John Gallagher Jr. deserved the Tony), and the music great to listen to, it really wouldn't bother me if I never saw the show again.

thesinger
#46re: Spring Awakening - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 7:07pm

Any show where people jump around and scream "Bitch of Living" is not my kind of night at the theatre.

lovelyspotlight Profile Photo
lovelyspotlight
#47re: Spring Awakening - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 7:18pm

It's a different style...just chill. Why does everything have to be worked up into some huge whirlwind of an event?

rflpfl2
#48re: Spring Awakening - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 7:23pm

Spring Awakening is definitely one of the best shows this season- if you missed something it's either it's not your taste- or you like easy standard theater.

I must comment on this: "It's what's called a "snob hit": a play that's not necessarily good but people seem to think they're *supposed* to like because, well, after all, everybody else does."- This is basically a way for a person to make himself feel better about not being capable of appreciating theater that is different or outside his comfort zone.

It's more raw than pretentious- if someone said that about Lincoln Center's Bernarda Alba, then I'd saw sure. This show feels like independent theater, something that isn't on Broadway- and that's why it's great to give people this experience. Let people see that they don't have to settle for a revival, an original show which might as well be a revival (Curtains/ Chaperone), or a movie-turned-musical.

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#49re: Spring Awakening - Am I Missing Something?
Posted: 6/13/07 at 7:50pm

"SA is one of those examples of, to me, the original play being better than the adaptation. Everything that is "daring" in the show is to be found in the play."

I agree, though havn't seen the Musical. From what i've seen on THAT SITE however, i feel like some of the most beautifully written parts were turned into Pop songs that do not do them justice... i.e. the scene that became "don't do sadness/ blue wind" and the masturbation monologue ("My Junk")...

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!