pixeltracker

So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?

So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#1So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 9:02pm

Seriously, I can't believe the amount of energy Bww's have put into this loss. They've even gone so far to insult Pierce for losing, as if he had anything to do with the decision.

What bothers me is that most of the Esparza heads who wanted him to win haven't even seen Pierce's enchanting performance. And why would they, there aren't any hunks in the cast or tween idols.

I just can't suppoort a performance that seemed to mock my favorite musical of all time, gave th emost over-the-top Tony performance in recent memory, and seemed to mock th ematerial he was working with...as in: "This is a Company for those who hate Company.". Ugh.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#2re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 9:05pm

you do know this is the real reason why local one is picketing.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."
Updated On: 11/12/07 at 09:05 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#2re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 9:08pm

Raul Esparza is a regular Zoe Caldwell you know!

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#3re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 9:11pm

Local One was so pissed that Patti lost to LaChanze already, but Pierce beating Esparza was the final straw, from what I heard.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#4re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 9:16pm

actually I heard they were mad since Mz Peters lost with Gypsy all those years ago...

And Ragtime closing....

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

ashley0139
#5re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 9:33pm

I have seen both performances. I loved Curtains a lot, but I still didn't think Pierce's performance could compare with the nuanced and brilliant performance Esparza gave. I appreciate that people liked Pierce's performance, and would certainly never insult him because of this, but I will never stop thinking that Esparza should have won that Tony.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#6re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 9:46pm

And, dare we mention that time when Tonya Pinkins lost to that green woman?

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#7re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 9:49pm

I heard Raul lost because sondheim only likes red m&ms

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#8re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 9:53pm

We are?

I haven't seen (or made!) posts about it in months. Why this rant now? Months later, it's kind of coming out of nowhere. And honestly, if people haven't been "complaining" -- or really takling much -- about it for quite some time, why the need to attack an entire set of people's opinions months after the fact? Nobody's still complaining. You made a huge (false) general accusation of people for harping on it, yet you seem to be the only one interested in bringing it up.

(And of course, since you went and started this thread, now, conveniently, people are talking about it -- so now you can say that look, people are in fact complaining. How about that? As it happens, though, being that there's only re-voicing of opinion because you've provoked it, people are really only talking about it again. Not "still.")

To be honest, it surprises (and saddens) me to see this from you.

For the record, I adore David Hyde Pierce, and while I will probably always vehemently disagree with the voting outcome, I think the people who were insulting HIM were way out of line -- he didn't make the decision. He didn't go in and choose to take the Tony. People voted to award it to him. (Also, I saw all five of the nominees. BEFORE the Tonys.)

Also, I think it's a shame that people are so quick to up and assume that one isolated performance, completely out of context and completely altered from what it was on stage, is at all indicative of what you would've seen at the Barrymore. Really, I've seen this assumption from so many people who I thought were smarter than that. Why does that one performance mean that that all the rest of them were just exactly that way?

I loved that revival more than I have ever loved any piece of theater before. And I believed in it unfalteringly. It was anything BUT a "Company for people who hate Company." It was a Company for people who were willing to take a chance on something a little bit different, and not put their heads in the sand, pretending we were still in 1970. Maybe it was a Company for people who were discovering it for the first time, but even still, that hardly made it a mockery.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 11/13/07 at 09:53 PM

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#9re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 9:55pm

TO quote Bernadette upon the opening of the Best Actor envelope!

"...oy!"

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#10re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 10:00pm

Of course, Bernadette was struggling with the envelope, not making a reaction to the outcome. But you knew that.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Craww
#11re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 10:12pm

gave th emost over-the-top Tony performance in recent memory

So, if Tony performances are a fair judging point for an entire production, it's fair for me to say that Curtains was boring and almost completely charmless?

This thread is so completely out of nowhere. I hope people aren't still complaining about it, because I thought we'd moved onto the stage where I could openly mock Raul Esparza for being a Tony loser. re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?

Thesbijean
#12re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 10:17pm

I'm not cause DHP deserved it.

Rotel1026
#13re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 10:20pm

Have you been hiding under a rock? We are all about the strike nowadays, Raul losing is so 6 months ago.

timote316
#14re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 10:34pm

I, too, have seen both... and I agree with what ashley said 100%.

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#15re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 10:41pm

I saw Raul in Company and loved him! I really expected him to win. After Pierce won, I wanted to see his performance so that I could make a judgment for myself. However, I will probably not be able to see him because my tickets are for next week and the strike doesn't seem to be getting any closer to becoming resolved. See! I connected this thread to the strike! Yay!

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#16re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 10:54pm

I like to joke with my theater friends about how David Hyde Pierce is too busy stealing awards to do much TV work these days, but here's the dirty little secret: I don't actually believe that.

My opinion: the whole issue is, for me, just not worth it anymore. I watch Raul's performance of "Marry Me a Little" and get very, VERY angry again, and then I remember Pierce's amazing award speech and feel guilty about being angry, and then I'm guilty that I'm not angry anymore, and...

It's just too much, you see. My personal therapy: watching Raul on the American Theater Wing Performance video, or on YouTube, and being so grateful that he's actually around. And, of course, being secure that, for now, Raul is the frontrunner for next year's Best Featured Actor in a Play award.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#17re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 10:57pm

And, of course, being secure that, for now, Raul is the frontrunner for next year's Best Featured Actor in a Play award

I would love to be able to agree, but how can you tell enough to say that? Most of the plays haven't even opened yet. How can you possibly be secure of that on any legitimate basis -- anywhere but in your own personal fantasy because you want it to be true? A fantasy you certainly share with a great many people, but ultimately one based on very little.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#18re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 10:58pm

BobbyBubby -- or should I just call you Rip Van Winkle? Because you seem to have suddenly woken from a 5 month stupor.

Or mabye you got caught in a time warp and you’re suddenly reading posts from June. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY! has been discussing this anywhere on BWW for nearly 5 months!

What earthly, sane reason could you possibly have for digging up such ancient history now??

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

misschung
#19re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?

Maintaining that the play actually opens

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#20re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?

Here's my theory:

Raul Esparza is a seasoned Broadway performer with many successful shows (and non-successful) under his belt. He will go on in the future to many greater shows and greater performances. His future in this industry is still bright and he'll have his day. He still has many chances to win a Tony for Best Actor in a Musical.

David Hyde Pierce though...do you really see him going as many places in the future? He is a very talented man, but not a seasoned Broadway performer. Yes, he has been in the original cast of two great shows, but he is not known as solely a Broadway performer. He won't have many chances in the future to win a Tony. Therefore, he was awarded this year...while his career is still hot.

It's the same reason Kate Winslet has yet to win an Oscar...or Johnny Depp.

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

BDrischBDemented
#21re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 10:59pm

I was also not aware that this was still a topic of relevance.

Love them both. Pierce is charming and talented and got a role that works splendidly with his abilities as a character actor. He was rightfully awarded a Tony. Raul will have his chance someday, no doubt.

"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#22re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 11:01pm

I swear, I just put Company in before I came across this thread!

Just give the world Love.

misschung
#23re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 11:02pm

What earthly, sane reason could you possibly have for digging up such ancient history now??

It's those lost posts - they're throwing off everyone's sense of time

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#24re: So...are people still COMPLAINING about Esparza losing?
Posted: 11/12/07 at 11:05pm

I would love to be able to agree, but how can you tell enough to say that? Most of the plays haven't even opened yet. How can you possibly be secure of that on any legitimate basis -- anywhere but in your own personal fantasy because you want it to be true? A fantasy you certainly share with a great many people, but ultimately one based on very little.

Very true, luvtheEmcee. Here is my reasoning (aside from the personal fantasy):

1) The role Raul is playing won the Tony in its' original production.

2) The role is certainly flashy, something Raul is known for.

3) This one actually concerns the Academy Awards, but I think it applies: Judi Dench winning Best Supporting Actress for SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE in a role that lasted all of eight minutes - but she was well-loved, you see. And she hadn't won the year before for her role in MRS. BROWN.

I certainly hope this reason doesn't apply, that Raul's performance is good enough to justify the award, but, sadly it could happen.

4) Did you notice the "for now" I put in my prediction? Of course things might change - but he's the frontrunner FOR NOW.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

Videos