Auditioning for Urinetown

tinkerscanne
#1Auditioning for Urinetown
Posted: 6/24/07 at 2:24pm

Should I sing "Popular" from Wicked? It is suggested NOT to sing a song from the show. I was going to sing "Follow Your Heart" but I guess that's out now. I want to do something that is similar to the style of U-Town, but also a song that shows both my belting and legit soprano. I'm going out for Hope. Also, I want to show the comedic side of my singing.

Thanks!

jennyish Profile Photo
jennyish
#2re: Auditioning for Urinetown
Posted: 6/24/07 at 6:54pm

NOT Popular! It's sung to death at auditions -- if the people you sing for don't hate it already, they will by the end of the day.

I chose, and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not.

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#2re: Auditioning for Urinetown
Posted: 6/24/07 at 7:01pm

Taylor the Latte Boy.

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#3re: Auditioning for Urinetown
Posted: 6/24/07 at 7:20pm

Oh, Christ, no. Sing something from Batboy or a similar satire musical.

Broadwayboy2631 Profile Photo
Broadwayboy2631
#4re: Auditioning for Urinetown
Posted: 6/24/07 at 7:28pm

If you want Hope, then you're going to want to sing something more classical.

#5re: Auditioning for Urinetown
Posted: 6/24/07 at 7:36pm

NEVER EVER sing Popular for an audition. the casting directors will never take it seriously, and its a 99% chance theyll take you as a joke. its odd that they suggest not singing a song from the show.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#6re: Auditioning for Urinetown
Posted: 6/24/07 at 9:25pm

It's not odd. Who wants to sit at an audition all day hearing the songs from the show over and over and over again. At callbacks, yes, at the first auditions, no.

Sing a Rodgers and Hammerstein soprano song. The girl I cast as Hope when I directed it wowed us with IF I LOVED YOU.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

alex2155 Profile Photo
alex2155
#7re: Auditioning for Urinetown
Posted: 6/24/07 at 9:27pm

It's best to not sing any song from a current broadway show.

alex2155 Profile Photo
alex2155
#8re: Auditioning for Urinetown
Posted: 6/24/07 at 9:27pm

It's best to not sing any song from a current broadway show.

MrAmySpanger Profile Photo
MrAmySpanger
#9re: Auditioning for Urinetown
Posted: 6/24/07 at 9:43pm

Firstly, having a close friend who fell victum to using this song at an audition, I advise you not to sing Popular. It won't do anyhting for your range. It does, however, show off a quirky and comedic female character role which is an excellent idea if planning to audition for any female role in Urinetown. 'ShbrtAlley44 ' makes an excellent suggestion-Bat Boy does have similar humor, 16 bars from 'Inside Your Heart' or 'A Home For You' could work. If you don't already know Bat Boy, I would suggest possibly 'Adelaide's Lament', assuming you'd include the ending. If you're looking to make a profound impression, maybe 'Dance: Ten; Looks: Three' could work..or at least I'd think it's funny. And i'm always a fan of someone who can pull off 'Gimme, Gimme.'

Mythus
#10re: Auditioning for Urinetown
Posted: 6/24/07 at 9:50pm

I wouldn't suggest a song that showcases belting - Hope isn't a belter. I agree with D2, "If I Loved You" sounds like a good choice.

SporkGoddess
#11re: Auditioning for Urinetown
Posted: 6/24/07 at 9:51pm

Problem is, Hope's a soprano role and none of those songs are soprano. I'd suggest singing a quirky soprano song... do you know "Ice Cream" from She Loves Me? If not, I'd do a "classical" soprano MT piece, like "Baubles, Bangles, and Beads" from Kismet.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

tinkerscanne
#12re: Auditioning for Urinetown
Posted: 6/24/07 at 10:13pm

It's 10:12pm and ...Too Late....

There were no responses when I checked before I left and I already auditioned and I used Popular. I sang the last 32 bars or so - and got to show off a bit of my soprano stuff with "And though you protest..." Plus the board of directors at this theatre knows me b/c the last show I was in there was ALL about my soprano. I was Antonia in Man of La Mancha. Ah, I digress...

BUT, they asked me to read for Hope and I did a fantastic job with the acting. I also read for Little Sally and that went great as well. So I feel confident in that area.

But I don't fully agree that Hope is soprano - I mean, of course she is b/c of Follow Your Heart, but she also belts it out a little at the end and then there's I See A River, which is in the lower register. Also, (and this is to make me feel better - ha ha!) I didn't belt it out ala Ethel Merman. I sang in a nice mixed-voice blend that was very character-ish, which is what I was aiming for.

I will be looking into Bat Boy. Wasn't Kerry Butler in that/originated a role?

Anyway, callbacks are Thursday and they're not informing anyone of any decision until after the 4th of July.

tinkerscanne
#13re: Auditioning for Urinetown
Posted: 6/26/07 at 12:03pm

Well, I got a callback! I'm very happy and I am hoping to sing something in my legit voice for them.

Bdwy24
#14re: Auditioning for Urinetown
Posted: 6/26/07 at 2:00pm

Girl in 14G!

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#15re: Auditioning for Urinetown
Posted: 6/26/07 at 2:11pm

I would say no to Girl in 14 G. You want to show off your voice, not prove to them you can belt, sing coloratura and jazz.

If you are truly a legit singer, sing something like "Till there was you" "Moonfall" or "One More Kiss." "If I loved You" is a great choice, as is "Where or When." Show them the training in your voice, as other women auditioning will just be there to show off the range of their belt.

good luck.

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

tinkerscanne
#16re: Auditioning for Urinetown
Posted: 6/26/07 at 5:10pm

I think I will go with "If I Loved You" or "Till There Was You," unless they ask to hear "Follow Your Heart." I already showed them I can belt so now it's time to step it up and get the role I want!

I also was wondering if you all think this is a good idea. I always wear the same outfit to callbacks as I wore at the audition. Good idea, bad idea or it doesn't matter?

Thanks!

Videos