Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?

Sarah8 Profile Photo
Sarah8
#1Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 3:38am

I know it's super early, but Xanadu (sorry fanadu's) back me up. Do you agree that Kerry should be nominated at the very least if not win the Tony? I think she is adorable and incredibly talented!! I hope she is recognised cos she brings the house down!!!!!!!!

Sarah. C.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 3:42am

With someone named Jenna Russell crossing the pond this season - Butler's chances are slim slim slim.

Janki Profile Photo
Janki
#3re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 4:11am

ljay889....So true, so true Jenna Russell is amazing...saw her in "Guys and Dolls" and "SITPWG"! But I'm still kinda hoping for Kerry...

Popular...You're gonna be Popuular....;)

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#3re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 8:29am

I think Kerry definitely has a shot at a nomination. I'd be surprised if the nominating committee overlooked her performance after so many years in NY theatre.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#4re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 9:04am

Too early to know (obviously) if she would win, but she WILL get nominated.

jeffrey1dog Profile Photo
jeffrey1dog
#5re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 9:31am

She's amazing as Ki-rrrrrrra/Clio - just saying her name floors me evey time. I hope she's nominated.

< Patty Duke (the original Neely O'Hara) & me (March 8, 2010)

broadwayjim42
#6re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 9:34am

Since the reaction to her performance has been overwhelmingly positive, a nomination is a solid possibility. It may hinge on the Tony voters having a long memory and whether they consider the show too dippy to take seriously.

May be seeing it again on August 25--preferably onstage.:)

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#7re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 9:47am

I agree with all the posters , except ljay re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes? - and he's my friend now re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes? I hope Kerry Butler get the nomination ! She's is incredibly good in the role . Though its pretty early in the season... but let's not forget...
Avenue Q in 2004.

Worth mentioning too- Mary Testa & Jackie Hoffman ought be nominated for Featured
Actress and Douglas Carter Beane for Best Book re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?

J*
Updated On: 8/3/07 at 09:47 AM

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#8re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 9:50am

They're all good... But I think it's WAAAAAY too early to be making predictions without seeing what else comes along. I mean, it's still the only new musical that's opened, right?

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#9re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 9:54am

"SITPWG"!

What is that?

Why do you assume we all know what that means?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#10re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 10:08am

SITPWG .. Sunday in the Park With George

Its way too early to specualte about Tony nominations. And there are some huge musicals coming in ... Little Mermaid, Young Frankenstein ... plus Pal Joey probably at Roundabout, the Harvey Fierstein musical ... who knows what amazing performances are yet to come.

Tom148502
#11re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 10:41am

Has Butler learned to play anything except teenagers yet?

jeffrey1dog Profile Photo
jeffrey1dog
#12re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 10:57am

Tom148502 - Has Butler learned to play anything except teenagers yet?

Excuse me but.... Kerry Butler is 36 and her role is about 60ish (in muse years). So the answer to your question is a resounding yes, yes, yes! And she does it with humor, grace and style!

< Patty Duke (the original Neely O'Hara) & me (March 8, 2010)
Updated On: 8/3/07 at 10:57 AM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#13re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 11:11am

Tom, have you seen XANADU?

Didn't think so.

Don't go making judgments about a performance you have not seen in a show you have not seen.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#14re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 11:51am

Before people start talking about "guaranteed" nominations, can we pause for a moment and reflect upon Kristin Chenoweth in The Apple Tree, Ashley Brown in Mary Poppins, Lea Michele in Spring Awakening . . .

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#15re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 11:58am

^Oh that poor dead horse.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#16re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 12:09pm

Sing it, Smaxie!

Sing it loud.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

bertandrew2 Profile Photo
bertandrew2
#17re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 12:43pm

Tom, has she LEARNED to play anyone but teenagers?

Yes thats right. Stars just walk up to a show and say I am going to be in you.
No. She is CAST a certain way because of her type and look.

Blame casting directors, agents, directors, etc.

Ms. Butler is doing an excellent job in Xanadu.

No go eat some more sour graples, Tom.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#18re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 12:54pm

Please don't pick on my girl......hey ! She might even win the TONYS for Lead Actress Musical... you can't always say.....

re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?

Say it girl....

J*

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#19re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 12:54pm

It depends on what categories Sierra Boggesse, Sheri Rene Scott, Megan Mullally, and Sutton Foster get submitted in..

Madame Morrible: "So you take the chicken, now it must be a white chicken. The corpse can be any color. And that is the spell for lost luggage!" - The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#20re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 12:59pm

Before people start talking about "guaranteed" nominations, can we pause for a moment and reflect upon Kristin Chenoweth in The Apple Tree, Ashley Brown in Mary Poppins, Lea Michele in Spring Awakening . . .

- You are absolutely right. Usually some really strong performances sneak into the mix late in the season.

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#21re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 1:02pm

Flip sides of the argument:

The term "Kerry Butlered" is now a common phrase in musical theater terminology in relation to Kerry's "snub" for "Hairspray"

However, politically I don't think this is the role the tony voters would be most likely to acknowledge - not to mention that it opened so early in the season

Madame Morrible: "So you take the chicken, now it must be a white chicken. The corpse can be any color. And that is the spell for lost luggage!" - The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#22re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 1:07pm

Who cares if she's playing a "teenager" at her age. She looks and sounds the part.

Mary Martin played a teenager when she was 46 (Sound of Music) Ethel Merman played one at the age of 58 (Annie Get Your Gun) and neither of them could even come close to looking or sounding like a teenager.

MungoGypsy8232
#23re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 1:24pm

jaystarr, I'm with you on the fact that Mary Testa and Jackie Hoffman should be recognized, but I have a funny feeling it might end up being one or the other unfortunately, but I hope I'm wrong!

MungoGypsy8232
#24re: Kerry Butler's Tony hopes?
Posted: 8/3/07 at 1:25pm

Not that Laura Osnes has a chance at nomination, but do you think she'll be considered Leading because every review on this thread has said she has about 20 minutes onstage?