New Sweeney Todd Trailer

HouGuy77002
#1New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/20/07 at 6:59pm

Yeah, I get to post first. I just saw a new trailer. It had more music in it including "A Little Priest". I couldn't find a link, but keep your eyes and ears open.

Taka Profile Photo
Taka
#2re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/20/07 at 7:03pm

Dude! Really? How was it?

commasplice
#2re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/20/07 at 7:05pm

Heh, I was just about to post this! I caught it during a Law & Order rerun on USA -- took me completely by surprise.

For people looking for specifics, they had Sweeney singing "There's a hole in the world like a great black pit..." and, from "A Little Priest," the line, "It's man devouring man, my dear/And who are we to deny it in here?", which ended with Mrs. Lovett and Sweeney peering out the window of the barbershop. It sounded good (and I was so excited to hear it!).

There were a couple new images, including Johanna leaning out her window (at least, I don't think that's been in any of the other trailers).

HouGuy, did you find the voiceover to be kind of...odd? It seemed to clash with the dark nature of the film. Something about the magic of Tim Burton this holiday season?
Updated On: 11/20/07 at 07:05 PM

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#3re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/20/07 at 7:09pm

Sweet. Hopefully it'll be online soon (I don't really watch much TV).

lovelyspotlight Profile Photo
lovelyspotlight
#4re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/20/07 at 7:16pm

Yes...somebody please post it when it is! I don't even have a TV here. =/

joniray
#5re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/20/07 at 8:32pm

Just saw it. The good is it actually played up the fact that it was a musical (finally!). The weird news is, the voiceover, as someone mentioned before, sounded...well...like the kind of voice they normally use for the trailer of a Disney animated film.

"Come celebrate the music! A fun filled holiday spectacle for the whole family!" No, that's not exactly what it said, but it had that kind of feeling, as if the marketing department was thinking, okay now lets do a trailer for those who like musicals...like Sound of Music and Mary Poppins. I am exaggerating a bit, but it was just enough to be, as some one mentioned earlier, kind of "off" for a Sweeney trailer.

MovieDan82 Profile Photo
MovieDan82
#6re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/20/07 at 9:08pm

What channel?

joniray
#7re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/20/07 at 9:13pm

I saw it on A&E during CSI: Miami.

MovieDan82 Profile Photo
MovieDan82
#8re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/20/07 at 9:19pm

Damn...

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
#9re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/20/07 at 9:23pm

I'm dying to see this!

MovieDan82 Profile Photo
MovieDan82
#10re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/20/07 at 9:31pm

How did it sound?

joniray
#11re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/20/07 at 9:43pm

You mean the singing? Not enough to tell anything really. By the time I had found my remote and turned the volume up louder it was basically over.

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#12re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/20/07 at 10:10pm

This may not be allowed but still.

There's some audio on thesitethatwon'tbenamed of a screening of Sweeney Todd, with the audio of Johanna as a trio, My Friends, and Epiphany.

Just sayin'. I think it sounds great.

joniray
#13re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/20/07 at 10:14pm

Yes, I've heard it - I think it sounds great too re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#14re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/20/07 at 11:24pm

Not sur eif this is what you guys were talking about, but here is a nifty little clip of Epiphany... I'm not crazy about it, myself...
Epiphany Clip

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

joniray
#15re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/20/07 at 11:30pm

That's not the one we're talking about. There is one of the whole song.

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#16re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/20/07 at 11:42pm

Anyone who may have seen or heard the preview clips screening (Lincoln Center) will generally agree that Sweeney's "Johanna" sequence is hilarious and beautifully done.

Qualms with "Epiphany" or not, there are still some very very well-done songs and scenes in this film that will delight Sweeney fans, not to mention the gorgeous and committed film orchestrations. Dare I say the music sounds even better than before?

"My Friends" is fair. We get the feeling that Sweeney has missed the hell out of his razors, but Helena seems a bit down-played... this may have been Burton's direction. Seems a little more cloistered or uninterested in her delivery.

But the music! CHILLS!

Cruel_Sandwich
#17re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/20/07 at 11:56pm

I can't wait to see this.

Shapusen Profile Photo
Shapusen
#18re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/21/07 at 9:27am

We saw this trailer last night as well (during Nip/Tuck perhaps?). Everyone is dead on about how curiously cheerful the narration sounded. It was very exciting to finally hear some more of the musical numbers (singing - in a musical? whaaaa?).

Did anyone else notice how "It's man devouring man, my dear/And who are we to deny it in here?" seemed to end on a much more cheerful sounding chord? I sort of miss how its normally creepy and minor. Also, I almost didn't notice Helena was singing at all - her voice seemed very quiet and blended in with Depp's. This was probably just because it went by so fast that it was difficult to process.

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

broadwayman17
#19re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/22/07 at 1:04am

someone else posted the clip on another board, but here's the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rsg1fTfQgI

Yes, but sometimes people have a third deeper layer thats the same as the first. Like pie. Dr. Horrible
Updated On: 11/22/07 at 01:04 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#20re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/22/07 at 11:24am

The narration fits Stuart Little not Sweeney Todd.

Are they trying to attract the kiddies now? The ones who can't get in without a parent anyway? Because there's lots of blood and murder?

Somebody in Theatrical Marketing pushed for this... and it's a really bad idea. It also trivializes the impact (or expected impact) of the story.

Really stupid strategy.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#21re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/22/07 at 11:48am

The three trailers have each emphasized a different aspect of Sweeney Todd. The first one played up the revenge angle. The second, the horror and thriller elements. This latest trailer shows more of the comic/musical theatre side of the show. For Sweeney to reach a broad audience, it has to be all things to all people. You may think it's a stupid strategy, Best12, but there are millions of people around the country who haven't heard or seen the show and have no idea what it is about. These trailers are not necessarily for the theatre savvy, who already know what the project is all about and are well aware of the film's existence.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#22re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/22/07 at 11:51am

in that "A Little Priest" bit, shouldn't Mrs. Lovett have sang a harmony?

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#23re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/22/07 at 1:21pm

I Really want to hear Green Finch!!

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#25re: New Sweeney Todd Trailer
Posted: 11/22/07 at 10:09pm

I just caught it on the first commercial break for Grey's Anatomy here in Denver.

Just give the world Love.