News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows

This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows

massofmen
#1This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 12:08am

Les MIs, Drowsy, Blonde, Grinch, Rent, ..any others?
this is disgusting. Get your fat lazy butts BACK to the damn table and finish this.
Who does this hurt? Airlines (people won't be flying in), restaurants, waiters, parking attendants, souvenir people, taxis, COLONy....shall I go on?
congrats Local 1, i hope you get everything you want for xmas. Because all those shows you just closed will have a very sad Holiday season. This is pathetic.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#2re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 12:11am

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/112888.html

The league walked away from the table tonight, not the stagehands.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

AngActing Profile Photo
AngActing
#2re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 12:11am

You know what, I agree with you . . .
I am totally pissed off at Local 1 and the f&$king League!!!

I didn't have any plans to see shows . . . but his is just plain wrong now, obnoxious, disgusting and rude! A way of life shut down by selfish people wanting it all and neither side compromising to get an American classic back on board!!!

Will we lose "Wicked" as well? That may kill me!

Love and Stage Lights, Angela Theresa

homeonstage
#3re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 12:12am

Are you joking?

you must be.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#4re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 12:14am

If everything else were to close- Wicked would still be around. They have been at 100% for years.

Timmer
#5re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 12:14am

"Les MIs, Drowsy, Blonde, Grinch, Rent, ..any others?
this is disgusting. Get your fat lazy butts BACK to the damn table and finish this.
"Who does this hurt? Airlines (people won't be flying in), restaurants, waiters, parking attendants, souvenir people, taxis, COLONy....shall I go on?
"congrats Local 1, i hope you get everything you want for xmas. Because all those shows you just closed will have a very sad Holiday season. This is pathetic."

And you know what? The union bosses don't give a crap about any of those people.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#6re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 12:16am

See, here's the thing. You're making all of this up, and you're going to get people all worried and riled up about based on nothing but your pure speculation. Yes, there might be some danger, but "probably just shut down" these shows? A little bit of a gun-jump, don't you think?

God, people are so obsessed with being the first to break the news that they'll post any old freaking lie just to get attention.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Heybeenfood Profile Photo
Heybeenfood
#7re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 12:17am

Drowsy and Les Mis are expected to close in a month or two anyway, so this is not so devestating to their producers. However, Legally Blonde is going to take a big hit, but there is no way it will close.

AngActing Profile Photo
AngActing
#8re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 12:17am

>> If everything else were to close- Wicked would still be
>> around. They have been at 100% for years.

Yeah, I get that . . . but, see, how much money loss is that for them each day? "Wicked" is losing more than any other show. Couldn't that be bad? I hope you are right that it will never close, no matter what!

Love and Stage Lights, Angela Theresa

billynj Profile Photo
billynj
#9re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 12:19am

Blonde will not close they are doing just fine, they can pay the rent off merch sales alone!

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#10re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 12:19am

Wicked has recouped a million times over, they haven't lost money since i don't know when(did they ever?)
I bet you my left testicle that Wicked will survive the Stagehand strike of '07!

henryt
#11re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 12:20am

Technically, the shows aren't "losing" that much. They're not making money, but all that they are losing is basically insurance.

myManCape Profile Photo
myManCape
#12re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 12:20am

I really don’t understand how this will effect any show that had not previously announced a closing? It is not every expensive to maintain an empty building for a few weeks. Plus $20-40 mill in the bank? Of coarse it will hurt the advance sales of every single show but I don’t think it will close any that were not planning to close otherwise. For shows doing poorly and not breaking even the strike could be saving them money.

I wish that Roundabout and MTC would extend their current productions just to keep something up on the boards.

"Have they come yet?"

kec Profile Photo
kec
#13re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 12:21am

"Drowsy and Les Mis are expected to close in a month or two anyway, so this is not so devestating to their producers."

Maybe not, but it sure as heck is somewhat "devastating" to those who have tickets for those shows.

Emcee, very well said.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#14re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 12:38am

RoundAbout shows are usually short runs> My husband and I have season tickets and will be seeing shows well into '08.

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#15re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 12:53am

Whether shows close because of this neverending ping-poing match we've been spectators for this past week, or not, it's still getting REALLY boring. No progress is being made? What the hell's the point of 'negotiating' if neither side wants to take the first step. It's a damn shame we can't change the chennel here, folks... Let's get to it, fix this QUICKLY (thank you very much!) and get NYC back on its feet.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#16re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 1:01am

Personally,

everyone who is saying that the producers and the union are very self centered because it is not allowing them to go see a show should take a look in the mirror.

I am sorry if I am comming off as a bit harsh. But there is one thing that you have to realize. You have to realize that almost every time someone says that they thinks that the stagehands or producers are gretty lists about four or so shows they want to see. I think that saying that the stage hands and the producers are greety because you can't go see your show is just as greedy as wha the two sides are doing.

I live in NYC. I have no problem waiting this out. I can see a broadway show whenever I want to. But, I do feel for the people who wanted to come to the city for vactation and see a show or two ect ect. But, saying that you think that the stage hands are bullies ect ect just because you have tickets of your own is not the way about it.

That is my two cents and I am stepping off my soap box now.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#17re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 1:07am

I didn't have any plans to see shows . . . but his is just plain wrong now, obnoxious, disgusting and rude! A way of life shut down by selfish people wanting it all and neither side compromising to get an American classic back on board!!!

Will we lose "Wicked" as well? That may kill me!

You're my hero! Honestly, if your posts are real, can I have your autograph?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#18re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 1:12am

I've been wondering for a while now why no one's called out AngActing for the huge sock puppet she is, but she's just so entertaining that I don't even care!

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

mauriposa
#19re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 1:14am

RENT, with 11 years on Broadway under its belt, is not going to fade quietly into the night because of a prolonged strike. Stop it.

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#20re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 1:15am

"I can see a broadway show whenever I want to."

A lot of people can't. I agree that it's not right to call the stagehands, Local One, et cetera bullies, but after saving up for a long time and sometimes even waiting a year to see something, who are they supposed to take their anger out on?

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

misschung
#21re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows

If everything else were to close- Wicked would still be around. They have been at 100% for years.

like cockroaches after an atomic bomb..

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#22re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows

She deserves her own sitcom! re: This Strike probably  just shut down 4-5 broadway shows

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

massofmen
#23re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 1:41am

you heard it here first. Les Mis will post notice this week.
and for those of you who think, "big deal, it was gonna close in jan anyway" tell that to the kids who just lost health insurance weeks, 401k and 8 more paychecks.
or how about the merch people who had jobs there..wardrobe, musicians. all before the holidays.
sure, its no big deal. gimme a break.

and why would legally blonde stay open? it hasn't nearly recouped. Its a 14 million dollar show that was HOPING to GOd it would sell tix during this time, cause they sure lost money in the fall. And jan -march is such a great time for sales. so blonde just lost 2 weeks of sales during a holiday season. thats whay 1.3 million, yea. no big deal. I am sure their investors are fine with that. THEY NEED TO RECOUP before they can make a PROFIT this is how biz works. Its called Business Education. They cant just sit there and give back all the money on their pre-ordered sales and think they will be fine. Don't you people get it? all those sales are HUGE to a show trying to recoup their investment. This kills them. what do they give them rain checks? jees

Wicked and J Boys dont care, they have 5 other productions to offset the costs.

wake up people. its called economics.

fengshuihellnyc
#24re: This Strike probably just shut down 4-5 broadway shows
Posted: 11/19/07 at 1:49am

Lets face it... The stagehands are the bullies. REALISM PEOPLE. The union knows they really aren't going to win here. When the union decided that they were going to strike they were trying to prove a point by making the public mad and were going to try making the producers that are supposedly making these millions of dollars look bad. ITS BACK FIRED IN THEIR OWN FACES. The union looks like asses and the producers have had nothing to do with it. The union has smacked every ticket and theatre goer in the face. Please try to tell me that the union was not trying to piss the public off which they in turn thought the public would blame the producers and try to use that against the producers. Just because someone has realistic business practices and actually wants to try and make some money as opposed to loose it week after week after week. Just because someone has money does not make them the evil one. Just because someone has more money does not make them the enemy. If you step back the idiot union is biting the hand that feeds them and won't be surprised when this really horribly backfires and possibly leaves 20% if not more of their workers out of work as opposed to may only a small few (that aren't working really anyway).

Videos