Little House on the Prairie Musical

Little House on the Prairie Musical

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#1Little House on the Prairie Musical
Posted: 11/17/07 at 9:22am

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/112735.html

Discuss

I love Little House. Though I can't picture it as a musical, I would still love to see this do well! Wish I could have been there for the reading!

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

colleen_lee
#2re: Little House on the Prairie Musical
Posted: 11/17/07 at 9:28am

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=948706#3314250

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

MusicalMo
#2re: Little House on the Prairie Musical
Posted: 1/13/09 at 11:41pm

Does any one know of any sound clips or where I might get/hear some of the music from Little House on the Prairie? I thought the Guthrie site might have had some sound clips or something, but no. Surely there is something out there. I just can't find anything in my searches.

Thanks a lot!!

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#5re: Little House on the Prairie Musical
Posted: 1/14/09 at 9:38pm

I really loved this show and hope it gets recorded (my theory is if HAPPY DAYS can get recorded, there's a chance for this one). I wrote about it on my blog.

If interested:
http://broadwaymouth.blogspot.com/2008/10/little-house-on-prairie.html

and

http://broadwaymouth.blogspot.com/2008/10/little-house-on-prairie-show-doctor-is.html

People who saw it were mixed overall, with many really liking it and many thinking it was okay.
Broadway Mouth: Izzy’s First Musical: High School Musical 3 (Part 1, Her Response)

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#6re: Little House on the Prairie Musical
Posted: 1/20/09 at 11:31pm

Has anybody seen the production at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts? It opened Dec. 15th. I'm curious to read more reviews about this musical. It was sold out in Minn. There are plans to tour it nationally fall of 09.

Little House on the Prairie to Play the Denver Center in December

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

LadyDramaturg2
#7re: Little House on the Prairie Musical
Posted: 1/22/09 at 9:40pm

musicaltheater1: The show is scheduled to play in Denver A YEAR FROM NOW, so it hasn't opened yet -- read that playbill article a little more closely.

It is true that the Guthrie run was sold out, and I believe the show was extended two or three weeks (could be wrong)...

Anyone who has followed the history of this show will recognize that there have been significant changes since its inception, and I'd guess that there would be continued work and refinement.

A couple of the songs are truly soaring - top notch - imho, and the rest of the score is serviceable...but there probably needs to be some more work on making the story feel really compelling. To distill all of the "story" in Engalls' beloved books into a two - two and a half hour show is impossible, really, but the chunk they've taken on can probably be focused a little better. It would be really surprising if they weren't punching up before they begin a tour, right?

There's probably reason to be optimistic about this as a touring show; let's not shoot it down until we see what they've come up with.

beltingbaritone Profile Photo
beltingbaritone
#8re: Little House on the Prairie Musical
Posted: 1/22/09 at 9:42pm

I think this could be really amazing.

Men don't even belt.

dg22894
#9re: Little House on the Prairie Musical
Posted: 1/22/09 at 9:47pm

It could be really good.

rgaywrites Profile Photo
rgaywrites
#10re: Little House on the Prairie Musical
Posted: 1/23/09 at 4:04pm

I saw the show in Minneapolis twice and if you search for Little House you can find my review. The show has great potential, but in its current incarnation it is quite disastrous. The creative team made so many baffling choices, you really have to see the show to understand. Having said that, there were some nice moments and the cast, for the most part, was great, doing the best with a very very weak script and some insane directing.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#11re: Little House on the Prairie Musical - Denver review
Posted: 12/17/09 at 10:59am

musicaltheater, I attended the opening night here in Denver on Tues. Here is my review. Apologies for the typos. Tried to edit them but the system would not accept the changes. Going to try to get it done from the office.

https://denver.broadwayworld.com/article/REVIEW_Little_House_on_the_Prairie_settles_into_Denver_20091217

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 12/17/09 at 10:59 AM

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#12re: Little House on the Prairie Musical - Denver review
Posted: 12/17/09 at 10:46pm

Nice review and thanks, uncageg.

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

doubleentendre
#13re: Little House on the Prairie Musical - Denver review
Posted: 12/17/09 at 11:36pm

I saw, and worked on, this show when it premiered at New York Stage and Film in 2006...despite a cast of absolute talent (Greg Edelman, Heidi Blickenstaff (as a last minute and FABULOUS replacement for Marla Schaffel), Sean Palmer and Sara Chase) that show was a real big snooze fest. I hope it's had some major edits since back then, but I'm not hopeful that it has. Is there still a Watermelon song and "You Are My Eyes" or whatever that crazy song Mary sings to Laura is?

rgaywrites Profile Photo
rgaywrites
#14re: Little House on the Prairie Musical - Denver review
Posted: 12/17/09 at 11:45pm

That crazy I Will Be Your Eyes is definitely still in the show and one of the more cringeworthy spectacles I've seen in recent memory but definitely not due to a lack of talent in the cast. The cast was great working with subpar material.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#15re: Little House on the Prairie Musical - Denver review
Posted: 12/17/09 at 11:50pm

I don't remember a watermelon song!! None listed in the program!

If "I'll be your eyes" was written a bit better, it would be a good song. Maybe even memorable.

Just give the world Love.

doubleentendre
#16re: Little House on the Prairie Musical - Denver review
Posted: 12/18/09 at 4:00pm

If I wasn't in the process of moving, I'd go dig out the program from the NYS&F production and see exactly what that watermelon song was actually called. But it's hidden away in a box somewhere.

I'll Be Your Eyes (I KNEW It wasn't You Are My Eyes, but I was close) has potential, but it's just...wrong as it is now (and was back then). Definitely cringeworthy.

All I can recall about the watermelon song was they sang it at a picnic or hoedown or some other town gathering. It, to the best of my memory, featured Ma and Laura. I vaguely remember hay bales and hula hoops (i think the hula hoops were supposed to be those rings that you push with a stick...).

BroadwayBen
#17re: Little House on the Prairie Musical - Denver review
Posted: 12/18/09 at 10:09pm

Are they making a recording?

DivaBrigader Profile Photo
DivaBrigader
#18re: Little House on the Prairie Musical - Denver review
Posted: 3/9/10 at 7:39pm

Has anybody seen this lately who has any kind of dish on Melissa Gilbert at the stagedoor? Coming out? Not coming out? She did not sign the night I saw it at Papermill but I have the opportunity to see it in another city and I'm wondering if I should travel with my poster and a Sharpie or if it's a waste.