Pride and Prejudice Musical

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#1Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/13/07 at 9:00pm

Does anyone know any details about this?

From the Austen Blog...

"The Bennets on Broadway
Filed under: Stage — Mags @ 12:56 am
“Elizabeth, you’re going to go out there tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt Darcy…and come back a star!”

We have some exciting news: a musical production of Pride and Prejudice will be on Broadway next year! We have blogged in the past about the musical, which had a premiere at the Ohio Light Opera Company last summer and, after some rewriting to transform it from an operetta to a musical theatre piece, some developmental readings in New York earlier this year. More readings are planned for August; stay tuned for further details. The producers hope to open on Broadway in August 2008."

http://www.austenblog.com/page/2/

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

i-heart-bway Profile Photo
i-heart-bway
#2re: Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/13/07 at 9:10pm

Oh...wow. Say it isn't so.....
This is a great story...but I'm not sure about how great it would be as a musical. I shudder at the mere thought of seeing Darcy singing...although on second thought...lol
Hm, I don't agree with this being a musical. I think it would completely destroy Jane Austen's work, but...who am I to say what a good show is or isn't...I like Spring Awakening. Lol, SUE ME.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#2re: Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/13/07 at 9:13pm

It's already been done as a Broadway musical, in 1959. FIRST IMPRESSIONS. It ran about 3 months.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

hermionejuliet
#3re: Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/13/07 at 9:18pm

I've actually heard about First Impressions. Apparently, one of the early readings of the new musical included an actress from the orginial 1959 musical.

I'm a huge Pride and Prejudice fan, but I am not sure if the concept will work. I hope it does though. I wondered about a singing Darcy, too. Darcy contains and controls his emotions throughout the story, but if they included inner monologues (kind of like *gasp* Spring Awakening) it might work.

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?
Updated On: 6/13/07 at 09:18 PM

Jellylorum Profile Photo
Jellylorum
#4re: Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/13/07 at 10:07pm

This sounds pretty exciting, as Pride and Prejudice is one my favorite books. I hope it turns out great, and I can't wait to see it.

"It's a goddamn beautiful day, shut up!"

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#5re: Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/13/07 at 11:10pm

I think that if done well, the contrast between Darcy's quiet, stoic interactions and the freedom of expression that comes from singing his inner thoughts could be quite remarkable. If done well.

RadiGal2 Profile Photo
RadiGal2
#6re: Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/13/07 at 11:42pm

I always thought a Clueless-like modern version [don't ask me why; but I always picture it taking place in n Lake Forest area of Chicago] might be a clever spin for a musical, but doing it as written I can't see working out well.

"I'm a one-eyed Mormon Democrat from conservative Arizona, and you can't have a higher handicap than that." ~The ever-great and fabulous Morris K. Udall.

hermionejuliet
#7re: Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/14/07 at 12:16am

There actually is a modern Pride and Prejudice musical. It was playing in the village a little over a year ago. Here is a link:

http://www.iloveyoubecausethemusical.com/

Salene Profile Photo
Salene
me2 Profile Photo
me2
#9re: Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/14/07 at 9:19pm

I would LOVE to see this!!! I have the FIRST IMPRESSIONS CD . . . don't bother. I love Austen, and I would love to see this new show.
Broadway Blog: The Second Golden Age

thtrbear
#10re: Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/14/07 at 11:24pm

By the way, I think there was also a musical in England around 1970. I think it did some regional thtrs but not the West End.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#11re: Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/14/07 at 11:40pm

Ugh. No. Just no. Leave classic literature alone. Of all the dozens and dozens of attempts, Oliver is the only one that was semi-successfully translated. How many attempts will it take at turning Pride and Prejudice into a musical before people realize this is NOT going to work?

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

hermionejuliet
#12re: Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/15/07 at 1:16am

"Ugh. No. Just no. Leave classic literature alone. Of all the dozens and dozens of attempts, Oliver is the only one that was semi-successfully translated. How many attempts will it take at turning Pride and Prejudice into a musical before people realize this is NOT going to work? "

Until it does.

Pride and Prejudice is often the basis or inspiration for tons of movies, books, and even musical theatre stories. There are dozens of couplings and storylines in these works of art that borrow if not out right steal from the story and dynamics told of in Pride and Prejudice.

I have nothing to do with the musical, and I know nothing but the information in the blurb posted above. What I do know is that you can't say it won't work. For goodness sake, when they are making barely tolerable movies into to musicals, why couldn't someone try a story that has been tested by time. Why say someone can't do it because of previous failed attempts?

I'll be the first one to say if it doesn't work. When it comes to Pride and Prejudice, I've read and seen more takes on the story and characters that haven't worked than those that have worked.

I actually saw a locally written play that was presented at a community theatre. I found more than enough flaws in it, but there were sparks of potential. I just hope that if they do pursue this idea that they take the time do significant re-writes etc.

Updated On: 6/15/07 at 01:16 AM

desiree armfeldt Profile Photo
desiree armfeldt
#13re: Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/15/07 at 1:18am

TONS OF POTENTIAL.

orangeskittles
#14re: Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/15/07 at 2:58am

What I do know is that you can't say it won't work.

Really? There was one done in 1959. Another in England in 1970. Yet another in the Village a year ago. It's been attempted 3 times already and not once has it been memorable or tolerable enough to survive in the longterm. History already says it won't work, much like Napoleon having success at Waterloo or land invasions of Russia. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Pride and Prejudice is not written in a style conducive to translation into a musical, which would require the composers to take extreme liberties with the "story tested by time" to the point where they might as well make up their own story instead of blaspheming Jane Austen's.

hermionejuliet
#15re: Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/15/07 at 4:53am

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. "

However there are variables. The fact is that different writers and directors would have a hand in this production. Not to mention, it is being tried in a different decade (excluding the modern production which does in fact seem very different than the novel). Therefore, you might expect different results.

I am not sure where history plays into it. Look at the movie industry. Pirate films had been flops for years and years before Disney took a leap of faith with Pirates of the Caribbean (a wildly successful Pirate movie... actually a trilogy).

I don't believe that the first movie about the Titanic was overly successful, however James Cameron produced one of the most successful films in history.

And to circle it back to Jane Austen, Bride and Prejudice is a modern Bollywood style musical that was released in theatres. This film was embraced by critics and Austen fans alike. It had a decent box office (for a film that was in limited US and then wider US release) and positive reviews.
http://www.austenblog.com/archives/category/screen/bride-and-prejudice/
This is a well made movie that showed the story could translate to a musical type environment. Granted, I'm not wishing for another Bombay Dreams!

Oh, don't forget the fact that Austen has become more popular than ever in the past few years. Sequels and spin-offs of her novels are being published like crazy. Anne Hathaway will star in a fictionalized account of Jane Austen's life ("Becoming Jane").

And.. Believe it or not, this author has a built in fan base just like The Wedding Singer and Legally Blonde! While I may be making a generalization, I would assume that, this fan is more likely to be able to afford and desire to go a musical.

orangeskittles
#16re: Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/15/07 at 12:31pm

I'm quite aware of the fact that Jane Austen has a fan base; I've been a part of it since I was 11 years old. However seeing as how the fan base hasn't helped the previous incarnations of a musical, I don't see how you can be so certain that they'll come out for this attempt.

I've seen Bride and Prejudice. The difference is that from what little I've seen about this musical is that it's attempting to be period-based, NOT a modern interpretation. There's a huge difference in the style and are not remotely comparable when it comes to determining success. Since you brought movies into it, it's like comparing the success of Bridget Jones's Diary to that of the 2005 movie remake of Pride and Prejudice. Positive reviews doesn't necessarily mean it will be well-received by the ticket-buying public, or all of the fans.

ComaBaby01 Profile Photo
ComaBaby01
#17re: Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/15/07 at 12:49pm

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. "

I believe that's ingenuity.

"Love all; Trust a few; Do wrong to none." --William Shakespeare

Sykes24 Profile Photo
Sykes24
#18re: Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/15/07 at 2:17pm

This sounds BOOOOOOOOOOOOORING. Sorry, I try to be supportive and positive about new works but really? Pride and Prejudice? Must we suffer through another Frank Wildhorn-esque disaster?

hermionejuliet
#19re: Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/15/07 at 11:42pm

"However seeing as how the fan base hasn't helped the previous incarnations of a musical, I don't see how you can be so certain that they'll come out for this attempt."

As I've said, Jane Austen is becoming more and more mainstream, and it is a lucrative business for publishing and movies. I won't be surprising anyone with my thoughts when I say that audiences are receptive to different types of stories at different points in history.

"The difference is that from what little I've seen about this musical is that it's attempting to be period-based, NOT a modern interpretation.There's a huge difference in the style and are not remotely comparable when it comes to determining success."

Well... Spring Awakening is period based. Who knows- maybe Elizabeth will pull out a microphone from her Regency style dress, and Darcy will break into a rap all alone in the sitting room. I may be exaggerating, but this show doesn't have to be a repeat of Jane Eyre or Little Women. I believe that these show are beautiful shows with a place in musical theatre, but they are not monetarily lucrative at this point in history. What I'm hoping for is a fresh, but faithful, take on the story with wonderful music and lyrics.

"Positive reviews doesn't necessarily mean it will be well-received by the ticket-buying public, or all of the fans."

Reviews seem to have more influence on the Broadway box office than that of movies or even books.

Orange Skittles, I've been on this board long enough to know not to waste breath on defending my point. Especially when it has to do with a show that is not fully developed.

Updated On: 6/15/07 at 11:42 PM

SporkGoddess
#20re: Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/15/07 at 11:52pm

hermionejuliet: I thought Jane Eyre was pretty good. Not as good as the novel, but...

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

hermionejuliet
#21re: Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/16/07 at 12:43am

"hermionejuliet: I thought Jane Eyre was pretty good. Not as good as the novel, but..."

I actually haven't had an opportunity to see the show. I do have the cast recording which is beautiful. In my opinion, it has a far more traditional musical theatre score compared to the pop scores that are receiving attention and long runs.

I've seen Little Women on tour, and I really liked it. Love the music. However, I was discussing both shows with a theatre buddy, and she stated that there doesn't seem to be a place for such traditional musical theatre on Broadway. I don't know if I agree if it is done well...

ComaBaby01 Profile Photo
ComaBaby01
#22re: Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 6/17/07 at 1:04am

Period musicals are gorgeous (most of the time... when done right). I've seen Jane Eyre, and it's probably one of my favorite musicals of all time. I have this feeling in the back of my mind that P&P could be done and done well, but only time will tell I guess.

"Love all; Trust a few; Do wrong to none." --William Shakespeare

alastor Profile Photo
alastor
#23Pride and Prejudice Musical
Posted: 10/22/07 at 2:26pm

has anyone heard these new demos for the Pride and Prejudice musical? Ummmm......... not sure what think.

http://www.myspace.com/janeaustensprideandprejudice

Videos