Who's been invited backstage?

DEFYxGRAViTY721 Profile Photo
DEFYxGRAViTY721
#1Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 8:59pm

I've heard stories of people who make things for stars, or know someone in a show and get invited backstage. Has it ever happened to anyone here?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 9:00pm

No, not a one. If you register at BWW you're automatically banned from the backstage of all theatres.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

DEFYxGRAViTY721
#2re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 9:01pm

really? wow. I didn't know that. Oops, sorry. I may sound really ignorant for saying this, but do you know why?

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#3re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 9:02pm

It's true. They remotely implant a chip upon registration, and you beep so loudly at the stage doors that if they don't get you out within 10 seconds, the entire dressing room area explodes.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

DEFYxGRAViTY721
#4re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 9:03pm

Rathnait - hahahaha!

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#5re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 9:04pm

LMAO

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#6re: Who's been invited backstage?

re: Who's been invited backstage?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#7re: Who's been invited backstage?

This is why I love BWW. re: Who's been invited backstage?

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

DEFYxGRAViTY721
#8re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 9:06pm

haha, me too =)

istillbelieve24601 Profile Photo
istillbelieve24601
#9re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 9:19pm

In all seriousness, I've been backstage... actually, more of onstage at the St. James when The Producers was running because my mom knew Roger Bart from college. It was before I joined BWW, so I guess that's why nothing blew up.

I wonder if Roger will extend the same courtesy for Young Frankenstien... not for nothing, but I would LOVE to meet Sutton Foster.

Knowing actors will help you get backstage, but dressing up as a character from the show/making a large, hand-written tee-shirt expressing your love for the show can't hurt either.

Cosette: Roses are red. Marius: Violets are blue. Eponine: You're so in love! Marius: And so not with you.

misschung
#10re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 9:24pm

lol!

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#11re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 9:27pm

Going on a hunger strike and chaining yourself to the stage door works too but not for BWW ers.

StuckToTheStage Profile Photo
StuckToTheStage
#12re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 9:46pm

I was invited backstage because I was talking to the security guard and just leisurely spoke about my set designs and my interest in theatre...He asked me what I thought of the Mary Poppins sets.(Of course, I couldn't lie, they were amazing!). He then asked me where was I seated. I responded, "The balcony". Finally, he asked, "How would you like to see them a little closer?"

Then he opened the door, invited me in, showed me around, described everything with the set and the props and how they work, and then spoke to me about the ghost in the theatre.

It was the highlight of my trip to NYC.

"Maybe you could teach me how to LuPwn? No, that seems like something only a bitter delusional queen could enjoy." -JoeKv99 on the remarks of TooDarnHot

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#13re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 9:47pm

I did three times because I knew people in shows (came to know them).

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#14re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 9:48pm

but dressing up as a character from the show/making a large, hand-written tee-shirt expressing your love for the show can't hurt either.

Uh yea...it can.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

lindas13
#15re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 9:49pm

my daughter got to go backstage two times (Wicked). she was aww struck.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#16re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 9:49pm

foanatic-exactly-the reason I got into the three places I did was because I didn't act that way.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#17re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 9:50pm

my friend and i went backstage at jersey boys bc my friend knows someone in the cast. John Bon Jovi's Mother was backstage too haha

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#18re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 9:50pm

yeah at one place i went, i did see two famous people

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#19re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 9:51pm

So can faking cancer!

http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=811

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#20re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 9:52pm

Lizzie-the sarcastic nasty remarks are unneccessary.

Elphie4ever Profile Photo
Elphie4ever
#21re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 9:57pm

my dream this summer IS to go backstage lol
sigh,, i really don't know how is that going to come true though

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#22re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 9:58pm

what show elphie?
there are ways to go, you know.

Gingersnap2 Profile Photo
Gingersnap2
#23re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 10:00pm

But what would BWW be without some sarcasm in every thread? Tis tradition.

But, to answer the original question. I've been backstage.

First time was at the Majestic. My friend and I had only just met Hugh Panaro and were talking to him before the show. He told us to come back after and took our names so we could get in. After that, we ended up going backstage to see him for the next couple of months til he left.

I also got backstage at Lestat a couple of times at his invitation.

And at Hairspray...I went to see it with a few friends and we stopped to say hello to Tommar Wilson. He invited us back to chat.

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
#24re: Who's been invited backstage?
Posted: 6/17/07 at 10:02pm

I went backstage for Les Mis because over myspace I found a woman who was in the ensemble, but who didn't show up on my playbill so I sent a very non-creepy message telling her I enjoyed the show but didn't see her on my playbill, and she explained why and she told me to tell her if I ever came back, and I told her when I was and she brought me backstage. Because I got lucky and she was super nice.

I've been backstage to other shows, I don't know how other people do it, but I either knew someone in the show or through my voice teacher, who knows everyone.

I know of fans writing letters and getting lucky, or simply striking up a conversation with a performer and being invited in on the spot.

I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.

Videos