pixeltracker

Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?

Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?
Posted: 10/14/07 at 11:15pm

Hello. I did a search and found a similar thread.. which was begun by someone named CapnHook (dated 12-31-03). It bears repeating... There's a Museum of Television and Radio and other great museums in NYC. Has there ever been a concerted effort to formally establish a Museum of Broadway... Museum of Theatre? There's so much theatre history in NYC. It would be another fantastic place to visit. Imagine a place where you could buy Broadway memorabilia..... listen to Broadway stars of the past and present recall their glory days... in audio and video form. A place to memorialize Broadway performers whose lives ended way too short. A place to remember those fabulous theatre houses that have been felled by the wrecking ball. Imagine all of the Broadway associated materials that people have collected over the years that don't have a proper repository for future use and display.
The possibilities are endless...Something worthwhile, for sure. from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Clara's Pony Profile Photo
Clara's Pony
#2re: Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?
Posted: 10/14/07 at 11:25pm

There used to be a Theatre Museum in London, but the visitor numbers were very low (not aided by some pretty poor and outdated exhibits). So now it's been closed indefinitely. It's a shame since it was in a prime location (Covent Garden) - so it's a cautionary tale. But with a bit of vision and some decent exhibits there's no reason why a museum of theatre, either in London or NY, shouldn't be successful.

Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...

sing_dance_love Profile Photo
sing_dance_love
#2re: Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?
Posted: 10/14/07 at 11:25pm

I think that is a beyond fantatsic idea. And I hope someone who has the means to make it happen hopefully takes notice. Maybe some letters to the mayor/govenor would help?

"...and in a bed."

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#3re: Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?
Posted: 10/14/07 at 11:32pm

I remember creating that thread....

Whatever happened to this Broadway Walk of Fame, similar to the Hollywood Walk of Fame, that was planned?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#4re: Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?
Posted: 10/14/07 at 11:34pm

Years ago, maybe late 70s or early 80s, there was a Broadway museum that was located in the Minskoff Theatre breezeway. It wasn't a huge place, but it had some nice costume and picture displays that gave you a quick history of Broadway and some of the landmark musicals. I can't remember when it closed, or if the space is now used for shows at the Minskoff.

More recently, there was talk of turning a Broadway theatre over permanently to become a sort of virtual reality Broadway experience. I think the house that was under discussion was the Lyceum. That idea always seemed a bit too mummified for my taste.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

henryt
#5re: Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?
Posted: 10/14/07 at 11:35pm

It would work, but it would definitely need the correct execution. It would have to be interesting and updated often. Also, location is very important. I don't think it would ever survive more than five blocks outside of Times Square. Maybe they could use Barcode. I don't know how big the space is, but it's been empty for years.

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#6re: Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?
Posted: 10/14/07 at 11:46pm

There was a small exhibit at the lincoln center library too which was really nice although rather small.

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

gertiecummings Profile Photo
gertiecummings
#7re: Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?
Posted: 10/15/07 at 12:20am

Not theatre, but I know in Hollywood they have been trying to get an Actor Hall of Fame going for years.

deadparrot
#8re: Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?
Posted: 10/15/07 at 12:46am

As someone going into museum studies, I have to say that something like that would be my dream job.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#9re: Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?
Posted: 10/15/07 at 12:54am

The Museum of the City of New York has an ongoing theatre exhibit.

http://www.ny.com/cgibin/frame.cgi?url=http://www.mcny.org/&frame=/frame/museums.html

Just give the world Love.

MrBundles Profile Photo
MrBundles
#10re: Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?
Posted: 10/15/07 at 1:28am

I'm so glad I got to go to the Theatre Museum in London right before it closed. It was fantastic!

Your fupa is showing.

henryt
#11re: Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?
Posted: 10/15/07 at 1:32am

I wish that Madame Tussaud's would beef up it's Broadway section. At one point, it had Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick in front of The Producers poster. Now, they have to pieces from The Lion King. It would be nice if they could put in some classic Broadway performers. I would love a room with Ethel Merman, Jerry Orbach, Barbra Streisand, Zero Mostel, Bernadette Peters, Patti LuPone etc.

Wavetree Profile Photo
Wavetree
#12re: Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?
Posted: 10/15/07 at 7:53am

Actually there IS a theatre museum in New York- it just doesn't have a permanent gallery space yet. They have an admin office on 7th Ave. and are collaborating on exhibitions with other museums until they find their own home. I worked at The Theatre Museum this summer and had an absolutely amazing time, I would highly recommend anyone who is interested in museum work and/or theatre getting involved with this organization. You can check out the website, www.TheTheatreMuseum.org, or just e-mail the president, Helen Guditis, at hmguditis@thetheatremuseum.org. She would seriously be thrilled to have more people volunteering and is great with coordinating internship work for students.

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#13re: Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?
Posted: 10/15/07 at 8:50am

Years ago there was a wonderful exhibit of important theatrical items from the Theatre Collection of the Museum of the City of New York. It was somewhere in mid-town and lasted several months. I remember seeing one of the costumes worn by Ethel Merman in GYPSY, some of the fairy dust sprinkled by Peter Pan, a memorial silver platter with the engraved autographs of famous stars who attended the opening of the original production of Porgy and Bess in 1935, tons of tantilizing photographs, and on and on. I spent several hours at this exhibit. The Museun published a beautiful book about its collection. I don't know if it is still available. It is somewhere in my cluttered book collection. The Theatre Collection of the Museum of the City of New York is located somewhat out of the way at 5th Avenue and 103rd Street.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

IssaMe
#14re: Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?
Posted: 10/15/07 at 9:34am

The Theater museum project you refer to has been around for almost 15 years with Helen Guditis trying to find funding and space for it. It has had many different groups of backers, producers, and boards of directors. It has investigated using theaters such as the Belasco to be turned over to become a museum. It has looked at other space and other alternatives. It doesn't seem to have pulled it off yet.

Meanwhile, its other projects such as annual awards for people of distinction in the theater in various categories, in-school theater programs, and individual theater exhibits around town have been highly successful. These projects are quite valid but I wouldn't hold my breath for seeing a theater museum on Broadway...it didn't work in London, and it is doubtful that after almost two decades of trying that it is going to happen in New York City in the foreseeable future - unless it gets a big sponsor who could do it on a large scale to make it a real tourist attraction.

Right now, for good or for ill, Broadway's theater museum is Broadway itself.

Ed_Mottershead
#15re: Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?
Posted: 10/15/07 at 12:19pm

I remember the small museum under the Minskoff theatre sometime in the mid-'80s. It was small, but the displays were nice. Also, they showed filmed interviews that were shown for a limited time each -- one with Helen Hayes, another with Ethel Merman, and a third with someone I've fogotten. It was a nice little spot. However, at the times I went, there was hardly anyone else in the place. I would guess this had something to do with its being discontinued.

BroadwayEd

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#16re: Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?
Posted: 10/15/07 at 6:09pm

I once had an idea to put it in the New Amsterdam

It would make sense to put it in an older house that is a little off the beaten track & is too small for large shows like the Belasco or Lyceum

My idea was really detailed but alas it will never be.

Poster Emeritus

Wavetree Profile Photo
Wavetree
#17re: Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?
Posted: 10/15/07 at 7:08pm

I should also mention that The Theatre Museum is holding an event this weekend with the Waterfront Museum in Red Hook, Brooklyn for their "Showboat 'Round the Bend" exhibition. From noon- 6pm on Sat. Oct. 20 and Sun. Oct. 21 they're holding a panel discussion with writers and scholars about the history of the American showboat and featuring performances from the musical Show Boat. Red Hook is kind of a hike if you don't live in Brooklyn, but the Waterfront Museum (which is an actual showboat barge) is on a really beautiful spot and worth the journey if you have some time. More info is on the website, www.TheTheatreMuseum.org

ItsCalledHistory
#18re: Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?
Posted: 10/15/07 at 7:50pm

Three things are needed.

(1) Proper funding, and lots of it. This has to be a museum that's going to be around for a while and private donations is just the tip of the iceberg. Money needs to be allocated by the goverment.

(2) Location. What is the heart of Theatre in New York? Broadway. Times Square. I'm not ready to give up any theatre for a museum, so it needs to be an actual building. Why not the old Times building? Not the recently vacated one, the one before that - One Times Square. What's going on in there? Remember when it was a Warner Brothers store? Didn't work as a retail space. I could be wrong, but I don't think anything is happening in there. With a bit of internal renovation (again, need that funding) it could be a great place to showcase Theatre.

(3) Finally, a kick-ass collection. I don't want window cards taped up on a wall here, or just a bunch of playbills in a display case. I want set pieces and original costumes. I want the rehearsal piano John Kander plunked notes out on during rehearsals for GYPSY. I want a well thought out exhbition on vaudeville or burlesque. Who can give this to us? The Smithsonian, for one. They're collection includes both Carol Channing's AND Phyllis Diller's red Dolly Levi dress from Hello, Dolly. They have Ann Miller's tap shoes. They have a Gypsy Robe. The list goes on and so much of their collection isn't even on view for the public.

Just my two cents.

henryt
#19re: Museum of Broadway? Museum of Theatre?
Posted: 10/15/07 at 8:30pm

That is the kind of follow through that this project would need to get done! If only we held all the power.