Just saw Hairspray

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#25re: Just saw Hairspray
Posted: 7/12/07 at 4:21pm

I REALLY loved this movie, and I thought John Travolta was perfect.
Broadway Blog: Look for my Spoiler-Free Hairspray review

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#26re: Just saw Hairspray
Posted: 7/12/07 at 5:05pm

I also love "MBC". I can't stop listening to it! Mateo said that "The New Girl in Town" is played in the show when Amber is talking about Mother-Daughter Day.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#27re: Just saw Hairspray
Posted: 7/12/07 at 5:09pm

Thank you, Jacob. I've been listening to the CD non-stop since it arrived yesterday, and I have "New Girl in Town" stuck in my head (not that that's a bad thing). It was when I was heating up my lunch at work that it dawned on me where I've heard it before!!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

DBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
#28re: Just saw Hairspray
Posted: 7/12/07 at 5:20pm

Which means that "New Girl in Town" will not be eligible for Oscar consideration, correct?

"I am open, and I am willing, For to be hopeless would seem so strange. It dishonors those who go before us, So lift me up to the light of change." Holly Near

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#29re: Just saw Hairspray
Posted: 7/12/07 at 5:46pm

Good question. Not too sure, as it's not credited in the program and only used as a brief underscore.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

brdwaybaby17 Profile Photo
brdwaybaby17
#30re: Just saw Hairspray
Posted: 7/12/07 at 5:49pm

Oh! "New Girl in Town!" Loved it. I'm glad it was in the movie... even though I kind of missed "Mama, I'm a Big Girl Now" and would have liked to hear it.
Also, I didn't say before, LOVED the Hefty Hideaway scene (I don't know how much people know about it, but if you like the original movie... you'll be excited).
And, yes, maybe I was a little hard on Pfeiffer, and I did enjoy some of her acting, I just can't understand why they had to leave one of the weakest songs in the show in the movie and then have her do a less than adequate job. I was just really squirmy during the whole number.
I think that when I go back to see the movie again (which, of course, I will), I will probably enjoy Travolta more... I think he does an adaptation that will grow on people... hopefully that includes me because I really want to like him!

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#31re: Just saw Hairspray
Posted: 7/12/07 at 6:42pm

"I was just really squirmy during the whole number."

I'm sure there's going to be whole lot of guys watching and wishing they could Cha Cha Cha with Michelle and getting really squirmy during the whole number, all over the world.

broadwayboy1017
#32re: Just saw Hairspray
Posted: 7/12/07 at 8:48pm

Can't wait to see it!

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#33re: Just saw Hairspray
Posted: 7/12/07 at 9:46pm

Whenever I start singing 'I Can Wait" from the beginning, I always end up singing "On my own" from Les Miz. Ya know?

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

yankees1253 Profile Photo
yankees1253
#34re: Just saw Hairspray
Posted: 7/12/07 at 9:51pm

i am just going to miss hearing in the movie "mama i'm a big girl" it was one of my favorites in the musical on stage. i cant wait 2 see it since i see it for free.

LoringsGuy
#35re: Just saw Hairspray
Posted: 7/12/07 at 11:26pm

I enjoyed Travolta's performance. You really felt the insecurity and sensitivity of the character, and fully believed that she would need to be coaxed out of the house ("Welcome to the 60's") which I never bought from Fierstein or Divine.

Michelle's vocals aren't particularly strong (she has admitted in interviews that she hadn't trained her voice in years), but she is by no means bad. The way she expressed her annoyance by curling her lip and rolling her eyes was hilarious.

As for "Mama I'm a Big Girl Now"---I read something (maybe it was even on BWW) that said it was decided to cut the song because they couldn't figure out how to film it without using a split screen effect, which they felt would be too much like "The Telephone Hour" in BIRDIE.

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#36re: Just saw Hairspray
Posted: 7/12/07 at 11:50pm

fully believed that she would need to be coaxed out of the house ("Welcome to the 60's") which I never bought from Fierstein or Divine.

Agreed.

JustChillin8908
#37re: Just saw Hairspray
Posted: 7/13/07 at 12:37am

I don't know why everyone hates Michelle's voice. Miss Baltimore Crabs is definitely my favorite song on the soundtrack (I thought it was much more forgettable on the OBCR).

EDIT: Spelling...
Updated On: 7/13/07 at 12:37 AM

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#38re: Just saw Hairspray
Posted: 7/13/07 at 12:46am

fully believed that she would need to be coaxed out of the house ("Welcome to the 60's") which I never bought from Fierstein or Divine.

Agreed.

I agree as well.

Just Chillin, my sentiments exactly. I keep going back to 'Crabs when I listen to the ablum. Its one of my favorite tracks.

I would love to hear a Michelle rendition of "Velma's Revenge."

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

LoringsGuy
#39re: Just saw Hairspray
Posted: 7/13/07 at 1:27am

I really would've loved to hear Michelle and Brittany do the "C'mon, you Von Tussles, go on, shake your fanny muscles" section of YCSTB, but alas, it was not to be. As much as I LOVED the movie, the decision to cut that part from the finale was disappointing---and ironic, considering the movie preaches a message of inclusiveness. I suppose most audience members would be dissatisfied if Velma and Amber didn't get their come-uppance in the end...

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY
Updated On: 7/13/07 at 01:27 AM

JustChillin8908
#40re: Just saw Hairspray
Posted: 7/13/07 at 2:04am

"I really would've loved to hear Michelle and Brittany do the "C'mon, you Von Tussles, go on, shake your fanny muscles" section of YCSTB, but alas, it was not to be. As much as I LOVED the movie, the decision to cut that part from the finale was disappointing---and ironic, considering the movie preaches a message of inclusiveness. I suppose most audience members would be dissatisfied if Velma and Amber didn't get their come-uppance in the end..."

When I first listended to YCSTB on the soundtrack, I turned up the volume in anticipation during that point of the song. I was sadly dissapointed by yet another repeat of the chorus.

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#41re: Just saw Hairspray
Posted: 7/13/07 at 2:45am

I don't think it would have worked in the film at all if the Von Tussles joined in "You Can't Stop the Beat". I'm very familiar with the musical and even I wouldn't have bought it.

I was surprisingly pleased by the entire picture. It was truly a delight from start to finish. I can't really say that there were any real negatives for me. I thought the film was filled with charming, energetic performances from the entire cast. Nikki Blonsky is a revelation! She has a delightful voice and a fantastic presence. I don't think they could have discovered a more perfect young lady for this role. I was astounded by how much I enjoyed Travolta. From what I had seen of him so far, I was prepared to strongly dislike his performance. I was pleasantly surprised with what he did with the role. He managed to convincingly bring out both Edna's caring motherly side and her insecure shut in side. His chemistry with the Walken is golden. Pfeiffer was a fitting villain and sang and danced well. James Marsden was also thoroughly charming. This makes me really excited to see him in his next musical project, "Enchanted". Janney is hilarious in the little screentime she has, and John Waters' cameo could not have been more perfect. Shankman, who has never impressed me before, really delivers with strong direction and energetic choreography. Great editing, sets, and costumes.

Congratulations to Marc and the entire team on a job well done. Thankfully this movie is aligned more with Dreamgirls and Chicago than Rent and The Producers. If the audience's reaction tonight was any indication, then this movie has a great chance of being a real crowd-pleasing hit.

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

RentHead2 Profile Photo
RentHead2
#42re: Just saw Hairspray
Posted: 7/13/07 at 6:37am

I know I recently posted that I did not care for Michelle Pfeiffer's voice in the movie but it's very strange: I just bought the cd, and it's her song "Baltimore Crabs" that I keep playing. I need to watch that movie again, maybe it didn't play right out on screen. And I absolutly love "THE NEW GIRLS IN TOWN"...great addition.

I made a list of all your faults, it was quite detailed and lengthy too and when I read it through I missed you. Your like a classic Eagles song, you just cant help but sing along even though it sometimes gets annoying too. I just know I want to be wherever I can wake and see you there next to me. **High Fidelity** Love is what I do **The Wedding Singer** Xanadu - Best NEW Musical of the Season!