Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?

MarkRascati
#1Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 2:53pm

I haven't seen anyone say anything about the show itself.

Is it worth seeing if I'm in town? I got coupons for up to $52 off so unless I hear terrible things from you guys, I may see it.

WOSQ
#2re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 2:55pm

Yes.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 2:56pm

The show itself is a snooze fest, but David Hyde Pierce's performance is charming and adorable. I personally don't think his performance is even worth the money in itself because it's not even that big of a role. But it's not too painful a show. If you have a decent discount (not the $78.50 one -- that's way too much to spend on this), then give it a go.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#3re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 3:03pm

Foster, you're ridiculous. Curtains is not the best show in the world, but it's fun and charming and has some good lines (mostly delivered by Edward Hibbert). DHP and the rest of the cast give it their all every night. I'd definitely recommend it.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#4re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 3:04pm

I recommend the show. It is certainly not a great show, but clearly an enjoyable night at the theater. Good performances all around.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

mortgageguy79 Profile Photo
mortgageguy79
#5re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 3:06pm

You will see some FABULOUS performances! I would see it for the experience. Not the best show ever, but certainly entertaining.

Jack: For your information, most people who meet me do not know that I am gay. Will: Jack, blind and deaf people know you're gay. Dead people know you're gay. Jack: Grace, when you first met me, did you know I was gay? Grace: My dog knew.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#6re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 3:06pm

Foster is such an idiot.

No, CURTAINS isn't brilliant, but it's a great time at the theatre. I highly recommend it.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#7re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 3:07pm

Yes, see it. David Hyde Pierce is incredibly charming and winning. You'll see why he won the Tony.

~Steven

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#8re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 3:14pm

It's a lot of fun - a big, old fashioned musical that is only about being entertaining. And David Hyde Pierce, as has already been said, is wonderful.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#9re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 3:20pm

Personally I hated it. I found Karen Ziemba and Jason Danieley to be the only two good things about it. I thought Hyde Pierce was awkward, Debra Monk was trying too hard to get a reaction, Hibbert was just being a one trick pony, Noah Racey really did not bring it in the dance department the way I expected him to, and Jill Paice made me want to gauge my eyes and ears out. Also, the score is not very good. But it's fun if you aren't picky or critical, like I am.

Yankeefan007
#10re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 3:24pm

Loved it, saw it twice.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#11re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 3:28pm

Then bjh, how did your picky, critical standards fail you so completely at Aida?

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#12re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?

I agree with Foster.

I've seen the show four times because I'm in love with Debra Monk. But each time I saw it the flaws in the book, score and direction really started to show.

However,

One of the BEST reasons to see show is to witness a GREAT cast skillfully and energetically put over just-above-mediocre material.

The cast makes the show. They come off as enjoying themselves and that is infectious.

Another thing... each time I saw it, the audience LOVED it. So it does have crowd pleaser appeal.

What great ones do the less will prattle of

Glebb Profile Photo
Glebb
#13re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?

LOVED it.

" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."

Johnnytoc
#14re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 3:36pm

Definitely go see it! I Love this show- it's a lot of fun!

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#15re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 3:38pm

"Then bjh, how did your picky, critical standards fail you so completely at Aida?"

Because I was 12 when I saw it, and I wasn't exactly comparing it to other theatre at the time. It was an entertaining night for a young kid. Plus the score is very good and I still love the CD, even if the show is flawed. I don't know if I would see the show again, but I think the music is very good.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#16re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 3:43pm

And bjh, do musicals like Destry Rides Again, Unsinkable Molly Brown, New Girl in Town, Redhead, Li'l Abner or Whoop-Up have any resonance with you?

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#17re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 3:49pm

Smaxie, what exactly are you trying to prove? I happen to like Unsinkable Molly Brown and Li'l Abner. I've heard the music to Redhead and thought it was pretty good, but hard to picture how it fits without seeing the show. I don't really like the music to New Girl in Town, but then again, Gwen Verdon is amazing. And I've never heard the music or seen the show of Destry Rides Again and Whoop-Up.

broadwayjim42
#18re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 3:49pm

Kinda glad to see this thread...was thinking of adding it to the pool of shows I'm considering seeing Thursday and Friday but have zippo interest in it outside of DHP. And my interest there stems more from wanting to congratulate him on his Tony, his amazing speech and a Saratoga connection than the show itself!

Ah, maybe I'll save it for next time. Getting back to "Company," even in the rear mezzanine, is becoming too pressing.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#19re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 3:51pm

Wow.

You're dumber than WannaBe.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#20re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 3:54pm

Ben, were you talking to me?

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#21re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 4:00pm

Im with bjh
not worth seeing it.
Pierce deserved his Tony though.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#22re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 4:21pm

See it. It's well worth the purchase. If only to "add it to the list" - I for one thought it was wonderful show. David's performance is charming, Debra's enchanting, and the rest of the bunch give 110% to deliver a full-on, old fashioned, CLEVER musical comedy. Definitely go. End of story.

#23re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 4:39pm

I haven't seen Curtains-- no opinion it it here--

But isn't any show "Worth seeing"? I don't think I've ever regretted seeing a show (even a stinker) but I've often regretted missing one.

justafan2
#24re: Is 'Curtains' worth seeing?
Posted: 6/27/07 at 4:44pm

I just ordered tix to see Curtains, once I heard that Pirate Queen was closing & I rec'd a refund on my card (had a credit on my card and didn't want it to go to waste, so.............)
Hope it's as good or better than Pirate Queen--which I wish I had the opportunity to see.