News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Picture Gallery. Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?

Picture Gallery. Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#1Picture Gallery. Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 12:51am

Who should play Norma Desmond?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 8/7/07 at 12:51 AM

musical_devotee Profile Photo
musical_devotee
#2re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 12:54am

I would prefer Meryl or Barbra over Glenn. Glenn just doesn't have the voice and this is a musical, so it should be sung properly. Glenn may have had a strong stage presence, but her voice....

Babs would be my first choice.

Heybeenfood Profile Photo
Heybeenfood
#2re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 12:54am

What happened to the prospect of Streisand as Mama Rose?

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#3re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 12:55am

I don't mean to be rude Muscle, but did we need another thread on this?

Since we where talking about in this thread earlier today.

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=862486&dt=76

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#4re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 1:01am

Meryl over Glenn over Barbra.

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#4re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 1:01am

Double Post

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley
Updated On: 8/7/07 at 01:01 AM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#6re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 1:04am

Glenn

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

muscle23ftl
#7re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 1:20am

I think that Glenn can sing the score very nicely, and she has the stage training of the role, she can act it like no one else.
She became Norma onstage. Meryl is excellent and Babs would be interesting and vocally very powerful, but I just think it's Glenn's role.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#8re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 1:38am

Meryl over Glenn over Barbra for me as well

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

goofy108 Profile Photo
goofy108
#9re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 1:45am

meryl.

muscle23ftl
#10re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 12:25pm

Barbra would be great, but I think we'd be always thinking "That's Barbra" and not that she is playing the role of Norma Desmond.
Meryl could be perfect for the role, but Glenn has worked so hard in this musical, I feel like its her role.

Shakespearean Profile Photo
Shakespearean
#11re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 12:30pm

I have to go with Glenn. Aside from the fact that she'll always be associated with the role, let's be honest... Barbara doesn't have 'The Face', which is so integral to the character's story, and Meryl's singing over Glenn's? Gotta go with Glenn.

It probably doesn't help my objectivity that I was listening to the Barnum cast album yesterday either...

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#12re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 12:37pm

As much as I'd like to hear Streisand, I couldn't buy her as a former silent-screen star. No one who looked like her would have been a major dramatic movie star in the 20s. My vote would go to Meryl.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#13re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 12:41pm

Glenn, then Meryl, then Barbra. I agree with the earlier post that it would be hard for people not to see "BARBRA!", instead of the character...

And some (many) have said that Close was "weak" voiced on stage, but this is a movie; it'll be rehearsed, then recorded in a studio, tweaked, etc.. She won't be needing to project across a 2000 seat house. Just display amazing screen charisma and a "rather good" voice. The record advance for her last run as Norma is also a pretty good sign for the box office.

LoringsGuy
#14re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 1:14pm

I'm a huge Barbra freak, but I just don't see her in this role.

As much as I admire Meryl, I don't really see her, either. Too subdued or something. Maybe it's her small eyes, which don't translate to "dramatic silent film star" to me.

Glenn, on the other hand, has the scary intensity, huge eyes, and slightly psychotic edge that seem perfect for Norma.

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#15re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 1:24pm

It's all about the Close. Glenn can sing the part better than Meryl, especially when it will be mixed and perfected in the studio. Glenn has the pathos and intensity down pat. Glenn will do big numbers at the box office, as she is now on a hot hit show, so long as they secure a hot leading man and a Betty Schaefer with star quality.

Barbra would never work. In all honesty, I think that would keep people away.

I would love if they find a Betty Schaefer who can sing the part instead of plugging in a star actress who cant sing. Everytime I hear Amanda Bynes on the HAIRSPRAY CD I cringe and LONG for Kerry Butler's soulful wailing. I wished they would have cast Penny with someone who could sing and hope they do the same for Betty.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

muscle23ftl
#16re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 1:27pm

Betty, I think that if Anne Hathaway can hit the notes, she'd be a good pick for Betty, also Emmy Rossum (with a good acting coach)

So far,

Glenn Close seems to be the favorite, with 6 votes, Streep close second, with 5 votes, and Babra has no votes =(

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#17re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 1:27pm

Though to be honest, I'd see this movie with any of them, even though I'm not a fan of this show at all, because I really am a fan of all three.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#18re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 1:40pm

The posters will be incredible if they pose the leads together seductively rather than using the stale street sign logo. The ads could be really hot.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

LoringsGuy
#19re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 1:55pm

For the teaser poster, how about a picture of Hugh (assuming he plays Joe) standing under a streetlight at the corner of Sunset Blvd., smoking a cigarette, looking very noir-ish, the "Hollywoodland" sign in the background, with a huge close-up of Glenn's eyes looming over it all?

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

muscle23ftl
#20re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 2:09pm

re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?

muscle23ftl
#21re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 2:13pm

LoringsGuy
#22re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 2:13pm

I guess we know who Muscle23 wants in the role... re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?

muscle23ftl
#23re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 2:16pm

No, I love Babs, it's just the 1st pic I found of hers.

pc1145N2 Profile Photo
pc1145N2
#24re: Barbra, Glenn or Meryl for SUNSET BLVD?
Posted: 8/7/07 at 2:18pm

If the show has a strong director AND Barbra allows herself to be directed....she'd be phenominal. What a magical return to Broadway it could be for her....IF she allows herself to be directed.

....and imagine THAT stage door!

Videos