GREY GARDENS LONDON

MyGreyGardens Profile Photo
MyGreyGardens
#1GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 4:38pm

We have had a good number of emails at our website regarding the London production of Grey Gardens. Despite some very official looking news on other web sites, we have it from VERY reliable sources that NOTHING is set or signed. We were promised to be one of the "first to know". If there are any London fans, or any other fans for that matter that want to know as soon as we do, please join our mailing list at www.mygreygardens.com From our end, we REALLY hope this happens.... This is much too good of a show to have only run less than a year on Broadway !! 10 Tony nods and 3 wins !! C'mon now....This is a terrific show...
MyGreyGardens

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 4:49pm

Unfortunately, due the tremendous financial loss the producers and backers experienced with GREY GARDENS' run on Broadway -- plans to open the show in London as well as the mounting of a US National Tour are no longer being considered.

The plans were in development after the show opened (on Broadway) and it received acclaim. After box office attendance didn't reach what they expected, plus the excalating decline in box office revenue, the producers terminated any future and additional plans for the show.

MimiJudith Profile Photo
MimiJudith
#2re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 5:08pm

What a shame.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#3re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 5:10pm

"The most atrocious, despicable thing EVER to happen in America." NO LIE!!! Why can't a non-profit back this show?

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#4re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 5:30pm

My source out of New York told me 2 weeks before the show closed in New York that London was probably a no go.

Just give the world Love.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#5re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 5:37pm

I gotta get me some "sources".

Cool site, though.

PEACE.

DayDreamer Profile Photo
DayDreamer
#6re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 5:40pm

Will it be licensed to regional theaters?

Celebrate Life

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. - Randy Pausch

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#7re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 5:41pm

Actually I shouldn't say "source". A close friend had dinner with someone very close to the show and they discussed it.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#8re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 5:43pm

Oh, the old "friend of a friend of a friend" source. Those I got.

PEACE.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#9re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 5:53pm

No. Not that at all. A close friend. Period. I don't do the friend of a friend of a friend thing. And this close friend is also very close to the business.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#10re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 6:08pm

Well ACTUALLY as of last Friday, it's still a possibility. It is absolutely not a "no" at this point.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#11re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 6:15pm

That's why I said probably.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#12re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 7:06pm

BrodyFosse123, with all due respect (which isn't much), what kind of an authority are you to state your opinion as a fact? Some nobody out in Nowheresville not even close to New York.

And where are the pictures, I ask? Your posts always include such lovely pictures along with your meaningless commentary.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

TLKfan Profile Photo
TLKfan
#13re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 8:19pm

I would love to see the show again. I was hoping that it would be in London when I go next year. re: GREY GARDENS LONDON Well, here's hoping for something.

2008 European Tour
London: Les Mis, Lion King, Sound of Music, Joseph, Hairspray, Billy Elliot
France: Le Roi Lion, Cabaret
Germany: Der Konig der Lowen
Holland: Tarzan & Les Mis

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
#14re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 8:25pm

Does anyone else feel as though Grey Gardens would be much more appreciated by the public in London anyway?

I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.

bwaylvsong
#15re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 8:54pm

If you had asked that a year or two ago, I would have said "absolutely". However, judging by which musicals are doing well in London, I would say "no".

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#16re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 9:07pm

Im in London. I uspect we will see this show at some time in the future but not as we know it! Watch this space.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

MyGreyGardens Profile Photo
MyGreyGardens
#17re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 9:15pm

A good point, but it could go either way I think. The only thing that I had thought about in a negative way was the fact that the whole story was very" New York", meaning that it was all over the news when the health department came down on the Beales, and cousin Jackie O bailed them out ? People in the UK most likely never heard about it. I know very little about theatre in London, but I DO know music, and the Brits are MUCH more loyal fans than Americans, especially in regard to the legends. GG is a difficult sell, which is a shame, cause it's not only a very touching story, but the musical adaptation from a documentary no less, was quite a challange, and done so wonderfully,if I may say so myself. Christine Ebersole is brilliant ! Now its off to Hollywood to become a feature film starring Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lang !
MyGreyGardens

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#18re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 9:37pm

Wanna Be a Foster. I live several months out of the year in both NYC and Miami Lakes, FL. I have homes in both places so I call both cities my 'home'. I have numerous acquaintances in the Broadway community who provide me with the half-ass info I rightfully throw out as fact.

Thanks for your interest and your comments are always appreciated.

Enjoy the pies, my dear man.

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#19re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 9:43pm

MGG, I think it would be more appreciated because Americans are only really into mainstream, Hollywood adaptations. They enjoy musicals that they are sure-fire entertainment, musicals they "trust". I think GG failed in NYC because not enough people were interested in it because it is different and not fluff. I think the Brits would appreciate it more because they don't know the story and because it is original. I don't think most tourists going to NYC even knew the whole deal with the Beales and Grey Gardens.

Just my two cents.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#20re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 9:52pm

It was also very poorly advertised.

BroadwayEnthusiast2
#21re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 9:55pm

VERY poorly advertised.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
#22re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 9:56pm

Agreed BroadwayEnthusiast.

I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#23re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 9:59pm

I think that the STELLAR reviews they got (like "the best performance I have ever seen" ones) were not advertised as heavily as they could have been.

There should have been a massive sign in the middle of Times Square with that quote plastered on the top and Christine's covered face with a background of green.

BroadwayEnthusiast2
#24re: GREY GARDENS LONDON
Posted: 8/22/07 at 10:06pm

Remember that bus and all those "Radical Debutante" posters?

Updated On: 8/22/07 at 10:06 PM

Videos