pixeltracker

First musical not to have an overture- Page 2

First musical not to have an overture

anthonycbaron@mac.co Profile Photo
anthonycbaron@mac.co
#25re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/4/07 at 11:36pm

While it's not an "overture" isn't the Carousel Waltz pretty close?

kyleorlando Profile Photo
kyleorlando
#26re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 12:49am

Pippin and Hair didn't have overtures. They came along before A Chorus Line.

Current Avatar: Me.
Current Saying: What do you mean it isn't enough being pretty? Have you seen my headshots?!?
Updated On: 7/5/07 at 12:49 AM

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#27re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 1:05am

I'm curious -- can anyone think of some musicals that have long stretches at the beginning before any music is heard at all? I'm hard pressed to think of one.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"
Updated On: 7/5/07 at 01:05 AM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#28re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 2:08am

Marvin Hamlisch wrote the CHORUS LINE overture himself. He gladly admits that it was horrible. You can see a clip of him playing it on you tube. He says something like "You'll see why it was cut."

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#29re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 2:17am

^Well, I know nothing about A Chorus Line, and I'm sure all the hub-hub about it not needing an overture etc. are true, but couldn't he just write a better one?

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

bk
#30re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 2:50am

Well, since no one has mentioned one of the most famous overtureless shows, Hello, Dolly! The original production had no overture - just the famous four-bar intro to Call On Dolly. An overture was added for the first revival, but there wasn't one during the entire original run of the show at the St. James.

mikeyb16 Profile Photo
mikeyb16
#31re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 8:38am

I don't think WICKED has an overture, unless I'm mistaken and they've used it for the show's first number.

I know Lion King doesn't have one, it didn't when I saw the show in London last year.

I love overtures, can't quite explain it but the Music used in them are fantastic.

My favourte is the Beauty & The Beast and I also love it's Entr'acte.

I also love the overutre that was used in the National UK Tour's Cameron Mackintosh & Trevor Nunn Production of 'My Fair Lady'.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#32re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 8:49am

Company has a very very brief overture, it's accompanied by the creepy "Bobby" chant. You can hear it clearly on the OBC and 1995 Roundabout cast recordings.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#33re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 8:51am

I thought the "Bobby" chant was part of the song Company.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Tom148502
#34re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 8:54am

Mikem asked

"I'm curious -- can anyone think of some musicals that have long stretches at the beginning before any music is heard at all? I'm hard pressed to think of one. "

Lady in the Dark

Princeton78
#35re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 8:59am

When you are looking at the full score, it's listed as the overture.

sondhead
#36re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 9:14am

"Usually, the Overture is the work of the orchestrator, not the composer. The composer might have a hand in the routine or layout, but very few composers actually did the actual work. "

The Overture can really be the work of almost anyone. Yes, the orchestrator often does it but composers have been known to do them as well. Sondheim comes to mind and also Hamlisch. I don't know about They're Playing Our Song, but I'm pretty sure he wrote Chorus Line's based on the article written about the matter and the fact that he conducts it at concerts.

And yes, I love the entr'acte to "They're Playing Our Song" as well and thus anticipated the Overture on the London Cast Recording... I was disappointed.

Princeton78
#37re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 9:15am

I read the article and it lists Cats and Miss Saigon as having overtures that didn't' work, I think in Cats especially, the Overture is one of the best pieces in the show.

sondhead
#38re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 9:18am

Well Husk, let's compare.

Your message:
"A Chorus Line" has an overture, Bennet decided to not use it, and therefore it's not in the show, in any format. Back when the revival's recording came out there was an article in the NY Times about the loss of the overture, and while "A Chorus Line" is usually credited as the first, I want to say there were 3 or 4 shows prior that did not have one. Does "Company" have one??"

My message:
"I read that article. It was ridiculous. It obviously gave no mind to the purpose of an overture as anything other than 3 minutes of music at the beginning of a show. Anyone who has seen A Chorus Line would know that an overture would feel completely out of place there.

Anyone who's heard the Chorus Line overture also know how poor it is. Hamlisch has never been a good overture writer. The "They're Playing Our Song" Overture is terrible as is "Smile"s."

Outlines--
Yours:
--Chorus Line had an overture Bennett chose not to use
--An article published around the time of the revival talks about it
--ACL is credited as the first overtureless show overlooking several before it
--Does Company have an overture?

Mine:
--That article seemed to miss the artistic purpose of an overture in musical theatre
--An overture in Chorus Line would have been bizarre
--It's also just not a good overture
--Neither are the overtures to other Hamlisch scores

Seem pretty different to me, but thanks for unnecessarily being a jerk!

philcrosby
#39re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 9:39am

Despite its presence on the cast recordings, HELLO DOLLY! never used an overture on Broadway.

Some other shows (pre-CHORUS LINE) without traditional overtures:
FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
CAROUSEL
HAIR
FOLLIES
COMPANY
PACIFIC OVERTURES
WEST SIDE STORY
THE SOUND OF MUSIC

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#40re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 9:43am

Recently in Washington, DC at the They're Playing Our Song Again! concert at the Kennedy Center, Marvin Hamlish spoke of A Chorus Line not having an overture and how it was not right to have one. He also spoke of how he loves loves loves overtures as they set the tone, make one more excited for a show and get everyone ready (I am paraprasing here...). He then said that if he had an overture for A Chorus Line, this is how it would have been...and then proceeded us to do a nice 5 Minute "overture" of A Chorus Line with the symphony.

And I have to totally disagree with the person about They're Playing Our Song... I enjoy the Overture/Entre Act very very much.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

sondhead
#41re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 9:45am

Just to reiterate.. I too love the entr'acte

I hate the *overture*, which is not on the Broadway album. Only the London one.

vmlinnie
#42re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 10:01am

I too love Overtures.

Wicked does not have an overture.

Carousel didn't originally, although the waltz could count. the Revivals sometimes did.

I have been writing a show, and I write and will write my own overtures and entr'actes. It's a slightly lazy sign if a composer can't be bothered to do at least that. I do the orchestrations too.

The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#43re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 10:11am

Anyone Can Whistle - 1964

Really, there are so many that predate A Chorus Line. Now it's just a matter of narrowing it down to the first. Does anyone know of an online listing of all broadway musicals, in date order? I know about IBDB but you have to search one season at a time with that, unless there's another element to that site I'm not aware of.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

Tom148502
#44re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 10:16am

There's Richard Norton's 3-Volune Chronology of American Musical Theatre which lists credits, casts and scores, to the extent possible, for Amerucan musicals from 1750 up through 2001, which I own.

Fosse76
#45re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 10:21am

"I don't think WICKED has an overture, unless I'm mistaken and they've used it for the show's first number.

I know Lion King doesn't have one, it didn't when I saw the show in London last year."

And both of these shows came out LONG AFTER A Chorus Line, making their presence in this thread irrelevant, since the topic is "First musical not to have an overture."

Dollypop
#46re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 10:26am

The original production of HELLO, DOLLY! (1964) didn't have an overture. Gower Champion hated them because audiences tended to talk through them. (They still do) It wasn't until the Pearl Bailey recording that Jerry Herman added an overture--for the recording only. When the show was revived in 1976 Herman put an overture in place because he always felt the show should have one.

You'll recall that when Champion took over the staging of IRENE, there already was an overture but he added stage business while the music was being played.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#47re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 11:28am

I'm probably wrong on this, but I have a vague memory that the 1927 production of SHOWBOAT has no overture. Can anyone confirm that?

http://docandraider.com

Broadwaynut81 Profile Photo
Broadwaynut81
#48re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 11:32am

I know its not the FIRST musical not to, but if I remember correctly Into the Woods has no overture or entr'acte... it just starts with "Once.."

Just wondering...

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#49re: First musical not to have an overture
Posted: 7/5/07 at 11:45am

Jerry Herman is a big fan of the overture. He feels it makes unknown music "familiar" to the audience, so that when they actually hear the songs, they are more likely to enjoy them. Gower Champion's opinion of overtures is pretty silly, since, getting people to their seats and settled down is exactly the purpose of an overture. People tend to be talking while doing that. Much better they do that during an overture than during the actual opening moments of the show!