pixeltracker

What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?

What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#1What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/4/07 at 7:32pm

Gladys posted a really interesting observation regarding Seafarer, a show I am not aware of, and the very next post is "What is the running time?"
Seriously? Is that how you decide what shows to see? So it is 5 and half hours without intermission! If it is good you won't even notice. If you have a bladder problem go before hand and wear depends.
I realize people have to schedule things in their lives, but is that REALLY what you are most interested in? The RUNNING TIME?

I realize people have to schedule trains and all, but come on, if you want to see it badly enough you will find a way to stay until the final curtain.

PEACE.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/4/07 at 7:35pm

I'm more concerned with who gets standby positions on 2nd national tours.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#2re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/4/07 at 7:37pm

Or what the show curtain looked like or who signed at the stage door...

PEACE.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#3re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/4/07 at 7:43pm

Or, if the new lobby cards had arrived...

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#4re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/4/07 at 7:51pm

Dont get me started on these kind of things guys! Why do most people make a night out at the theatre such a chore with questions questions questions. It never used to be like this1 Oh and all these ////// seating questions!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

Ed_Mottershead
#5re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/4/07 at 7:53pm

If you come from out of town (like me) and are not staying in the city overnight, it's important to know ahead of time so you can plan your schedule accordingly. If a show has a running time of, say 2 hours, getting home doesn't present a problem. If it has a running time of 3+ hours, you know to book a hotel and spend the night. it's not meant in any disrespect to the show in question. If I have to book a hotel, I'll book a hotel; if I don't, I won't.

BroadwayEd

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#6re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/4/07 at 8:00pm

I like to know the running time if I have plans with other people after a show. Last year my best friend vacationed with me in NYC and it was his first time in the city. Twice he went to a show alone and I needed to be at the theater to meet him when the show ended. I didn't want him getting lost in the city. With that said, running times do not affect what I see. If I have plans after a show, they happen whenever the show is over.

Just give the world Love.

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#7re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/4/07 at 8:02pm

If a show isn't that great and it's short, then its exactly that, not that great.

If a show isn't that great and is very long it is possatively dreadful.

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

ThankstoPhantom
#8re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/4/07 at 8:03pm

Instead of asking you can always go to one of the several wesbites that features the running time prominantly.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
Updated On: 11/4/07 at 08:03 PM

JasonM12480
#9re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/4/07 at 8:27pm

Yes, but most people on here are not intelligent enough to do their own homework and find these things out for themselves. LOL

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#10re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/4/07 at 8:30pm

And it seems to be the most IMPORTANT thing to some people.
Yes, there are times when you need to know what time a show will get out, but often people ask this question as if nothing else matters.

PEACE.

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#11re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/4/07 at 8:39pm

Oh I definitely agree, it's odd that people would think it's the msot important thing. I was just trying to look at it from another point of view and I must admit, I would have enjoyed A Moon For the Misbegotten a LOT more had it been shorter by the end of it my mind was off of the play and I was just getting itchy. Rent on the other hand is a show that I think is too long but its still one of my favorites and it doesn't really affect my experiance. So basically what I'm saying, at the risk of being repetative, I can understand why people care but I agree it is certainly NOT the most important thing and also people should be able to figure it out on their own.

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#12re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/4/07 at 8:39pm

When something is in previews, I like to ask because the times may change a bit (recent case in point: Speech and Debate was shortened by about 15 minutes). Now, I already had my tickets, but I asked so I could see if I wanted to plan for a drink after the show. And also, if something is in previews and no official reviews have come in, sometimes you like the safety of knowing you won't be stuck at something dreadful for hours. If I hadn't known The Farnsworth Invention were only two hours, I would have run screaming at intermission. As it was, I muddled through act 2, though, come to think of it, now I'm not sure it was even worth the short running time.

Puppetguy Profile Photo
Puppetguy
#13re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/4/07 at 8:43pm

What's the run time on this thread?

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#14re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/4/07 at 8:46pm

But that is the thing, the running time should have nothing to do with the QUALITY of a show or one's desire to see it. Would you rather see a crappy show that is only 90 minutes but seems like HOURS or a FANTASTIC show whose 4 hour running time flies by like nothing? If you go in knowing it is 4 hours, your expectations are going to be different, "This had better be GOOD, Damn it!" or, "How bad can it be? It is only 90 minutes!"

PEACE.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#15re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/4/07 at 8:57pm

Is the running time affected by whether or not a standby performs?

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#16re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/4/07 at 8:59pm

I might be going out on a limb here... but what if these people AREN'T connecting running-time with quality? Maybe they just want to know.

What time they're going to get home? How dark outside? Others might like knowing there's an intermission.

Personally, while I don't like being obsessed with running-times, I also don't like walking home late on the streets of Brooklyn. Like to plan ahead.

Roscoe
#17re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/4/07 at 9:04pm

I think it is perfectly valid to be concerned with running times. I've never let the length of a play or film stop me from seeing it, but I have let the length of a play or film decide when I see it. I'll be in better shape to appreciate something three hours long if I haven't had eight hours of work before it.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

MaronaDavies
#18re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/4/07 at 9:16pm

Eugloven--very well said. The running time's not the most important thing, but you do need to know it, particularly if you're trying to coordinate train and bus schedules, set up an after-theatre dinner reservation, plan ahead, whatever. Ten minutes can mean the difference between getting home and missing the last train of the night.

And although running times are listed elsewhere, they're not always 100% correct. As someone mentioned, running times change in previews; they can also change depending on the lead actors, how fast the musical director is going, etc. I don't see why it's a big deal if someone asks about it here.

Bwayfan4
#19re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/4/07 at 9:17pm

Like Ed said, I am coming from out of town, so its kind of important that I have a general idea of the running time, so I know which bus to take home!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#20re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/5/07 at 9:59am

I usually want to know the running time when I am tryng to coordinate post-show transportation (depending on the city and situation), dinner reservations, or meeting with friends.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#21re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/5/07 at 3:31pm

I like to break it down to "cost per minute" so I can be sure I will select the show that gives me the biggest bang for the buck!

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#22re: What is with the obsession of RUNNING TIMES?
Posted: 11/5/07 at 3:52pm

I think asking the running time is a perfectly legitimate question. People have their own reasons for asking it, and it doesn't bother me a bit.

Of course, working in a theater is another whole story-we like short running times!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Videos