pixeltracker

Negotiations have broken down!!- Page 4

Negotiations have broken down!!

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#75re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 11:09am

I have no words...I am shocked. I actually thought I was going to wake up to good news.

This is ridiculous.

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

JulianHookbucks Profile Photo
JulianHookbucks
#76re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 11:13am

when all of this is over (not if, WHEN.) will there be a report as to what actualy went on? Like... a legal document that states what actually happened in the discussions?

that's a really big mic...

Fosse76
#77re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 11:29am

"a legal document that states what actually happened in the discussions?"

It's generally called the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

StageFan2 Profile Photo
StageFan2
#78re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 11:32am

No Julian.

No one will ever know what went on in that room. You'll be left to draw your own conclusions.

But I gaurantee the only thing that will count is that an agreement has been reached and the strikers are being told to remove their pickets and to return to work. Allowing lives return to return to some semblance of normalcy. Once this done - no one will care beyond that fact.

Lynnespock2
#79re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 11:47am

In all of this, I can only say, sigh!

I wish, I wish, but if wishes were horses, oh well, another day.

Live long and prosper. Marriage equity now!

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#80re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:48pm

both sides are a bunch of Fking fools, not sure who will win this ... unlike you sheep I dont worsship at the feet of either side in this fight.

I'll believe this when billynj posts ONE POSITIVE THING about the stagehands' side.

If the League can afford full page ads in the Times just to brag about their concessions, they can afford $56/hr floor moppers.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

theater_nut
#81re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:48pm

I agree the talks should have never broken down over the damn mopping guy. Hell, we shouldn't have been in this strike for this long, it's RIDICULOUS.

THe mopping guy seems like a small detail and a waste of money on the surface, but this is a JOB that has been held by someone for years. It's important. How would Equity members feel if next year the producers want to pay swings only for the time they are on stage? Or what if they decide in a 9 show holiday week, to only pay a flat 8 show scale? These issues have AND WILL come up if Local One doesn't fight for what's right, as painful as this is.

But keep in mind, this is a class struggle. The Union is trying to preserve jobs over the next 10-20 years. The Producers are trying to crunch numbers over 10-20 years, with no regard for anything but that. it's as simple as that. They had their calculators and spreadsheets out, literally trying to shave off digits until they met their budget. One the one hand, I can see the logic in that...

HOWEVER - have you ever gotten a Verizon bill and there's about $30 of fees on there. What do you do? YOU PAY IT. Why? because THATS THE GODDAMN WAY IT IS. The mopping guy IS THE WAY IT IS. You want a big glitsy Bway show? Well, thats THE WAY IT IS. PAY THE MOPPING GUY. The producers are killing Broadway in the process of trying to shave off the little guy. Jesus Christ, just cave on the Mopping guy so we can get back to work!

Producers aren't thinking about livelihoods, jobs, traditions or even the ticketholders fans and tourists. All they want is to make their bottom line. They are cheap. Have you ever noticed that rich people tend to be the cheapest people on earth? Ever been out to dinner and the wealthiest one leaves the least amount? This is what we are dealing with here. It's a number game, and unfortunately, until the producers get that number down, we will still be out of work.

And next year, it will happen when they try to re-economize the Actors, and then in 2010 with musicians. This will happen until Broadway is a Vegas-y style themepark playground with non-union talent. THis is the struggle we are trying to stop from happening now, otherwise it will become the nightmare I just described.

claudia2
#82re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 1:36pm

theter nut: Why are you obsessed with the mopping item. I believe that one has been rectified alredy. As far as I know, the only point still being discussed is the "continiuty." By the way, the head prop guy has to mop the stage. As per stage management it has to be mopped before every performance. The stage has to dry before anyone can walk on it. You get yelled at if you walk on the stage while it is wet!! THe prop guy must get there an hour before everyone else, there fore he has to be paid for one more hour (because he is at the theater an hour earlier.) If you go into your job an hour early do you get paid for the hour? So it really isn't that unreasonable that the prop guy get paid for work he is doing.

billynj Profile Photo
billynj
#81re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 1:51pm

mopping is the only issue right now, thats why no one wants to publicly talk about it. honor and respect

claudia2
Posted: 11/27/07 at 1:53pm

I thought the last issue was the "continuity" issue.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Posted: 11/27/07 at 1:54pm

But it's more patronizing to say it's about "mopping", oversimplifying the work being done and logistics surrounding it. Billynj.

You are back on the BAAAAAAAAAD list!

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#83re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 2:00pm

As far as I, a performer, am concerned, sweeping and mopping the floor is the most important job a stagehand can do.

Of course, it's a job that is associated with housecleaners...and so degrading it is not only classist, but, considering who are hired as house and office cleaners in this country, racist as well!

Since it can also be viewed as 'woman's work', let's throw misogyny in as well!!

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

John4763
#84re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 2:07pm

Anyone happen to know if there's ever been a longer strike on Broadway? Is this one a record?

Fosse76
#85re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 2:09pm

"mopping is the only issue right now, thats why no one wants to publicly talk about it. honor and respect"

And this where you once again show your profound ignorance. Mopping AND continuity calls are the only teo unresolved issues.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#86re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 2:12pm

Woah, Nellies!

Because Billynj's flying monkeys said the issue was mopping, you are all taking it seriously? Did I miss something? Is this fact?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

bugmenot
#87re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 2:15pm

The mopping issue was resolved.

Talks will resume Wednesday morning.

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#88re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 2:33pm

Anyone happen to know if there's ever been a longer strike on Broadway? Is this one a record?

1975 musicians strike, 25 days. (The papers keep repeating that one.)

VenusEnvy
#89re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 2:39pm

Can someone please explain to me what the " continuity" issue is?

THANKS! :)

bugmenot
#90re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 3:09pm

Continuity refers to an additional 1-hour work period that can be scheduled prior to a show or immediately after it, i.e. in continuity with the performance call. Current practice is that you can have one before the show (which most shows do, in order to set up the show, check lights, etc) OR one immediately after the show, but not both. This will probably be revised in this next contract.

roadmixer
#91re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 6:19pm

Oops... billynj's nasty little post with an un-authorized link to the Local One newsletter has been deleted...

Too bad. So sad...

billynj Profile Photo
billynj
#92re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 6:22pm

unauthorized link its right on the front page of the local website for anyone to read..some of you guys are such liars

Mooo
#93re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 6:34pm

"mopping is the only issue right now, thats why no one wants to publicly talk about it. honor and respect "

Lying again...................

Billynj are you trying to get this thread pulled also. I'm a card carrying member of Local 1 and mopping is not the only issue right now. Get some new sources.

I blame George Bush for all of this.......

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#94re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 6:54pm

BWW Mop Brigade Unite!!!

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

StageFan2 Profile Photo
StageFan2
#95re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 7:04pm

Can I join the brigade? I always wanted to be part of a brigade. Not only can I mop...I can wax and burnish! I can be mop management! Woohoo! Hey mom look at me...I'm on top the world! re: Negotiations have... well, halted

Hehe...gotta do something till 10 tomorrow morning.

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#96re: Negotiations have... well, halted
Posted: 11/27/07 at 7:09pm

Poor billynj represents everything that is wrong with the League. They too are probably getting most of their information from the NYTimes.

I do wish we had someone competent to discuss the Leagues woes with. Margo and a few at least can give us some unbiased respones which I really do appreciate from all of you. I don't mean any of you. It is just something more substantial. I am sorry but only the Union guys here seem to really have much new information to add. I mean besides the slanted news. Unfortunately that leaves billy at a loss for words.

This really is going on too long. I have to admit I can't believe they are risking the Christmas Season like this. Compromise is so simple and I really cannot understand the Leagues over confidence in this manner. All they will accomplish is making more Hollywood and big Broadway Stars want to look elsewhere.

Please people make a note of all of this. It would behoove you to be stuck working on a Stage when the AEA contract comes up next year. This is how they treat their own. Work the Spring but have some back-up for the Summer and Fall next year. I have no doubts they are really are aiming to destroy everything we love and appreciate about Broadway.

One thing they have proven is how little respect they really have for those who Entertain us. It is shameful. I always hope we have come past this type of greed. They may win a little but what they will lose for this game will be a lot. They have at least accomplished something for those of us who wonder if the glamour is rubbing off on Broadway.

I fear a future when once again it will sink into the a sleezy industry that only the down and out and desperate care to venture into. Producers in the future will pay dearly for this cat and mouse game. Broadway may seem nice but it is hardly the only game in Town. I came to see what it was like. Now that I have a closer look at the insiders who claim to want a top notch industry. Really what they want is whoever they can pull off the streets at the cheapest wages they can negotiate. I fear it has lost some of it's glitz for me.

Why do I want to spend so much money to support those who care only about their profits and are willing to force their staff to struggle and beg for profits they have enjoyed in excess? It doesn't scream American Dream to me. It just makes our Country look foolish and petty. It makes Europe and Canada look so much more appealing to those who like to travel and are conscience of the state of the over all Entertainment Industry.

Of course, excluding those who will do anything to be on Broadway, including turning it into some flea circus, chasing away many who have great talent for a more respectable place to do business. I do fear what the big picture really represents for us all.